Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

14 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The IU forum I was on before BTownbanners was Our Hoosier Board and it initially consisted totally of posters who left the ESPN message boards because of moderator ridiculousness.

I absolutely loved ESPN back in the day. I spent a crap ton of hours from 2010-2013 on there. Big Ten mailbags, game threads, talking crap to SEC football fans. And I actually still keep in touch with those SEC fans on another site that one of them created after ESPN shutdown. CBSSPorts was really good too until it closed. Still keep in touch with some of those guys as well... One of them actually just passed away last week. But I found this place because ESPN shutdown.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

If WV names Crean coach, the whole damn Mountaineer fanbase will get DUI’s after a month-long bender on moonshine.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They won’t.  Crean is tarnished I think.  Before the Georgia move, this would have been a good fit.  

If Crean wants to reestablish himself, likely would need to do so at a mid-major.  And in the day of NIL, I think he could succeed there.

10 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If Crean wants to reestablish himself, likely would need to do so at a mid-major.  And in the day of NIL, I think he could succeed there.

It's funny because when you listen to Crean he acts like he's just waiting for the Perfect fit that is on the same page and offers all of the things.  etc.  You'd think he thinks he's inline for some top 25 program.  

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It's funny because when you listen to Crean he acts like he's just waiting for the Perfect fit that is on the same page and offers all of the things.  etc.  You'd think he thinks he's inline for some top 25 program.  

He probably thinks he is. 

2 hours ago, go iu bb said:

He probably thinks he is. 

Crean is Calimari light. His candle just doesn't stay on fire as long as Cal, because he has a periodic conscious, Cal doesn't. pUKe will be in an investigation for wrong doing with 1-2 years, just after Cal moves on to something else.   

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That might be what he feels it would take for him to coach again -- which is something that isn't going to happen.  He might enjoy his semi-retirement, doing some occasional tv gigs and living off what he made coaching.  Nothing wrong with not wanting to live the nomadic life of coaching when you've been there, done that.

Saw ESPN listed their top 25 today. I think now is the best time to look at it as most rosters are complete. Ours may/may not be. A few things that stand out: 

1) I think Kansas is the clear cut #1 team. On paper they are loaded. That game in December at Assembly Hall will be a true measuring stick game for our team this year. That being said..who was the last preseason #1 to win it all. Carolina with Hansbrough and those guys? Florida in '07? Lots of pressure...

2) Really like the next set of teams like Michigan State, Tennessee, UConn, and Duke. UConn really helped themselves returning Newton and getting Spencer. Tennessee I think had a very good offseason with returning guys. Kills me to say this but Knecht is going to help that team so much. They've lacked an elite shooter like him. Michigan State and Duke return the same team for the most part. 

3) I think Houston, Gonzaga, Florida Atlantic, Marquette, and Creighton are also in the mix as legit final four contenders. 

4) I think there are probably 25-30 teams you could rank from 11-25...Really good for the game. IU could be a 3/4 seed..they could also be an 8/9 seed. A lot of teams adding new pieces. Just so much uncertainty. 

5) I love that Purdue is being considered as a top 5 team...these experts not watch the end of last year? I think you have to say they're a top 15 team with a guy like Edey returning. I'm just not impressed with that supporting cast. I think Loyer is the only other player that is a starter on a really good team. The 22-23 Purdue team is by far the most overrated college basketball team of the last 20 years. And I'm not saying that because I'm an IU homer. They had a very good Thanksgiving weekend and an easy B1G Schedule.

Edit: LOL they have to include Kentucky on the next list out..IF Bradshaw and Reeves were healthy/returning they are for sure ranked. In fact, I think top 15 good. But I'm not sure they're an NCAA Tournament team right now, especially if Bradshaw is hurt. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36058691/2023-24-way-too-early-top-25-men-college-basketball-rankings

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm not going to gripe too much about a preseason top 25 when it's only June, but I think we're being severely overlooked. 

Sure seems that way to me too.  Woodson doesn't get the bump of confidence other coaches get.  Different program, different coach, same roster its a top 15 team I think.  The guys have to get out there and prove it seems. Maybe if we still add a SG with clout that bumps us to a top 25 team ranking wise.  It's feeling like we are holding though to me.  

26 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm not going to gripe too much about a preseason top 25 when it's only June, but I think we're being severely overlooked. 

Did you see at the end they have St John’s as “Next in Line”? And Kentucky right ahead of them?

Do we have questions that need answered? Absolutely - but I can say with a serious degree of certainty we could run either of them out of the gym right now.

29 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sure seems that way to me too.  Woodson doesn't get the bump of confidence other coaches get.  Different program, different coach, same roster its a top 15 team I think.  The guys have to get out there and prove it seems. Maybe if we still add a SG with clout that bumps us to a top 25 team ranking wise.  It's feeling like we are holding though to me.  

Yup, I think we are going to "Stand Pat".

36 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Did you see at the end they have St John’s as “Next in Line”? And Kentucky right ahead of them?

Do we have questions that need answered? Absolutely - but I can say with a serious degree of certainty we could run either of them out of the gym right now.

For anyone to believe that UK would be able to play with IU, you'd have to believe that:

• Freshman pg Dillingham is better than Xavier Johnson, when Dillingham was irrefutably outplayed by Gabe Cupps in their recent head to head matchup.
  • That (the injured) Bradshaw, Edwards, and Wagner are significantly better than Mgbako as freshman prospects when, while on the same AAU team, Wagner, Mack, and Bradshaw had similar numbers and Mgbako was their primary option during crunch time.
  • That Thiero is a better PF prospect than Reneau, even though Reneau was higher rated, and as a freshman significantly outperformed Thiero.
  • That Oneyso is a better prospect than Ware, even though Ware was higher rated, and as a freshman significantly outperformed Oneyso.
  • That a bench of Sheppard, Burks, Thiero (if Bradshaw plays) and Hart (who was offered only a walk-on spot at IU this month) is preferable to a bench of MAC first teamer Sparks, U Miami rotation player Walker, Banks, Gunn, Cupps, and Newton.
  • That a team with no juniors, seniors, portal additions, or as of June 20th the ability to run a five v. five scrimmage can compete with a team filed with 20-23 year olds.
  • That in some whacky universe, Calipari is as effective a game coach, culture builder, and player developer as Mike Woodson.

The whole thing is indescribably stupid.

EDIT: I jinxed it! Add Reeves, which undoubtedly helps them and almost allows them to play a five v five scrimmage.

33 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

Yup, I think we are going to "Stand Pat".

Stand Pat does move better than Miller Kopp.

personally, I’d still like to see IU bring in a shooter, even if it’s just bench guy.  Not sure what grad transfers are available.

1 hour ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

I totally agree, but I'm kind of glad we aren't ranked.  Just win and everything takes care of itself.