Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

3 hours ago, IH8PU said:

I've got a problem of sorts. I like Dusty May and Mark Pope, coaches of two schools I hate with a passion. 

The Pope thing is a problem for me, too. I really like the guy and I'd like to see him do well to stick his finger in the collective eye of that entitled-a$$ fanbase. And yet, I don't want them happy in any way for any reason. Coining this the pUKe Paradox.

1 hour ago, Banksyrules said:

If they destroy us you think dilemma will be resolved?

Good question. I can say that I will always hate Michigan and Kentucky but I cannot say I will ever dislike Dusty May or Mark Pope.

So the Matthew Graves family wakes up this morning in Terre Haute Indiana. They have a pay raise, a dream job, TWO players on the roster not counting the walk-on staying, a couple of student managers, ONE assistant coach on staff ....

You have to wonder what would be the response if IU was in this predicament?

He said he has been on the phone for months trying to get a high mid major or a P5 school to come to Hulman Center to play them ... crickets. Has he called IU ? Of course like all the other schools, it's a no win situation and I only have to remember the years IU was beat by ISU in AH with Davis or at IPFW with Archie.

He says he will keep the same offensive system, "layups or 3's" (not his words) and will recruit players to fit that system. 

Dream job or not Matthew Graves is in a rough situation.

He follows the best season ISU has had in 40 some years. A new President shows up July 1. A new AD is planned but has NOT been hired yet. Team is gone. Managers are gone, Staff are gone.

Looks like IU has a lot going for it this off-season. 

I don't want to hear ONE EXCUSE next year in any IU coach or IU players interviews. NONE !!!

33 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

We're ranked in the Top 16. LOL.

According to College Basketball Report, how the coaches rate in the new-look B1G. 

No way there are four coaches below Kevin Willard. 

not a chance 

I've never liked UK and never will. I liked Pitino though and I was interested in his 1996 team because of Mark Pope. I attended UW games while living in the Seattle area and Mark Pope was a Freshman then. He transferred to the UK the following year, so that is the connection. I don't know him but only watched him play.

Well like I have for Matthew Graves at ISU, Dusty May at Michigan ... I was curious today so I wandered over to YouTube to find the UK press conference. Only UK could pull something like that off. Their intro was amazing. Their area was full. It lasted almost an hour and a half because Mark liked to tell stories.

It was a much different press conference than any I have seen for college basketball or college football. It will be interesting to see what changes he brings to UK because watching that you would have forgot that Calipari was ever at UK ... seriously.

On 4/12/2024 at 6:46 PM, steubenhoosier said:

Don’t know if there is a thread for this kind of news or maybe one should be started…

Clingan from UCONN has entered the draft.

Top five pick and maybe the worst college player taken.

On 4/12/2024 at 4:22 PM, Demo said:

The Pope thing is a problem for me, too. I really like the guy and I'd like to see him do well to stick his finger in the collective eye of that entitled-a$$ fanbase. And yet, I don't want them happy in any way for any reason. Coining this the pUKe Paradox.

A lot of us have this with Painter, too, I believe.

To me, yes, best case scenario in balancing those two feelings is 1) we win head-to-head, 2) ideally we’re better year-to-year (if not always, then at least much more often then post-2016), 3) they hilariously slip on a banana peel sometimes and 4) they don’t get titles.

Unlike Painter, Pope probably can’t last forever at UK with a resume that has those blemishes.

13 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

No way there are four coaches below Kevin Willard. 

not a chance 

Yeah.

We diss Woody a lot, but he's 3-1 against Williard and we finished ahead of Maryland in both of Williard's years there. 

Makes no sense he's rated two spots up. 

59 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

I've never liked UK and never will. I liked Pitino though and I was interested in his 1996 team because of Mark Pope. I attended UW games while living in the Seattle area and Mark Pope was a Freshman then. He transferred to the UK the following year, so that is the connection. I don't know him but only watched him play.

Well like I have for Matthew Graves at ISU, Dusty May at Michigan ... I was curious today so I wandered over to YouTube to find the UK press conference. Only UK could pull something like that off. Their intro was amazing. Their area was full. It lasted almost an hour and a half because Mark liked to tell stories.

It was a much different press conference than any I have seen for college basketball or college football. It will be interesting to see what changes he brings to UK because watching that you would have forgot that Calipari was ever at UK ... seriously.

It's sorta hard to not like Mark Pope, though it's still easy to detest UK!