Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

I’ve tried to be fair and give Painter and Edey the credit they deserve. The did make it to the championship game. Edey and the staff put the work in. On the other hand I just feel like the Giant standing under the basket is sort of gimmicky? Edey reminds me of my teenage years with my nerf basketball goal in my bedroom. I think it is unhealthy for the game and I’m glad it’s over for now.

6 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I’ve tried to be fair and give Painter and Edey the credit they deserve. The did make it to the championship game. Edey and the staff put the work in. On the other hand I just feel like the Giant standing under the basket is sort of gimmicky? Edey reminds me of my teenage years with my nerf basketball goal in my bedroom. I think it is unhealthy for the game and I’m glad it’s over for now.

If you guys think that Loyer sux now? Wait until he's not getting open catch and shoot jumpers as a result of Edey constantly being double-teamed.

10 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

Is there any chance he…and I’m worried to say it out loud…comes back to try to win it all next year?!?

Really don’t want to watch him again. 

He already said he's gone and is going pro. Purdue has been planning as if he's gone so I don't see that happening. 

it's an odd place to criticize Purdue after they had a dominating year...but the critique most had of them was they were a giant surrounded by opportunistic mid players and that's exactly what they were last night. Most of their roster is average at best. They had a great year and sure whooped our butts....but at no point was I rooting for them lol. My B1G or Midwestern alliances do not include Purdue even though I like Painter and wish him personal success. 

Here is who Purdue currently has on scholarship for next year.

Smith 

Loyer 

Catchings

Kaufman-Renn

Colvin

Berg

Heide

Waddell

Harris 

Cox

Burgess

Benter

Jacobson

Furst

They are currently over signed by 1. I could see a couple guys transferring and them adding another piece from the portal. 

7 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

.....it can work, but you need an athletically, mobile big with a good midrange shot and a great passer with excellent court vision. I see this with TJD and look how well he is doing now.

Zach getting credited for 0 assists is a disaster. He was totally gassed and had no help. That's the problem with a huge big like Edey. The further he gets away from the basket he almost becomes a liability. UCONN pulled him away from the basket on defense then exploited his lack of quickness and inability to get back it time. 

JMO

Just now, steubenhoosier said:

For all the props Painter gets for being such a good coach, I sure didn't see him make any adjustments last night that would suggest that he didn't choke on the largest stage.

What adjustments could he make? His team was outmatched at every position except center there's only so much that you can do in that situation. 

20 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Oh, it's not over. Berg, who's 7'3", was redshirted this year and they have Jacobsen, also 7'3", in the '24 class. This is their model.

9 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Smith 

Loyer 

Catchings

Kaufman-Renn

Colvin

Berg

Heide

Waddell

Harris 

Cox

Burgess

Benter

Jacobson

Furst

They are currently over signed by 1. I could see a couple guys transferring and them adding another piece from the portal. 

ESPN way to early (in other words completely worthless list just to get clicks) has that line up at #6. 

6 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

ESPN way too early (in other words completely worthless list just to get clicks) has that line up at #6. 

Wouldn’t pretend to have started looking at next year past IU, but anyone who watched Purdue last night and sees a top 10 roster minus Edey is stone nuts. 

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If you guys think that Loyer sux now? Wait until he's not getting open catch and shoot jumpers as a result of Edey constantly being double-teamed.

I think depending on what they do there’s probably still a place for a decent catch and shoot guy like Loyer. Smith will have to really add to his game in the offseason, to avoid a major regression, imo. A healthy amount of his assists were lobs or just straight post feeds to Edey. 

20 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Smith 

Loyer 

Catchings

Kaufman-Renn

Colvin

Berg

Heide

Waddell

Harris 

Cox

Burgess

Benter

Jacobson

Furst

I'm shocked that Painter didn't go out and get this guy to replace Edey.  So many similarities played at IMG and his is Canadian.  Would of continue the Purdue lurch traditions. 

image.jpeg.e203fcc8377fc3f7115dee3bb87119d3.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

.....it can work, but you need an athletically, mobile big with a good midrange shot and a great passer with excellent court vision. I see this with TJD and look how well he is doing now.

Zach getting credited for 0 assists is a disaster. He was totally gassed and had no help. That's the problem with a huge big like Edey. The further he gets away from the basket he almost becomes a liability. UCONN pulled him away from the basket on defense then exploited his lack of quickness and inability to get back it time. 

JMO

Yeah can't recall the exact number but remember seeing 40+ points in the paint for UConn.  It was pretty much all done by pulling Edey out and screening the back cutter.  Like you said Edey way to slow to defend the rim.  It was poetry in motion

21 minutes ago, Demo said:

Oh, it's not over. Berg, who's 7'3", was redshirted this year and they have Jacobsen, also 7'3", in the '24 class. This is their model.

The longer he stays in an (extra) big dominant model the harder time may have recruiting guards with high end athleticism and skillsets that want to do more than feed the post. Sounds oddly familiar.

38 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

For all the props Painter gets for being such a good coach, I sure didn't see him make any adjustments last night that would suggest that he didn't choke on the largest stage.

It might be the hatred I have for all things PUke ... but when the s*** was hitting the fan he seemed to have that all too familiar NCAA deer in the headlights look. He had no answer and there may have not been one for UCONN's defensive strategy. I watched with pleasure of course. :)

39 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Smith 

Loyer 

Catchings

Kaufman-Renn

Colvin

Berg

Heide

Waddell

Harris 

Cox

Burgess

Benter

Jacobson

Furst

There's no way Furst comes back. I bet he hits the portal this week.

Did he even play last night?