Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Do Not Fire Mike Woodson

5 hours ago, AH1971 said:

If Mike Woodson didn't deserve a 4th year, none of the current or future HoF coaches I listed prior did either.

I rest my case. 

That is an apples and oranges comparison. These aforementioned coaches didn't have the luxury of NIL and Portal. Like I said previously, after year 2 or 3, you pretty much know the trajectory of your program. Here's hoping year 4 is a success. 

3 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Jay Wright was worse in year 3 than year 1, as was Mike Krzyzewski. I don't believe either would have gotten the leniency here given this boards standard. Hell Archie was light years improved in year 3 from year 1 and most wanted him gone after his 2nd season. 

I don't remember did they have a good NIL package back then? Since I don't think they had NIL back then, the comparison isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. 

1 hour ago, J34 said:

That is an apples and oranges comparison. These aforementioned coaches didn't have the luxury of NIL and Portal. Like I said previously, after year 2 or 3, you pretty much know the trajectory of your program. Here's hoping year 4 is a success. 

That is certainly an opinion. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I don't remember did they have a good NIL package back then? Since I don't think they had NIL back then, the comparison isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. 

Then why are coaches still given 4-5 year contracts in the NIL era instead of 1-2 year contracts? Because building something doesn't always happen overnight, even in the current climate. You're telling me Dusty May is only going to get two years at Michigan? Because of NIL? Stupid to suggest otherwise. 

On 8/15/2024 at 9:16 PM, AH1971 said:

The current best coach in college basketball, Dan Hurley, would have been fired based on this boards criteria for retention well before winning his first title. Through 4 years at UConn, Hurley had:

-two missed tournaments

-zero tournament wins

-both tournament losses to lower seeded teams

-highest conference finish of 3rd place

Jay Wright wouldn’t have made it here. Nor Scott Drew. Or Tony Bennet. Coach K would have been fired long before he ever saw national success. 

You need more or do you get my gist?

Of the post-Knight IU coaches, which guy would you say is Jay Wright, which is Coach K, and which is Dan Hurley?

41 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Of the post-Knight IU coaches, which guy would you say is Jay Wright, which is Coach K, and which is Dan Hurley?

This has gone over your head…again. None of those coaches would have become relevant had they only been given 2-3 seasons. Making my point yet again.

25 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

This has gone over your head…again. None of those coaches would have become relevant had they only been given 2-3 seasons. Making my point yet again.

Davis - 6 years

Sampson - <2 year

Crean - 9 years (including 3 terrible years at the beginning)

Miller - 4 years

Only 1 was in the 2-3 year (or less) range and he got himself fired. Ironically, he was the best coach of the bunch. So the narrative that IU has this great turnover in coaches is just false. 

Yet somehow, none of those 3 turned into the next Coach K, Jay Wright, or Dan Hurley. Odd. In fact, they all flamed out and did poorly after IU except for Sampson. 

Good thing we have the greatest coach ever now.

27 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Davis - 6 years

Sampson - <2 year

Crean - 9 years (including 3 terrible years at the beginning)

Miller - 4 years

Only 1 was in the 2-3 year (or less) range and he got himself fired. Ironically, he was the best coach of the bunch. So the narrative that IU has this great turnover in coaches is just false. 

Yet somehow, none of those 3 turned into the next Coach K, Jay Wright, or Dan Hurley. Odd. In fact, they all flamed out and did poorly after IU except for Sampson. 

Good thing we have the greatest coach ever now.

We’re on our 5th coach since the turn of the century….

Name another program in the country who has consistently won at a respectable level with a comparable turnover rate as Indiana in said time frame? You can’t because they don’t exist. IU has a terrible turnover rate when it comes to coaching retention. Don’t kid yourself.

13 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Name another program in the country who has consistently won at a respectable level with the same coaching turnover rate as Indiana in said time frame? You can’t because they don’t exist. IU has a terrible turnover rate when it comes to coaching retention. Don’t kid yourself.

If you're winning at a respectable level, you don't need to change coaches. Right? 

We have a bad retention rate because we've hired bad coaches. It's that simple. 

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

If you're winning at a respectable level, you don't need to change coaches. Right? 

Keep turnin’ and burning’!!! That’ll surely fix things lol.

19 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Name another program in the country who has consistently won at a respectable level with a comparable turnover rate as Indiana in said time frame? You can’t because they don’t exist. IU has a terrible turnover rate when it comes to coaching retention. Don’t kid yourself.

But they're not being fired in 2-3 years for not winning enough as you seem to be claiming. They're given time and still fail to consistently win and are let go. The anomaly (Sampson) really drives down the average number of years. He wasn't fired for not winning, he was fired despite winning. 

19 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that we have a high turnover rate because we’re not winning consistently, not vice versa? What about Crean’s 15-57 record in the SEC makes you think we let a good one go too soon? What about Archie’s 21-42 record makes you think IU lost a good one?

IU’s problem is that it makes joke hires like Mike Woodson and then keeps them for too long because “you gotta give em time to get it going!” 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that we have a high turnover rate because we’re not winning consistently, not vice versa? What about Crean’s 15-57 record in the SEC makes you think we let a good one go too soon? What about Archie’s 21-42 record makes you think IU lost a good one?

IU’s problem is that it makes joke hires like Mike Woodson and then keeps them for too long because “you gotta give em time to get it going!” 

You ever think the reason why IU is getting the Archie Miller’s and Mike Woodson’s of the world is because the coaching retention sucks?? I’d love to hear who you think IU is going to get once Woodson is gone? Especially someone who is going to win overnight since you know, you can tell a coaches future trajectory all within a year or two…BeCAuSE NiL.

12 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Keep turnin’ and burning’!!! That’ll surely fix things lol.

Weather has been pretty nice lately… Maybe you’d enjoy a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood occasionally? Nobody on this board is solving the state of IUBB. Nobody here has hiring/firing authority. Genuinely… what exactly do you think you’re accomplishing by keeping this utterly tired offseason debate alive with such vigor? Until the season starts at least, most people pretty much have their minds made up… not sure why you care so much about other people’s opinions, which ultimately make no difference in the real world. Lot of energy and emotion you seem to be putting into this. Hope you find it worthwhile.

33 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Actually 6 because DD was officially the HC to end that season 

Just now, Home Jersey said:

Weather has been pretty nice lately… Maybe you’d enjoy a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood occasionally? Nobody on this board is solving the state of IUBB. Nobody here has hiring/firing authority. Genuinely… what exactly do you think you’re accomplishing by keeping this utterly tired offseason debate alive with such vigor? Until the season starts at least, most people pretty much have their minds made up… not sure why you care so much about other people’s opinions, which ultimately make no difference in the real world. 

Suggest you stay out of the Do Not Fire Mike Woodson thread if you can’t handle somebody with a differing opinion

20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Maybe top coaching candidates don't want to coach here and be under the pressure of our fan base. It looks s obvious these blue bloods are having trouble hiring  elite coaches when they have openings. For the most part hiring a coach is going to be crap shoot because you aren't getting a no doubt home run hire.