Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Came in with a lot of high flying excitement and after day one of practice seems a little more subdued….like a little closer to IU football reality.  Parallels of IU coach interviews for forever as season approaches.  Sunbelt does not equal 9 of the games on the 12 game regular season schedule.  It equals 3 games of the 12 game regular schedule….and maybe 4 or 5 wins searching for number 6 in November.  Maybe, Maybe not for year one of the honeymoon.

On 8/1/2024 at 5:14 PM, TTT said:

Came in with a lot of high flying excitement and after day one of practice seems a little more subdued….like a little closer to IU football reality.  Parallels of IU coach interviews for forever as season approaches.  Sunbelt does not equal 9 of the games on the 12 game regular season schedule.  It equals 3 games of the 12 game regular schedule….and maybe 4 or 5 wins searching for number 6 in November.  Maybe, Maybe not for year one of the honeymoon.

Tell us one IUFB head football coached that was hired with this kind of resume. 

There's absolutely nothing even remotely close or parallel to past coaches. We got ourselves someone that knows something, winning.  

27 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Tell us one IUFB head football coached that was hired with this kind of resume. 

There's absolutely nothing even remotely close or parallel to past coaches. We got ourselves someone that knows something, winning.  

He also hasn't spent his whole career at the lower levels and therefore might not know how to evaluate P4 talent. He was also an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Alabama under Nick Saban who (checks notes) aren't bad at winning.

15 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Interesting break down of how far BIG football teams have to travel for this season: Link

IUI has the least (4895miles) UCLA the most (22,048 miles!) Racking up the frequent flier miles in Westwood. 

Related: I was reading about Stanford and Cal's move to the ACC and how, on most of their road trips, the equipment semis will have to leave on MONDAY and won't return to campus until Tuesday or Wednesday, meaning any important equipment has to be packed on the plane for the return trip. For reference, IU's usually leaves late Thursday and is home on Sunday. I envy none of the people involved in logistics with realignment.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Related: I was reading about Stanford and Cal's move to the ACC and how, on most of their road trips, the equipment semis will have to leave on MONDAY and won't return to campus until Tuesday or Wednesday, meaning any important equipment has to be packed on the plane for the return trip. For reference, IU's usually leaves late Thursday and is home on Sunday. I envy none of the people involved in logistics with realignment.

At that point, just work out a deal to have a storage building in like North Carolina. Keep a set of everything there to go to Pittsburgh and down to Miami. Or even further west like in Alabama or something so they can get to SMU as well.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

At that point, just work out a deal to have a storage building in like North Carolina. Keep a set of everything there to go to Pittsburgh and down to Miami. Or even further west like in Alabama or something so they can get to SMU as well.

You probably could for some stuff and I'm not in the slightest feeling sorry for the schools' athletics budgets, but those semis are carrying multiple millions of dollars worth of equipment and are expertly packed to the gills. I don't think the finance folks will sign off on doubling up for 2-3 games a year. Just another reason that this realignment is dumb.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

You probably could for some stuff and I'm not in the slightest feeling sorry for the schools' athletics budgets, but those semis are carrying multiple millions of dollars worth of equipment and are expertly packed to the gills. I don't think the finance folks will sign off on doubling up for 2-3 games a year. Just another reason that this realignment is dumb.

How do NFL teams handle the moving of their equipment for cross country games? Cargo planes? I expect college teams will adopt similar methods.

15 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

How do NFL teams handle the moving of their equipment for cross country games? Cargo planes? I expect college teams will adopt similar methods.

They also use trucks. Between much smaller travel parties (NFL teams only travel ~50 players vs. 70ish for the B1G at least) and a less intense schedule equipment-wise, I think it's a bit simpler for NFL teams.

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

It's definitely their doing and their problem. But if I'm Cal or Stanford, I'm getting together and buying a warehouse and storing everything for every sport and splitting the bill.

Oh good lord Osterman. I've seen plenty of irrational exuberance on message boards, but Osterman wrote this with a straight face and may have won the all-time optimist trophy.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh good lord Osterman. I've seen plenty of irrational exuberance on message boards, but Osterman wrote this with a straight face and may have won the all-time optimist trophy.

No self imposed limitations. Looks like Coach Cig is changing the way people are thinking, including the press covering him on the daily. Osterman might be seeing things on the regular that he wasn't accustom to in the past? 

Honestly, I don't disagree with his picks. I can see some losses to other teams and some wins to teams he has beating IUFB. For example, I feel more optimistic against MSU than Washington. His caveat is Rourke staying healthy. He did a really good job explaining why he picked the way he did. 13 winning season in 13 years, the history this coaching staff has with QBs and is throwing his chips all in on those precedents. He only brought up Coach Haines once and concentrated mostly on the offense. Personally, I think IUFB will win more close games this year because of the defense. 

Buckle up folks, let's hope he's not too far off!!!!

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Ok, I enjoyed chuckling through that article until this:

Indiana 28, Kentucky 20 (Music City Bowl)

This is a very serious article, Stu. We must do everything we can to make this happen. For me everyone.