Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Unexpectedflash

Expectations for the 24-25 Season

I also think Arizona really likes their freshman center (I think his name is Krivas). He has more NBA potential I've read. Could be possible his minutes would decrease this year. I've seen a lot of guys that have the COVID year transfer (Gillis at Purdue is another example). Why some worried Galloway would transfer. 
Is the covid year still a thing I feel like it will be around forever.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

Is the covid year still a thing I feel like it will be around forever.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Upcoming season is the end of it.

Kind of glad it is. It's confusing knowing who can/can't come back. 

If I'm being optimistic I think one major upgrade for next year is bench scoring. For several years now we have wondered where the scoring would come from off the bench. Next year we should be able to rely on 2-3 guys to provide scoring off the bench. Last year we had zero reliable bench scorers and quite honestly only had 3-4 reliable starter scorers on a given night.

I will say this.  We have the largest budget and sounds like we have used a crap ton of it if the numbers are true.  We should have the most talent of any Big Ten team also.  Composite 247 and 247 rankings 

Tucker- 5 star

Ballo - 5 star 

Mgbako - 5 star

Reneau - 4 star 

Rice - 4 star

Goode - 4 star

Carlyle - 4 star

Cupps - 4 star

Newton - 4 star

Galloway - 4 star

Leal - 4 star 

If we don’t win the Big Ten with all that talent and make at least an elite 8 what’s he ever going to do?  What Big Ten team has that level of ranking talent? I will save you, none.  Michigan State has one five star and 3 and 4 stars.  Purdue has 4 and 3 stars.  They aren’t spending the money we are.  

13 hours ago, IUGRAD06 said:

I will say this.  We have the largest budget and sounds like we have used a crap ton of it if the numbers are true.  We should have the most talent of any Big Ten team also.  Composite 247 and 247 rankings 

Tucker- 5 star

Ballo - 5 star 

Mgbako - 5 star

Reneau - 4 star 

Rice - 4 star

Goode - 4 star

Carlyle - 4 star

Cupps - 4 star

Newton - 4 star

Galloway - 4 star

Leal - 4 star 

If we don’t win the Big Ten with all that talent and make at least an elite 8 what’s he ever going to do?  What Big Ten team has that level of ranking talent? I will save you, none.  Michigan State has one five star and 3 and 4 stars.  Purdue has 4 and 3 stars.  They aren’t spending the money we are.  

Yep, the expectations should be sky high and don't let anyone tell you different.  There is no more "they are young" or "lot of new faces" excuses.  This is the plan and on paper the rest of the Big Ten is going to have issues rolling out the talent we can, even going into the bench.

The expectation should be mid to high 20 wins with 23 being the absolute floor and competitive for a Big Ten title along with making noise in both tournaments.  (To me the Big Ten regular season title is going to be really watered down now, schedules are going to be wildly unbalanced.)

I’ll make a longer post another day, but with the amount of talent this team on paper, there is zero excuses for Woodson to not get this team to the Sweet 16 at the bare minimum. 

That being said, I think a stronger coach could get this team even further. Can we all agree Newton and Leal will be out of the rotation? I don’t see minutes for them anywhere. 

18 minutes ago, Trish said:

I’ll make a longer post another day, but with the amount of talent this team on paper, there is zero excuses for Woodson to not get this team to the Sweet 16 at the bare minimum. 

That being said, I think a stronger coach could get this team even further. Can we all agree Newton and Leal will be out of the rotation? I don’t see minutes for them anywhere. 

We don’t really know what Newton is capable of in college.  I think it’s a good thing as it gives him a season to get his legs back.  No need to rush.  Hope he sees it the same way and will be patient seeing a bigger role for him in two seasons.  

Expectation #1 for me. Get in the preseason top 25 polls, have a roster on paper the national media respects.  

It appears we’ve achieved step 1 of the process. 

On the court.  
1. Pick up the pace A LOT.

2. Shoot more threes and get quality shots earlier in the shot clock. Including transition play.

3. Crash the damn glass.

4. Box out/figure out help defense.  
5. Have some fun out there. 

6. win a ****-ton of games!

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Expectation #1 for me. Get in the preseason top 25 polls, have a roster on paper the national media respects.  

It appears we’ve achieved step 1 of the process. 

On the court.  
1. Pick up the pace A LOT.

2. Shoot more threes and get quality shots earlier in the shot clock. Including transition play.

3. Crash the damn glass.

4. Box out/figure out help defense.  
5. Have some fun out there. 

6. win a ****-ton of games!

Ditto, especially “win a ****-ton of games!”

On 4/24/2024 at 11:20 AM, Henryville Hoosier said:

Picking up in this as I’m stuck on flight delay in an airport (when did flying turn the corner into this bad?), I think starting lineup / most used lineup will be

Rice

Gallo

Bako

Malik

Ballo

I love the idea of Carlyle in place of Gallo for more reliable scoring and floor stretching, but 1) Woodson goes gaga over experience, Gallo is the well proven vet, and 2) I need Woodson to convince me he finally value outside shooting.

Regardless think that we’ll see Carlyle in while Gallo or Bako is out and the scoring and reliability off the bench at this point looks sooo much better. We have a team with the ability to score efficiently and well across the floor, and I am looking forward to seeing that frosh to soph growth from Bako. 
If this team gels and Woodson/staff use the scoring they’ve brought in, these guys have the talent to make a run for B1G champ and a deep tournament run. 
The bar should be high, time to prove what this staff can do with floor stretchers and inside punch and some midrange scoring to boot

3 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Picking up in this as I’m stuck on flight delay in an airport (when did flying turn the corner into this bad?), I think starting lineup / most used lineup will be

Rice

Gallo

Bako

Malik

Ballo

I love the idea of Carlyle in place of Gallo for more reliable scoring and floor stretching, but 1) Woodson goes gaga over experience, Gallo is the well proven vet, and 2) I need Woodson to convince me he finally value outside shooting.

Regardless think that we’ll see Carlyle in while Gallo or Bako is out and the scoring and reliability off the bench at this point looks sooo much better. We have a team with the ability to score efficiently and well across the floor, and I am looking forward to seeing that frosh to soph growth from Bako. 
If this team gels and Woodson/staff use the scoring they’ve brought in, these guys have the talent to make a run for B1G champ and a deep tournament run. 
The bar should be high, time to prove what this staff can do with floor stretchers and inside punch and some midrange scoring to boot

I think Carlyle will start and Gallo will come off the bench and at the end of games Carlyle will be in over Gallo because of free throw shooting, IMO