Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Unexpectedflash

Expectations for the 24-25 Season

Here's my prediction as I assume the roster is mostly done for the most part, they'll need to land a back-up forward here soon but that won't change much in terms of expectations I believe. 

Rice / Cupps

Trey / Kaanan

Mackenzie / 

Malik / Tucker

Ballo / 

That's eight players in the Big 10 rotation and March.

CONCERNS:

3 PT SHOOTING

FT SHOOTING

SPACING

I'm not concerned with the defense, Woodson has always been a defensive coach, he'll figure it out. Offense is a concern for me in terms of what I listed above. Players will need to step up and Woodson will need to stagger the players with the bench. Rice and Trey need to be on the court at all times, at least one of them for shot creation. I imagine we will see a lot of four guard line ups, which is probably a good thing. 

SEASON EXPECTATION:

Sweet 16 or better. I'm not too concerned with finishing at the top of the conference nor winning the conference. This is Indiana, we know the real results come in the national tournament. 

1 hour ago, Trish said:

I'm not concerned with the defense, Woodson has always been a defensive coach, he'll figure it out.

IU defensive efficiency rankings under Woodson:

2021-22 - #24 (KenPom) / #16 (BartTorvik)

2022-23 - #45 (KenPom) / #47 (BartTorvik)

2023-24 - #84 (KenPom) / #77 (BartTorvik)

11 hours ago, Napleshoosier said:

I’m not going to have any expectations.  Show me!

I am in the show me zone too but I think you have to have some baseline to measure against.  To me you draw a line in the standings at the end of conference and we should have won 60%+ of our games against everyone above the line and 80%+ against those below the line.  With the addition of the PAC teams, the regular season "champion" is going to be diluted to the point of almost worthless.  You are going to get to play almost every team only 1 time and that is going to lead to wildly inconsistent standings given the way this league is officiated and where you play which teams.

18 hours ago, Feathery said:

Win the Big Ten and make the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament. 

This. 

But if we do win the B1G outright, make a championship game run in the BTT, I'd be a little willing to give some wiggle room in the NCAAs. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This. 

But if we do win the B1G outright, make a championship game run in the BTT, I'd be a little willing to give some wiggle room in the NCAAs. 

I love the NCAA tournament but I’ll never gauge a seasons success on it. Crazy things happen in the tournament is what makes it an amazing month. Regular season success is a better indicator of a program. And eventually with sustained regular season success a program with the resources IU has will break through in March. Going off of the NCAA tournament to gauge success is like saying IU has only had 5 successful seasons in their history. 

16 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I love the NCAA tournament but I’ll never gauge a seasons success on it. Crazy things happen in the tournament is what makes it an amazing month. Regular season success is a better indicator of a program. And eventually with sustained regular season success a program with the resources IU has will break through in March. Going off of the NCAA tournament to gauge success is like saying IU has only had 5 successful seasons in their history. 

That cuts both ways.  If we falter in the regular season but make a run to the E8 with favorable matchups we'd have to conclude the season did not meet expectations, correct? 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Top 2 in the conference and I don't mean finishing 2nd by going 12-8.

Don't get blown out in non-conference games by 25. 

A good showing in the Bahamas

At least Saturday of the BTT

Second weekend of the NCAAT

That'll definitely get Woodson another year.....

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Top 2 in the conference and I don't mean finishing 2nd by going 12-8.

Don't get blown out in non-conference games by 25. 

A good showing in the Bahamas

At least Saturday of the BTT

Second weekend of the NCAAT

It's an 18 team conference, so top four or five will be at least 13 wins I'd imagine. So if we finish fourth in conference at 14-6 that'll mean we're a top 25 team and an excellent NCAA seed.

Sky is the limit - the floor seems to be pretty damn high with the roster we're putting together.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It's an 18 team conference, so top four or five will be at least 13 wins I'd imagine. So if we finish fourth in conference at 14-6 that'll mean we're a top 25 team and an excellent NCAA seed.

Sky is the limit - the floor seems to be pretty damn high with the roster we're putting together.

Are you trying to move the goalposts already with finishing 4th in the conference? With this roster, we shouldn't be happy with a 4th place finish. :-) You and Tyme love lowering the expectations

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Are you trying to move the goalposts already with finishing 4th in the conference? With this roster, we shouldn't be happy with a 4th place finish. :-) You and Tyme love lowering the expectations

I don't really care about what place we're in if it's not first, but I do care about winning a bunch of games.

So if we're 14-6 in conference? That could be first through fifth  and I'm satisfied no matter where that places. If we go 11-9 I'm not satisfied even if that's a high finish in the standings. 

PS: and I definitely do not care what some former poster says in speculative tweets.

36 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Right.  $6 mil to finish 4th.   UGTBSM. 

No more than 3 Bigten losses.  One to purdont away and maybe two flukes/bad nights max. Penn state, northwestern, Rutgers should become homecoming opponents.  

I'll refine my earlier answer of simply winning more than we lose.

No more than 4 double digit losses  (last 3 seasons we've had 6, 8 & 10)

Finish no more than 2 games out of 1st place in conference.

Play in the B1G tournament championship game.

Sweet 16 in NCAA 

28 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Right.  $6 mil to finish 4th.   UGTBSM. 

No more than 3 Bigten losses.  One to purdont away and maybe two flukes/bad nights max. Penn state, northwestern, Rutgers should become homecoming opponents.  

Geez ... if we go 16-4 in conference you're not satisfied with the result?

Holy hell that's a high standard. 16-4  (and 15-5) is a higher conference winning percentage than half of our last ten B1G championship teams and two of our last three Final Four teams. And a 16-4 conference record would be unsatisfactory for you? You are more than entitled to your opinion but that's a lot.