Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, Napleshoosier said:

Damn that Monmouth announcer at the start of the video is so the real deal. Sounds like he’s been gargling with rusty nails; in a good way. Like Johnny Most Jr.

Anyway, that’s a really nice highlight video. Nikita looks like a grown man out there.

Obviously, highlight reels are set up to accentuate the positive. But what I've seen from the Ukranian dude -- he seems more polished and skilled than Sparks. I love Sparks. Great kid. Great size. Great motor. Decent defender. But he was very limited offensively. 

To come in and back up Ballo? Seems like a decent pickup to me given the limited options that appear to be available. 

Opinions will vary, but almost all of us wanted us to substantially increase our catch and shoot potential. Hemmenway as the 13th guy on the roster is one hell of an outstanding catch and shoot wing.

I’d love to have a developmental big also, but if we are only taking one more big it’s gotta be a 20 something year-old that can play right away. 

Everyone always thinks they're deep and when the season actually starts they end up playing 8 guys but I can legitimately see us having 9 rotation guys playing big minutes. Hopefully the hemenway signing signals a shift to more three guard lineups and perimeter oriented play because I don't see how we fit in everyone otherwise. Reneau is the backup center in my head but having another 7 footer to come in and bang is always nice. As shocked as I am to say this, I love how the roster has turned out. They are easily the most talented team in the big ten. Now it's up to the coaching staff to make it all work. 

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Opinions will vary, but almost all of us wanted us to substantially increase our catch and shoot potential. Hemmenway as the 13th guy on the roster is one hell of an outstanding catch and shoot wing.

I’d love to have a developmental big also, but if we are only taking one more big it’s gotta be a 20 something year-old that can play right away. 

Pretty surprised by the Hemenway thing. Assuming he and the Ukranian kid are spots 12 and 13, we’d better be praying for really good frontcourt health. You’ve got 2 5’s, a 4-5 and a 3-4 and that’s all of your size, and, no, I’m not on board with Goode playing as a small ball 4. If everyone stays healthy the rotations work fine. But if you lose Ballo or Reneau for a period of time, that could get really dicey. Forget 3 guard lineups, it’s not too tough to see situations when this team is playing 4. 

46 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

If the staff is making a big push for this guy, they must know that Mason is announcing for somewhere else tomorrow 

Who’s this Mason?

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

Pretty surprised by the Hemenway thing. Assuming he and the Ukranian kid are spots 12 and 13, we’d better be praying for really good frontcourt health. You’ve got 2 5’s, a 4-5 and a 3-4 and that’s all of your size, and, no, I’m not on board with Goode playing as a small ball 4. If everyone stays healthy the rotations work fine. But if you lose Ballo or Reneau for a period of time, that could get really dicey. Forget 3 guard lineups, it’s not too tough to see situations when this team is playing 4. 

Agreed. That’s how I see too. 

49 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If Hemenway is the 13th guy to sign, he is in no means the 13th guy on the team.

Developmental guys on P5 rosters are going to be things of the postal.  Let someone else develop them and transfer to you and get paid.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Nikita will be the Ballo insurance policy; nothing more and nothing less. If Ballo went down Malik would start at the 5 with Nikita as his backup. If Malik got hurt Nikita would still be the backup 5.

If both Malik and Ballo got hurt? We’re screwed anyway. That’s true for any team that loses their best two bigs.

One thing for sure though; the staff better be damn sure that Nikita is not another Payton Sparks. That would be a disaster.

21 minutes ago, Demo said:

Agree. I actually saw Hemenway play once in high school and thought he was really good. But if we add him, then my projected 10-13 spots on the roster are all filled by guards. Would like to see another depth big.

One more thing about Nikita; he played against three P5 programs last year with all three fairly close games:

Monmouth beat West Virginia and NK had 6 pts and 7 rebounds in 21 minutes (not too bad)

Monmouth lost to Seton Hall and NK had 3 pts and 4 rebounds in 17 minutes (yuck), and

Monmouth lost to Oklahoma and NK had 11 points and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes (very good).

All three games were 5 points or less at halftime and it seems that he generally held his own. Only the Seton Hall center had a big game against Monmouth, with the WVU center going 1-12 from the floor against Nikita.