Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

I guess I’d warm up to it. Mediocre seeming center on a bad team. We can’t really expect him to be anything more than a stopgap. I don’t trust his defense to translate. Ballo staying healthy will be supremely important for this teams success. Or Reneau being the 5, in inferred case.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I guess I’d warm up to it. Mediocre seeming center on a bad team. We can’t really expect him to be anything more than a stopgap. I don’t trust his defense to translate. Ballo staying healthy will be supremely important for this teams success. Or Reneau being the 5, in inferred case.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Well I guess we aren’t getting another Ware to fill that role.  

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

He’s our break glass in case of injury backup big. If either Ballo or Malik got hurt he’s then a 15 mpg player. If they don’t he’s a five mpg guy (except for against cupcakes). 

A full time starter at Bellarmine with some finesse.

He needs to be significantly better than Sparks, which is likely though not guaranteed.

He's also a local kid, which is not necessary but is nice. We’re up to four in-state Hoosiers with a chance at a fifth.

I admit I have not seen him play. But looking at his stats, how is it likely that he's significantly better than Sparks? Prior to IU, Sparks had better numbers and a bigger role on a significantly better team than Bellarmine.

Numbers don't always tell the whole story, so maybe someone who has seen him play a bunch can give an opinion.

Just now, Shooter said:

I admit I have not seen him play. But looking at his stats, how is it likely that he's significantly better than Sparks? Prior to IU, Sparks had better numbers and a bigger role on a significantly better team than Bellarmine.

Numbers don't always tell the whole story, so maybe someone who has seen him play a bunch can give an opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNGPcEWSu0

Good footwork, can use both hands, and shoot the 3. Some dribble drives into the paint.  Highlights above. 

18 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Just watched a highlight video of him.  Knowing that it is skewed to show his good attributes, he appears mobile, can dribble, seems to like to move well.  Do not know about defense, footwork or hops.  Seems quite slender. But that impression may not be accurate. He is listed at 240.  Reports say he is better shooter than stats show.  Mature role player and smart.  Some sites say that he is likely coming to IU.  

On the surface, I say that he appears to be a really decent opportunity as a backup 4 or 5.  And he reportedly always wanted to be a Hoosier.  Could be a much better fit than Sparks. 

2 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Just watched a highlight video of him.  Knowing that it is skewed to show his good attributes, he appears mobile, can dribble, seems to like to move well.  Do not know about defense, footwork or hops.  Seems quite slender. But that impression may not be accurate. He is listed at 240.  Reports say he is better shooter than stats show.  Mature role player and smart.  Some sites say that he is likely coming to IU.  

On the surface, I say that he appears to be a really decent opportunity as a backup 4 or 5.  And he reportedly always wanted to be a Hoosier.  Could be a much better fit than Sparks. 

I was hoping for another Max Bielfeldt type. Change of pace backup 5. He shot 33% from 3 on 1.5 attempts last season. Maybe more of a Bielfeldt than a Tom Pritchard.

41 minutes ago, Shooter said:

One big factor is Sparks for the 5 position was pretty short and didn't seem to have an overly long wingspan...which is fine if you have some polish to your game, but Sparks was just a bull in a China shop....works at Ball State, doesn't work in the Big Ten.  This kid looks to be a little longer and he can hit a jump shot....Sparks was always extremely limited because if it was outside of 5 feet he was out of his range.  I liked Sparks hustle, but he was just so limited offensively that you were playing 4 on 5 offense....This guy will at least make his man play straight up defense.

31 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I was hoping for another Max Bielfeldt type. Change of pace backup 5. He shot 33% from 3 on 1.5 attempts last season. Maybe more of a Bielfeldt than a Tom Pritchard.

A less athletic Max B is a decent comp to Hatton 

1 hour ago, hohohoosiers311 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNGPcEWSu0

Good footwork, can use both hands, and shoot the 3. Some dribble drives into the paint.  Highlights above. 

I think he’s definitely serviceable as a backup 10 minutes per game big.  If gave 4 points per game off the bench for 10 minutes per game, I think we could live with that.  I honestly thought at best we would get a Tom Pritchard or Robbie Eggers type, but I think he could be a little better than both of them

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think he’s definitely serviceable as a backup 10 minutes per game big.  If gave 4 points per game off the bench for 10 minutes per game, I think we could live with that.  I honestly thought at best we would get a Tom Pritchard or Robbie Eggers type, but I think he could be a little better than both of them

I don't think Hatton is as good as Tom Pritchard. 

We are getting a little ahead of ourselves on him adding, but — Hatton is more Walker than Sparks.  He’s a better shooter than Walker but not probably quite as athletic.  Walker played as a 4/5, Sparks could only play the 5.

you can go two ways about filling in the backup 4/5:  find someone who plays like Ballo but isn’t nearly as good or find someone who isn’t as good as Ballo but adds something that Ballo doesn’t.  The first strategy might work if ballo gets hurt, the second is trying to maximize the team if ballo is healthy.  I prefer strategy #2.

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They are. Idk, I'm not a fan of the add, but its possible our options for this spot are just very minimal. In that case, I probably understand it. 

We are looking for someone who is content with getting Sparks like minutes and be ready to play if(when) Reneau and Ballo are in foul trouble. Maybe average 5-8 minutes on the year. Be a leader on the bench as a senior and play hard when on the court. We aren't looking to have Nikola Jokic as a backup.

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We are looking for someone who is content with getting Sparks like minutes and be ready to play if(when) Reneau and Ballo are in foul trouble. Maybe average 5-8 minutes on the year. Be a leader on the bench as a senior and play hard when on the court. We aren't looking to have Nikola Jokic as a backup.

Why did you quote me? 

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They are. Idk, I'm not a fan of the add, but its possible our options for this spot are just very minimal. In that case, I probably understand it. 

Hatton has nowhere near the upside of our recent bigs, but if there is one thing this staff has shown the last 3 years, it's that they know how to improve a big guy's attributes. I would expect Hatton to show some improvement if he comes to IU, under the tutelage of this coaching staff.

Just now, steubenhoosier said:

Hatton has nowhere near the upside of our recent bigs, but if there is one thing this staff has shown the last 3 years, it's that they know how to improve a big guy's attributes. I would expect Hatton to show some improvement if he comes to IU, under the tutelage of this coaching staff.

He just isn't athletic, he isn't overly long. Those were the two attributes I preferred the most. 

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hmm, I mentioned why I understood the add, that's what confused me. 

I'm just saying why we are adding that kind of talent. We aren't getting much more to commit to play 7 minutes a game and be cool with it. Sparks this past season averaged 7 minutes in 13 conference games. He completely sat in 7. Pretty much what we are looking for out of basically the 3rd string center behind Ballo and Reneau. He's a body really. He probably has better hands and footwork than Sparks and a better shooter. Probably not the same motor but it's a least an even considering the role he's taking over. I'm going to trust a lot of people with the ball before I ever trusted Sparks(which was terrifying).