Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

33 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Essegian doesn’t really move the needle. Sure he’s a depth piece but at best he’s 8th or 9th man. I suspect we’re going to get someone better. 

Who do you expect that moves the needle and willing to play 10-15 minutes per game?  There is nobody willing to come here to play 10-15 minutes per game the level of CE or someone that moves the needle.  Maybe Woodson should look elsewhere to fill that position, maybe a JUCO player or somebody at a mid-major school that would be willing to play that much and get some $’s

54 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Not at all. He’d have played more mins for us last year than he did at UW. If for whatever reason Carlyle or somebody doesn’t come here and Galloway starts again he’d play consistent rotation minutes. 

Very few teams have the guard depth UW had last year or what IU will have next year if Carlyle commits.  

So if he goes to a guard poor power 5 team that had an injured starter, he'd get more time?  I'm not sure he's going to find many of those.

What is funny is that there  is a team that has now seen two starting guards enter the portal that he should get more time at than last year -- Wisconsin.  Storr is at Kansas and Hepburn is in the portal.  Rumor is that Hepburn will be looking at Michigan State.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

He’s basically walking into the same situation he left. Unless he wants to ride the pine and try and play bigger mins his senior year, it is a tough sell, imo. Otherwise, the people that I know who know him say IU would be his top choice just generally.  

But I’m sure his parents or aau coaches or whatever can help him do the math on minutes, which are basically zero this year barring an injury or something. 

I think he'd play here. Assuming we get Carlyle, I see Essegian as our fourth guard. And he provides something entirely different from the other three, that we have been dying for - a lights out spot up shooter. He's not getting starter minutes, but I see him in the rotation.

Been busy for the past couple hours and haven't kept up ...

Are we out on Essegian, or still in a holding pattern? 

Seemed as if it were a done deal, but since nothing's still official yet, makes me wonder if it's a no-go ... 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

That sounds perfectly correct. If Carlyle’s in fact coming Essegian becomes your 7th scholarship guard. As a niche guy, and if you’re gonna have a niche skill he’s got the best one, what’s his best case scenario, maybe 12 mins? And within his range of outcomes there’s a perfectly reasonable one where he barely plays. I’m not sure I see the appeal for him in comparison to I’m sure more certain opportunities.

This is why Malone intrigues me—he might have some of Essegian’s shooting plus more size and rebounding 

sounds like there’s a pretty good market for him though 

33 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Been busy for the past couple hours and haven't kept up ...

Are we out on Essegian, or still in a holding pattern? 

Seemed as if it were a done deal, but since nothing's still official yet, makes me wonder if it's a no-go ... 

Seems we are in a holding pattern but that’s just my opinion.  If he was coming here, he probably would have announced by now.  I think he’s weighing his options and trying to figure out his best fit 

@Home Jersey I don't really think it's IU that needs selling on Essegian but rather Essegian needing selling on IU.  From his standpoint, is a small defined role better than what he could find elsewhere?  He can start at mid majors and compete for a starting job (might not win one) at a lower P5.  He will have other places he can get more minutes.  More $?  Maybe not.

7 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

@Home Jersey I don't really think it's IU that needs selling on Essegian but rather Essegian needing selling on IU.  From his standpoint, is a small defined role better than what he could find elsewhere?  He can start at mid majors and compete for a starting job (might not win one) at a lower P5.  He will have other places he can get more minutes.  More $?  Maybe not.

I think on Peegs it was said he wants to stay high major, for what it’s worth.

22 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I agree, my post was more geared toward fans that are not excited by the idea of adding Essegian. I think the staff pretty clearly values him based on the timing of the visit/smoke of things going well. In my post I mentioned a few reasons why I think he'd be sold on IU whereas a comparable role/pitch that we made to Hickman was not enough for him. 

IMO, more minutes would not necessarily benefit Essegian. No matter what level he plays at professionally, it's going to be in a sharpshooting role and he's probably never going to get significantly better on defense because of his limited athleticism/measurables. He's better off playing the politics of basketball by playing for a coach like Woody who is super connected and able to play him in the same role he would play professionally. If Essegian can play it at a high level and contribute to winning, all the better and he'll eventually have an opportunity to play more minutes. Go somewhere else trying to be the man/play in a featured role then not performing well, just harms his stock with pro teams/overseas leagues. Yes he's a competitor and wants to bet on himself but IMO if he's smart enough to make the right bet and position himself for the NBA, coming here makes the most sense. Because I don't think he's ever going to play himself into being an NBA draft pick and regardless of how much he plays or how well he does, if he works hard for a coach like Woody, he will get an invite to a Summer League team just like Race Thompson did or Miller Kopp did and the rest is in his hands. He can't get that at most other P5 schools. And he can also get paid probably more to do it here than elsewhere.