Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

Just now, IUGRAD06 said:

I would have lost it.  Keatts has been disappointing.  His offense has very little movement.  

Yep and will basically be starting over next year. Nice run, unless he brings in another crop of seniors it’ll be back to middle of the pack next year. 

10 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Sure, but maybe not excellent players for IU. That is where the roster construction comes in. Neither of those guys accomplished their all conf awards in a vacuum. Perkins had a lot of shooters around him and apparently so did Rice (taking the word of other posters here, I never watched him.) So IF IU brings in a very good to great 3p shooter to pair with the either of these 2? Yeah, rock on!! But if Trey is playing the majority of the off guard mins and Mbako is the only 3p threat on the floor for IU? Well, we've seen what that looks like. It's not unreasonable to say IU needs shooters, and these two ain't that. Doesn't mean they can't help overall, so we'll just have to see if there is a master plan or just scrambling for bodies. 

Tony Perkins has a proven track record of playing his @$$ off and producing against P5 teams. I also have memories of Tony Perkins physically and mentally annihilating IU in Assembly Hall last year (23 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists) and screaming to row FF in a silent, depressed arena.

He's not the only good choice (love the idea of Myles Rice) but Tony Perkins is a guy I want on my team.

If Woody can't make his team better by adding Perkins?!!? That would be a Woody problem, not a Perkins problem.

4 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

Keatts also unlocked a 2 year contract extension by winning the ACC tourney. Given the same scenario here this place would lose its mind.

If Woody gets us to a FF next year and gets extension I will be defending him so hard you'll all despise me

2 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

If Woody gets us to a FF next year and gets extension I will be defending him so hard you'll all despise me

I think that’s a 2 fold argument to be had. If he brings in players that will be here multiple years and has a foundation to build off of and makes a deep run sure I’m all for it.

if he brings in a group of guys of which the majority of the roster will be gone after 1 season together and a deep run is made then I would be against it. He’s not going to get lucky resetting the roster every year. 

IUportaltracker.com lists players we've reportedly reached out to and includes Gibson Jimerson a CG from St. Louis with 2 years of eligibility.  15.8p;  2.9r;  2.1a;  34.6% 3-pt shooter.    First time I've seen his name mentioned and I don't know who's managing this site.

This site also indicates we've had Zoom meetings with Walker, Hickman and Huntley-Hatfield.

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IUportaltracker.com lists players we've reportedly reached out to and includes Gibson Jimerson a CG from St. Louis with 2 years of eligibility.  15.8p;  2.9r;  2.1a;  34.6% 3-pt shooter.    First time I've seen his name mentioned and I don't know who's managing this site.

This site also indicates we've had Zoom meetings with Walker, Hickman and Huntley-Hatfield.

Tony Adragna manages that particular site/tracker. Excellent resource and he does great stuff.

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

just don't see some guy from Iowa or anywhere else coming in and taking control of the ball over Gallo. Mike is oldschool. Unless you are just a stud...he is sticking with his guys imo. 

Miller Kopp came in and started for two years.  He wasn't a stud.  When X went down last year, he didn't go with Leal or Gunn who had been there for 1 and 3 years, he started Cupps 22 games.

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Miller Kopp came in and started for two years.  He wasn't a stud.  When X went down last year, he didn't go with Leal or Gunn who had been there for 1 and 3 years, he started Cupps 22 games.

those are all good points.

1 hour ago, IUGRAD06 said:

He was paired with two kids that shot over 10 3s per game and combined shot 37% from 3.  His lack of shooting was nice to be paired with 2 3 pt shooters and a good big.  If I was him I would be thinking of who I am playing with making a choice.  He had a pretty decent amount of talent around him outside and in that allowed him to drive and dish.  

You keep trying to sell Iowa as this three point Garden of Eden, but they flat out weren't.  They were 332nd in three point field goals/two point field goal.  29.9% of their shots were from three;  IU took 27.8% of their shots from three.  That's basically one more three point attempt for Iowa if the teams were playing the same pace.  You keep mentioning Sandfort and Dix but Dix only took 76 threes all year and the starting lineup also had Freeman and Krikke who were non-existent three point shooters.  So it was one high volume perimeter shooter, one low volume perimeter shooter, two inside players who didn't shoot from the outside, and Perkins.  

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jimerson will be a rare six year player.  Broke his foot 10 games into his freshman year -- at the time he was averaging 10.8 points and shooting 43% from three despite coming off the bench.  This past year shot 40% and 36%....of note, those numbers were the LOWEST of his career so the expectation is he will shoot better than than, even with a jump up in level.  He's a 44/40/86 shooter for his career and is a bulk three point shooter -- over half his shots have been from three and in his 5 seasons has made 312 out of 789 threes.  He's scored 1,825 points (in 132 games) at St. Louis, just 167 short of the all-time mark.  

41 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IDK.  Wasting time at the end of the day and On3 has that Perkins kid predicted to Mizzou.  ???

Edit to add:  And of the top 10 PG, 6 are projected/committed to schools other than IU.  

27 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You keep trying to sell Iowa as this three point Garden of Eden, but they flat out weren't.  They were 332nd in three point field goals/two point field goal.  29.9% of their shots were from three;  IU took 27.8% of their shots from three.  That's basically one more three point attempt for Iowa if the teams were playing the same pace.  You keep mentioning Sandfort and Dix but Dix only took 76 threes all year and the starting lineup also had Freeman and Krikke who were non-existent three point shooters.  So it was one high volume perimeter shooter, one low volume perimeter shooter, two inside players who didn't shoot from the outside, and Perkins.  

3 pts made rank: Iowa 247 vs IU 349

Yes, Iowa didn’t shoot well from 3 last year. But IU is on a whole other level. 

Also note, the previous 2 seasons Iowa was 86th and 26th with 3 pointers made while Perkins was point. 

32 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

That's basically one more three point attempt for Iowa if the teams were playing the same pace

But they didn’t play the same pace and Iowa averaged about 3.5 more 3 point attempts than iu. Also this past year was an anomaly for iowa. The other years perkins was there iowa was one of the more prolific 3 point shooting teams coming in somewhere around the top 1/3rd or top quarter of all teams in attempts per game. Most of those years they shot it really well too. So absent last year iowa, really is a team that plays at a fast pace and launches and makes a lot of 3’s. 

Perkins will have none of those in his favor at IU. 

12 minutes ago, str8baller said:

But they didn’t play the same pace and Iowa averaged about 3.5 more 3 point attempts than iu. Also this past year was an anomaly for iowa. The other years perkins was there iowa was one of the more prolific 3 point shooting teams coming in somewhere around the top 1/3rd or top quarter of all teams in attempts per game. Most of those years they shot it really well too. So absent last year iowa, really is a team that plays at a fast pace and launches and makes a lot of 3’s. 

There clearly needs to be a shift in offensive philosophy for

1. Half court pace
  2. Shot selection (!)
  3. Actions to free up shooters

And there clearly needs to be better roster construction.

But that doesn't discount that Perkins is a mean-@$$ grown man player. If he can't help? That's a Woodson problem, not a Perkins problem.

59 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Don’t just look at this year.  Fran has been top 20 when he has the personnel.  The year before they were top 100.  He just had Sandfort and Dix shooting them this year and with a lower volume than normal.  

23 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Thank you for this.  Just got back and commented as well.  They have been top 20 in attempts and makes and percentage before.  

24 minutes ago, str8baller said:

So absent last year iowa, really is a team that plays at a fast pace and launches and makes a lot of 3’s. 

2022-23:  178th in three pointers per field goal attempt

2021-22:  135th in three pointers per field goal attempt

2020-21:  108th in three pointers per field goal attempt.

Pace is irrelevant to the conversation -- a team that shoots 20 threes when each team has 70 possession doesn't have the three pointer as much of a factor as a team that takes 20 threes on 60 offensive possessions.  Each individual three point shot has a bigger bearing on the outcome in a lower possession game than it does in a higher possession game.   

42 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

IDK.  Wasting time at the end of the day and On3 has that Perkins kid predicted to Mizzou.  ???

Edit to add:  And of the top 10 PG, 6 are projected/committed to schools other than IU.  

It’s the first and only school he’s visited thus far, I wouldn’t put too much stock into On3 portal projections.