Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

For the Leland Walker visit, and the not-unlikely prospect of a Leland Walker commitment soon thereafter:

What role do people envision for Walker?  Starting point guard?  Starting shooting guard?  Backup combo guard?  If we assume that Galloway becomes a 6th man that plays 25 minutes a game, Walker would only get about 12 minutes per game as a backup.  Do we see him wanting that role?  

14 minutes ago, JF87 said:

What role do people envision for Walker?  Starting point guard?  Starting shooting guard?  Backup combo guard?  If we assume that Galloway becomes a 6th man that plays 25 minutes a game, Walker would only get about 12 minutes per game as a backup.  Do we see him wanting that role?  

That's why I think it's less and less likely he comes here. Realistically to compete in the top half or third of the B10 next year IU needs:

A starting PG (Perkins) $300k

A scoring 2 guard (Conwell, Blackmon, insert 50-60 other names who will enter the portal) ~$550k

A defensive 5 who can play 20-25 mpg whether he starts or comes off the bench (Huntley-Hatfield) $400-500k

A shooter off the bench (Hickman or Humrichous) $200-300k

That would complete your rotation and leave you with 11 scholarships filled. Would allow you to sign someone like Diamant Blazi.

From there you would have a million potential lineups and rotations.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

@Mike Wiemuth (iuinphilly) a warm welcome to btb.  You're my kind of guy and have been following you on other sites for some time.  Really like how you take emotion out of the analysis.  Hope we see you often on btb. 

Thanks.  Appreciate the kind words.  Will drop by as much as I can.  I’ve always checked in on BTB and enjoy the conversation.

28 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I don't see TG not starting

12 hours ago, Mike Wiemuth (iuinphilly) said:

If you look at Box Plus Minus scores from the team last year, one thing stands out…Ware will be hard to replace.  He’s a 8.5 BPM while the rest of the starters total BPM is 8.4 combined (Reneau: 4.4, Mgbako: 2.2, Gallo: 2.1, XJ: -0.3).

To get “safely” back into the tournament you’ll need a start BPM  total around 30-35.  So without Kel’el, where is that hole getting filled?  Let’s say you bump MM and MR to 15 combined (which is possible), you have to find another 15+ from the other 3 slots.  

Perkins is a 5 BPM.  So he’s on target, but just barely.  You might need one or two guys more in the 7 range like Nelson/Estrada from Bama.  Either way, you’ll need to hit some home runs very soon.

You and Bob are a great listen. Appreciate having you aboard here.

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't see TG not starting

34 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

I don't either. But if the roster shapes up to where he is in a 6th man role, they could be on to something.

Nothing against Trey, he is a consumate team player, but if he is the starting SG my expectations drop. He seems perfectly suited as a 6th man. New high-level PG and SG paired with moderate improvement from Mbako & Reneau and a capable Center = NCAA team, IMO. 

If IU brings in Perkins at point, then a dynamic starting SG is a must. 

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

Nothing against Trey, he is a consumate team player, but if he is the starting SG my expectations drop. He seems perfectly suited as a 6th man. New high-level PG and SG paired with moderate improvement from Mbako & Reneau and a capable Center = NCAA team, IMO. 

Tucker is starting somewhere.  My guess is that he'll start at the shooting guard.  That means we need a great point guard and a rim protecting starting center.  

8 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Tucker is starting somewhere.  My guess is that he'll start at the shooting guard.  That means we need a great point guard and a rim protecting starting center.  

Exactly, and that is why Perkins doesn’t make sense to me.  Honestly though, could MW have a starting lineup of Great Point Guard ??, Great SG ??, Tucker at the 3, Mgbako at the 4, and Center/Rim Protector.  Bring Reneau, Gallo, Cupps, Leal off the bench.  Just a thought, but I sure the heck don’t know who we will land if anyone worth a darn.  I sure hope so.

I know IU was after Kaiser as a high school recruit and I know players can (and do) improve quite a bit from Freshman to Sophomore seasons but yeesh...Kaiser was really quite bad this past season. He was a net negative for the Terrapins and a liability at times. I don't think he makes any sense for Indiana at this time. 

There were hints being thrown around by Eric Pankowski on Peegs concerning upcoming portal entries from Duke. Possibilities included guard Jeremy Roach and former IU target TJ Power. That could be interesting. 

1 minute ago, HoosierHuddle said:

I know IU was after Kaiser as a high school recruit and I know players can (and do) improve quite a bit from Freshman to Sophomore seasons but yeesh...Kaiser was really quite bad this past season. He was a net negative for the Terrapins and a liability at times. I don't think he makes any sense for Indiana at this time. 

There were hints being thrown around by Eric Pankowski on Peegs concerning upcoming portal entries from Duke. Possibilities included guard Jeremy Roach and former IU target TJ Power. That could be interesting. 

Roach is exactly the type of player we need but he is probably too smart to come here. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

Is TJ Power a rim protector? I have a hard time imagining Jeremy Roach leaving Duke but would be happy to be wrong.

29 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Too many people getting wrapped up in starting lineups and what not. Minute allocation and rotations, especially end of game, tell a far more significant story. I could see someone like Bryson Tucker "starting" over Trey Galloway but Trey playing significantly more minutes. If someone like Huntley-Hatfield committed, I think there's a world where both he and Reneau start the game together but don't end up playing a ton of minutes together simultaneously.