Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

Just a heads up to everyone.  April 4-11 is a Dead Period for recruiting which is defined:

A dead period is that period of time when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off the member institution’s campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by prospective student-athletes to the institution’s campus.

I'm assuming, and it could well be an erroneous assumption, that portal recruiting is covered under that same definition.  

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just a heads up to everyone.  April 4-11 is a Dead Period for recruiting which is defined:

A dead period is that period of time when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off the member institution’s campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by prospective student-athletes to the institution’s campus.

I'm assuming, and it could well be an erroneous assumption, that portal recruiting is covered under that same definition.  

Seems @$$ backwards to have a 45 day portal entry period and an 8 day dead period in there.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

Seems @$$ backwards to have a 45 day portal entry period and an 8 day dead period in there.

I thought I read that this dead period was put in place because of portal recruiting, to ensure there was a week where staffs knew they weren’t losing ground on HS kids. I don’t think the dead period effects portal recruiting, but there isn’t a concrete answer that I can find. 

51 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Got some pretty decent Easter intel on Perkins. Was told if it were up to mom, he’d be a Hoosier already. Wants him close to home and was sick of the back and forth drive from Iowa City. UCLA I was told is going to be the stiffest competition. Woodson on him harder than any other player they’re targeting.

Perkins is a good player but I would still prefer a point guard who can hit the 3 more regularly than he does 

14 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Perkins is a good player but I would still prefer a point guard who can hit the 3 more regularly than he does 

Yeah, we need to be swinging way higher than Tony Perkins. He doesn't move the needle for me at all unless we pair him with an even better PG.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player. But not a commanding, definitive answer to our team's primary 3pt shooting problems. 

20 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Yeah, we need to be swinging way higher than Tony Perkins. He doesn't move the needle for me at all unless we pair him with an even better PG.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player. But not a commanding, definitive answer to our team's primary 3pt shooting problems. 

What guard is higher than him right now though lol

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

One that can shoot better than 29% from 3. Perkins is a healthy X…it will be a nice little pick up but a long way from solving the guard problem.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Probably not many, if any.

But that's the problem with attempting to build a team through the portal. You're at the mercy of who declares. 

Perhaps someone like Bruce Thornton will declare. 

52 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I would as well, but the kid was second team all Big Ten.  Defensively is as good as there was in the Big Ten which is saying a lot for the Big Ten.  IF they get him think they need a shooter to go along with him in the backcourt (Hickman) and a stretch 4 or 5 as well.

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I would as well, but the kid was second team all Big Ten.  Defensively is as good as there was in the Big Ten which is saying a lot for the Big Ten.  IF they get him think they need a shooter to go along with him in the backcourt (Hickman) and a stretch 4 or 5 as well.

And I don’t have confidence that MW will land a shooter like Hickman or any shooter based off his 2 big system he plays and past recruiting failures.  That’s another reason why getting Perkins won’t help offensively, because we may be forced with Gallo at the 2 again and will only have Mgbako to stretch the floor

48 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Exactly!

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

I thought I read that this dead period was put in place because of portal recruiting, to ensure there was a week where staffs knew they weren’t losing ground on HS kids. I don’t think the dead period effects portal recruiting, but there isn’t a concrete answer that I can find. 

What ends up is that teams in the NIT finals and the NCAA finals basically have that week coincide with their first free time.