Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Truthhurts

The Case for Josh Schertz

Schertz should be the guy. He’s an Xs and Os savant a la Stevens. And in the NIL era, at IU, you don’t have to be a great recruiter to get great recruits. 

If IU retains Woodson (and my guess is we will), someone else is going to pick up Schertz this offseason and IU will be miserable watching him take a lesser program to the final four within 4-6 years. Watch. 

This is the chance to finally get things right. Don’t hire to win the press conference (Cream, Archie, Woodson); hire to win games. Schertz wins, period. And his scheme is mathematically/ analytically aligned with modern basketball. 

Edited by Truthhurts

5 minutes ago, Truthhurts said:

Schertz should be the guy. He’s an Xs and Os savant a la Stevens. And in the NIL era, at IU, you don’t have to be a great recruiter to get great recruits. 

If IU retains Woodson (and my guess is we will), someone else is going to pick up Schertz this offseason and IU will be miserable watching him take a lesser program to the final four within 4-6 years. Watch. 

This is the chance to finally get things right. Don’t hire to win the press conference (Cream, Archie, Woodson); hire to win games. Schertz wins, period. And his scheme is mathematically/ analytically aligned with modern basketball. 

Schertz is the type of guy that can recruit college level players that gravitate toward his modern style.

1 hour ago, Truthhurts said:

Only watched a little of their game on Saturday and really did not see anything impressive nor any red flags.  What makes you confident he is an Xs and Os savant like Stevens?

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

They way his peers and other coaches describe him.   The fact the he went to other coaches early in his career to learn from them and use their stuff to become successful at the D2 level.    Adapting to the change of how basketball his played and try something totally different then what was making him successful and become even more successful at the D2 level.    Bringing that to the D1 level at Indiana St which is probably the hardest job in the Valley and flipping that program in year 2 to win 23 games for the first time in awhile and now in year 3 having a top 25 NET team with a top 15 offense is very impressive to me.   Doesn’t mean it will work at a high major but every step of the way he finds a way to he a winner.    There is an article on the Athletic about him that is really good and recommended reading 

By the way he wins he clearly is a next level communicator and motivator. 

That's not enough to win at the P5 level, but it's a really good start.

2 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

I've been on the Dusty May bandwagon, but I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Schertz.  Schertz has winning background, albeit at a lower level and he runs a modern style offense.  Schertz also has been recruiting the state of Indiana.  All positives in my mind.  

44 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

They way his peers and other coaches describe him.   The fact the he went to other coaches early in his career to learn from them and use their stuff to become successful at the D2 level.    Adapting to the change of how basketball his played and try something totally different then what was making him successful and become even more successful at the D2 level.    Bringing that to the D1 level at Indiana St which is probably the hardest job in the Valley and flipping that program in year 2 to win 23 games for the first time in awhile and now in year 3 having a top 25 NET team with a top 15 offense is very impressive to me.   Doesn’t mean it will work at a high major but every step of the way he finds a way to he a winner.    There is an article on the Athletic about him that is really good and recommended reading 

I started to read it but it is behind a paywall so they blocked me from reading further.  Interesting that he was a tennis player vs a bball player.

31 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I've been on the Dusty May bandwagon, but I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Schertz.  Schertz has winning background, albeit at a lower level and he runs a modern style offense.  Schertz also has been recruiting the state of Indiana.  All positives in my mind.  

Dusty May has been a head coach for six years and for four of them his teams were not any good. Can’t be sure FAU’s 1.5 seasons of success is really him being a great coach or him stumbling into a good couple of players for a flash in the pan success. 

Schertz on the other hand absolutely dominated for a decade+ at LMU and now has freaking Indiana State playing like a S16 team in just his third season there. Not to mention, again, he’s playing mathematically perfect basketball from a shot quality stand point. He’s the real deal. You absolutely want him over Dusty May, whose main qualification for the IU job is one deep march run and ties to Bloomington. 

Edited by Truthhurts

12 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I started to read it but it is behind a paywall so they blocked me from reading further.  Interesting that he was a tennis player vs a bball player.

One of the coaches he went and visited in the off season was Steven’s when he was coaching Boston.  He also spent time with Self at Kansas and is really good friends with May 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Wouldn’t be my first pick (or even fifth), but he’s only 48 and is a college coach so that’s a good start. But a mid mid major guy is not the road I hope IU goes down with the next hire.

He's definitely on the top of my list of "other candidates" if IU isn't going to make a serious hire. Could do worse than a Schertz but it's definitely not the home run, momentum hire this program desperately needs. 

From the ISU website introducing him as coach

"I've known Josh now for several years and I've always been impressed with how hard his teams have played and competed. He has a proven track record of success as a Head Coach. Josh possesses a  combination of being an excellent tactician and recruiter. I look forward to following his continued success at Indiana State."
Chris Holtmann, Head Men's Basketball Coach - The Ohio State University

"Josh Schertz is a program builder. He's a tireless worker who knows how to create a foundation and recruit to a culture. Perhaps more importantly, he's an even better person than he is coach. He's followed a similar path to me - building a DII powerhouse and making a jump to DI. Just like Milwaukee took a chance on me, Indiana State is giving Josh his opportunity, and I'm certain he won't disappoint."
Bruce Pearl, Head Men's Basketball Coach - Auburn

"In hiring Josh Schertz, Indiana State has hired a coach who will lead with unparalleled character, elite level knowledge of the game, and work habits.  He is someone who is able to connect with and develop young men to be great players and people.  Josh teaches the game in a truly unique way which has led to his rarely seen success.  I learn from him each time I watch his team play and admire his ability to prepare and innovate.  John Wooden once said "The most powerful leadership tool you have is your own example."  In Josh Schertz becoming the head coach at Indiana State, the Sycamores have added a person who truly embodies leading by example."
Sean Sweeney, Assistant Coach - Detroit Pistons

Indiana State has hired as hard-working a coach as there is in college basketball in Josh Schertz. He is the total package - an incredible work ethic, terrific floor coach and a proven evaluator and recruiter. From the staff to the players, his leadership inspires others to operate at the highest level they can both on and off the court. I'm excited to see the new heights the Sycamores will reach with him at the helm.
Eddie Fogler, Former Head Men's Basketball Coach - Wichita State, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina

"Josh has an incredible track record and is highly regarded in the industry. He's an outside the box hire in a sense; the guy can coach and develop talent and those are two attributes that will help him get Indiana State to the next level."
Jeff Goodman, Basketball Insider - Stadium

"Winning is synonymous with Josh Schertz. Remarkably he has won over 83% of his games, which is one of the highest winning percentages in the history of college basketball. His teams have made their mark on the court and made the grade in the classroom. He can recruit. He can develop talent. He can coach. It's about time he got the opportunity to run a Division I program."
Angela Lento, CollegeInsider.com

6 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

If Beard and Drew are not options then Shertz would be a great hire. IMO, must offer Beard/Drew first - then again I don't know jack tbh

Please! Please! Stop with the Beard to IU talk.  It is not going to happen.  He is a great basketball coach, no doubt about it.  But IU is a university first and will not and should not consider a coach that allegedly hit and choked his girlfriend.  She may have recanted, but the University of Texas felt there was enough evidence to move on from him.  There's no reason for IU to hire someone with this baggage. The reputation of the university is more important and it should be that way.