Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

On 7/24/2024 at 10:11 PM, AH1971 said:

No, they told the “fans” who perpetuated all the noise; Woodson was getting fired, the whole team was transferring if he was retained, the locker room was lost, “fans” outwardly wanting the team to lose to expedite the process, etc to chill out. The only people still butt hurt by his comments were the one’s put in their place.

I still laugh today, when someone posted that even the 13th unused scholarship was going to enter the transfer portal.  That was funny shat. 

15 minutes ago, bird4par said:

I still laugh today, when someone posted that even the 13th unused scholarship was going to enter the transfer portal.  That was funny shat. 

The best was the poster who said that IU/Dolson had met with the reps for Bruce Pearl and they had a dollar figure and contract terms laid out and then 3-4 hours later it was announced that Woodson was returning. I believe it was just before tip off up in Minnesota. 

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

The best was the poster who said that IU/Dolson had met with the reps for Bruce Pearl and they had a dollar figure and contract terms laid out and then 3-4 hours later it was announced that Woodson was returning. I believe it was just before tip off up in Minnesota. 

And which poster was that?

11 hours ago, Demo said:

I think you’re mostly right here but the thing I’m curious about is if they go on, say, an Elite 8-type run, and contrary to some post a few back that suggested otherwise that’s pretty obviously within this team’s ceiling, I’m not at all sure everyone would be happy about it. I’m sure you’re right that some would suggest it was in spite of the coach, which is just bone stupid, and they have such a visceral personal dislike of the guy that his failure outweighs the team’s success. It’s not enough to be able to say at the end of the year, “Congrats on a great season, guys and thanks for the fun you gave the fans. Glad I was wrong about this team. Now let’s talk about whether this is a sustainable path forward.” They’d rather be able to shame that smug SOB out of town with his arrogant tale between his legs. Hope I’m wrong because it would suck to be a long-suffering fan of a program but not be able to bring one’s self to enjoy success. I don’t wish that on anyone. 

With as insufferable and divisive as Woodson has been following an awful season, it’s hard to imagine him changing character and becoming someone likable if he’s having a good season. But hey, maybe a really great season would make Woodson decide to ride off into the sunset. That would be worth celebrating. 

13 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

This is true, but it'd still be a far better hire than Woodson was. Stevens showed he was a great coach, Woodson's coaching led to zero demand for him before IU called.

For sure... Woodson is a joke. No one was even looking at him, but ol' Quinn came riding in to throw $3M+ at him.

Any of the names tossed around over the past year or so would be better than Mediocre Mike. And any of them would have had significant NIL money to kickstart their tenure... but we get to watch Mr Ego coach for another season thanks to Buckner et al.

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

For sure... Woodson is a joke. No one was even looking at him, but ol' Quinn came riding in to throw $3M+ at him.

Any of the names tossed around over the past year or so would be better than Mediocre Mike. And any of them would have had significant NIL money to kickstart their tenure... but we get to watch Mr Ego coach for another season thanks to Buckner et al.

Now he makes 4m since he got an extra mil for what should be bare minimum expectations.

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

He’s a 7 Footer from South Carolina State.  Didn’t put up great stats.  They are probably putting him on the team to help with practice and since he graduated with a 4.0 GPA, academics!  At least they are filling it, lol.  

Why fill it with a guy who won't play, what is the purpose of just filling the 13th scholarship 

49 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Why fill it with a guy who won't play, what is the purpose of just filling the 13th scholarship 

Better to have someone that could step in and not need him than to need someone and have an open scholarship.

Center depth is a question mark and this would address that even if it's not highly skilled depth. He'd be another big to practice against. Those are the basketball positives.

He'd also bring up the team's GPA. From what I saw, his two main foci are academics and basketball without much partying. So he'd be a good example/role model/influence for the younger players without drama or other locker room distractions. Seems like he would be a solid culture piece. This is also someone who is clearly comfortable being a bench player, so no conflict there.

Of course, this is all just speculation at this point but I disagree that it would be "just filling the 13th scholarship" since he would bring some positives and no downside.

Besides, it's not your money so why would you care how that scholarship is filled? I thought you were Team Woodson now so if this is what he wants it must be the right move.

37 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Because it is damn near impossible to have the 13th guy on a roster be a guy who will play.

Feels like he's a (maybe less hilarious) Tijan! 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Because it is damn near impossible to have the 13th guy on a roster be a guy who will play.

Feels like he's a (maybe less hilarious) Tijan! 

Sounds like Priller

3 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Better to have someone that could step in and not need him than to need someone and have an open scholarship.

Center depth is a question mark and this would address that even if it's not highly skilled depth. He'd be another big to practice against. Those are the basketball positives.

He'd also bring up the team's GPA. From what I saw, his two main foci are academics and basketball without much partying. So he'd be a good example/role model/influence for the younger players without drama or other locker room distractions. Seems like he would be a solid culture piece. This is also someone who is clearly comfortable being a bench player, so no conflict there.

Of course, this is all just speculation at this point but I disagree that it would be "just filling the 13th scholarship" since he would bring some positives and no downside.

Besides, it's not your money so why would you care how that scholarship is filled? I thought you were Team Woodson now so if this is what he wants it must be the right move.

If you fill that spot with this guy what happens if f at the semester break a really good player hits the portal. If you have the spit open then you can get the transfer 

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

If you fill that spot with this guy what happens if f at the semester break a really good player hits the portal. 

1. If a really good player hits the portal at the semester there is no way in holy hell they would want to be IU's 13th player.
  2. If there were significant injuries and a really good player wanted in with no scholly available, we would just have hem pay tuition and compensate their NIL accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

If you fill that spot with this guy what happens if f at the semester break a really good player hits the portal. If you have the spit open then you can get the transfer 

We hear that every year we've left an open scholarship and it hasn't happened yet. Really good players don't tend to enter the  portal at that time. If they do, there are probably other issues that might make them less desirable. That is also outside the portal entry window so they'd have to sit out a whole season which I guess would make them not eligible until the middle of the next season which is also less than desirable.

So that is a terrible reason to not use a scholarship.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  1. If a really good player hits the portal at the semester there is no way in holy hell they would want to be IU's 13th player.
  2. If there were significant injuries and a really good player wanted in with no scholly available, we would just have hem pay tuition and compensate their NIL accordingly.

I would assume that player wouldn't play the rest of the season but you would have him for the next season

4 hours ago, go iu bb said:

These arguments are why leaving scholly #13 open last season was so egregious ... Woodson's roster already had issued at guard, and then the savior (X) got hurt ... making an inexcusably thin roster at guard even moreso. 

Also, aren't the athletic budgets built based on full scholarship quotas? So that slot is already budgeted... unless, of course, Woodson has some kind of deal to pocket unused scholarship money. (I'm not suggesting that he does, but then again, we don't really know.)

5 hours ago, Scotty R said:

My guess is to help the APR, I think that is what is is called.  Also to have a practice dummy, lol!  Last but not least, it’s Mike Woodson, who knows what his thinking is, lol but he did catch a lot of crap last year for not filling it.  

5 hours ago, go iu bb said:

You definitely said it much much better than I did!

On 7/25/2024 at 10:40 AM, AH1971 said:

I have no issues with the first two seasons other than fashion in which we lost to Miami in the tournament. Have clarified that several times over now. 

You don’t have an issue with a high percentage shooting team from 3 being almost dead last in attempts?