Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, steubenhoosier said:

Ever hear of something called ageism? 

Last I checked there are laws against even mentioning a person’s age in regards to their employment 

Plenty of reasons to fire Woodson, regardless of his age. My comments were more about a young guy getting more patience from the administration than an older guy. Woodson was supposed to be the "second coming" who was going to win championships - B1G and nationals... so far he's managed to crap the bed at every turn. 

But trust me, Woodson could be fired for being old for many other reasons, incompetence being chief among them.

13 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Plenty of reasons to fire Woodson, regardless of his age. My comments were more about a young guy getting more patience from the administration than an older guy. Woodson was supposed to be the "second coming" who was going to win championships - B1G and nationals... so far he's managed to crap the bed at every turn. 

But trust me, Woodson could be fired for being old for many other reasons, incompetence being chief among them.

Maybe it’s my age, but I don’t ever recall Woodson being considered the second coming ,

Hurley? Laughable. Let's set the fact that Hurley won at least 23 games (Woodson's high mark at IU) in 3 of his last 4 years at Rhode Island with a conference win (Woodson hasn't done that). Let's also set aside that he had college experience and his HC career wasn't over like Woodson's was.

It's more than results. It's the fact despite being a so called defensive coach the defense has gotten worse every year with him. It's the fact we've continued to see the same problems that got him fired from the Knicks. It's the fact that he was supposed to be a bridge guy but has to rebuild the bridge he himself wrecked. 

Oh, we just missed another free throw. And gave up another offensive rebound. There's another wide open 3 allowed; but if you look closely you might be able to see an IU player in the same zip code, so progress.

Should we not mention a players class standing when discussing potential, development, and minutes they should see? Mentioning the presidents age?

Let’s get back to reality here. Age and potential years left to (under)perform should be factors when deciding what to do with Woody. It’s not like he would be sent packing empty handed.

7 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

The recruiting trail you point out should be a responsibility of the staff , don’t you think? Younger guys who have the connections to 17-19 year olds. Woodson certainly needs to be involved, but the staff should be doing the heavy lifting.

Head coaches should do the heavy lifting all day every day.   Having your staff do the heavy lifting isn’t the normal way of recruiting unless in very rare occasions when a certified Hall of Famer or one of the greatest coaches of all time is doing it.   A coach only coaching in his 4th year of college shouldn’t put the heavy lifting on his staff.    Successful head coaches grind and any coach not willing to do that is hurting his program more then helping in my opinion 

8 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Understand… however Woodson’s age is repeatedly brought up by folks here… which should have no bearing on his ability to coach.

The recruiting trail you point out should be a responsibility of the staff , don’t you think? Younger guys who have the connections to 17-19 year olds. Woodson certainly needs to be involved, but the staff should be doing the heavy lifting.

My point is… judge Woodson for the on court results but don’t bring the age issue into the conversation. Hell, we’re about to elect a president who will be in his mid 70’s. 

If the upcoming season is a cluster, then time for a change. But let the upcoming season play out before making a decision … based on performance, not age.

You are right, we need to leave age out of it but his overall job performance has been sub-par so far.  

The head coach is the manager with executive authority over recruiting.  It is his responsibility to head the recruiting process but he/she can delegate that to his staff.  MW has done that part of his job really really well, some can call him the king of delegation!

8 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Understand… however Woodson’s age is repeatedly brought up by folks here… which should have no bearing on his ability to coach.

My point is… judge Woodson for the on court results but don’t bring the age issue into the conversation. Hell, we’re about to elect a president who will be in his mid 70’s. 

If the upcoming season is a cluster, then time for a change. But let the upcoming season play out before making a decision … based on performance, not age.

His age is incredibly important and it’s silly to claim otherwise. There’s little reason to go through a rebuild with a guy who will be retired in a few years anyway. IU head coach shouldn’t be a lifetime achievement award for guys who played there 40+ years ago. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Would be surprising if true. The golfing in California is probably great this time of year. 

Apparently 17/18 head basketball coaches were there. He was the 1/18 that was not.

Also, it was for all sports so Teri Moren and Cignetti were there. Dolson as well

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

Apparently 17/18 head basketball coaches were there. He was the 1/18 that was not.

Also, it was for all sports so Teri Moren and Cignetti were there. Dolson as well

He must have had a great reason to miss all the golfing in California. 

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

MAYBE, IU had other representatives there as Woodson doesn't plan to be head IUBB coach by that time?

I doubt it, but it would make some sense.  

I feel like I have a notate everything in this thread with "I want Woodson to crush it and be our coach as long as he is crushing it."

Media is never going to like Woodson.  He doesn't seem to care about that and neither did Knight obviously.  It wouldn't hurt to get Indiana some positive PUB, but it's not a mandatory thing, if winning.  

3 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Has it been discussed that Woody skipped out on the big ten coaches meeting in California? 

Again, this issue is about MW.  Maybe he’s having another knee surgery!

5 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Has it been discussed that Woody skipped out on the big ten coaches meeting in California? 

When were the meetings? Wednesday he was at Huber for the annual fundraiser.

Which would you rather he attend if there were a conflict?

29 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

That explains it!  I think we would all prefer him attend Huber

47 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Reports say Coach Cigs was in California at the coaches' meetings:

6 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

and he was at the Huber event with Woodson:

so try again.

50 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

It wouldn’t have been Wednesday if Cignetti was at the coaches meeting too, unless Coach Cig can be in two places at once.

Time for another excuse.