Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Archie Miller Assessment Thread

Musical chairs in transfer portal numbers and players going pro after a year or two….every year….seems to make it hard to get to know players and teams or have connection to any program….when there are limited numbers of 3 and especially 4 year players on any given team.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

I am not getting excited about anything until they are on the court winning.  We do this dance every offseason where we get a team that looks OK or even good on paper and then just...meh.  

I am holding all excitement until after the Bahamas trip.  That is where they can change my mind.  Until then, I expect Woody-ball no matter who he has on the team.  We had the best roster (by HS rankings) in the Big Ten last year.  Woodson can get talent, he just underperforms with it.

Yeah, was speaking somewhat tongue in cheek. If I'm going to get excited about anything, it probably won't be until January if they're playing well. 

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I don’t understand this take at all. A two-way guard who can score with major experience in this conference. Again, these guys don’t grow on trees.

He can’t shoot and isn’t a playmaker. Again, our perimeter defense problems were cause by MM and MR, not our guards. 

Mack is easily the best choice, it’s not even close.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am not getting excited about anything until they are on the court winning.  We do this dance every offseason where we get a team that looks OK or even good on paper and then just...meh.  

I am holding all excitement until after the Bahamas trip.  That is where they can change my mind.  Until then, I expect Woody-ball no matter who he has on the team.  We had the best roster (by HS rankings) in the Big Ten last year.  Woodson can get talent, he just underperforms with it.

I heard from a guy on Twitter that we should expect to win the whole Bahamas tournament. Have you heard that? 

1 minute ago, IndyHoops said:

He can’t shoot and isn’t a playmaker. Again, our perimeter defense problems was cause by MM and MR, not our guards. 

The guards got cooked many times. 

Just now, IndyHoops said:

He can’t shoot and isn’t a playmaker. Again, our perimeter defense problems was cause by MM and MR, not our guards. 

Mack is a slightly better shooter in a lower conference (which doesn’t always translate) and is 6 foot. How is Perkins not a playmaker? 15 ppg in the B10 with a 2.5:1 A/TO ratio isn’t a playmaker? I get it, he’s not a knockdown 3 point shooter, but neither is Mack. IU needs multiple guards and not just guards who can shoot, but guards who can score.

28 minutes ago, Feathery said:

He is not going anywhere this year so we should be pulling for him to have the best team possible to have a successful year. I don’t care who the coach is, I want them to be successful so the program is successful. If he fails then Dolson will take care of it next year. 

The problem is with what the IU administration considers to be ‘failing’. Does another season like his first constitute a failure? I don’t think it will to them. 1 tournament win in 2 seasons got him a million dollar raise. We basically have to hope for a total train wreck if we want him gone. Anything better than an absolute disaster will keep us in basketball purgatory. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The problem is with what the IU administration considers to be ‘failing’. Does another season like his first constitute a failure? I don’t think it will to them. 1 tournament win in 2 seasons got him a million dollar raise. We basically have to hope for a total train wreck if we want him gone. Anything better than an absolute disaster will keep us in basketball purgatory. 

Yep that’s what I’m afraid of. Just getting into the tournament and losing the first game, Woodson would be like “I got us to the tournament”, and people in his corner would think he did well if he thought he did well himself. 

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Agree. We had Liam signed, and still a no-show. Even an NLI means nothing at this point.

13 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Mack is a slightly better shooter in a lower conference (which doesn’t always translate) and is 6 foot. How is Perkins not a playmaker? 15 ppg in the B10 with a 2.5:1 A/TO ratio isn’t a playmaker? I get it, he’s not a knockdown 3 point shooter, but neither is Mack. IU needs multiple guards and not just guards who can shoot, but guards who can score.

He put up the same assist numbers in conference as Galloway. And let’s not forget he was in Iowa’s high tempo offense with some shooters. Mack did his work with much less talent around him.

Mack also has 3 years left…. Perkins is done after next year. Again, to me, it’s not close….

Sure, take them both. But if you have to choose… Mack

2 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

He put up the same assist numbers in conference as Galloway. And let’s not forget he was in Iowa’s high tempo offense with some shooters. Mack did his work with much less talent around him.

Mack also has 3 years left…. Perkins is done after next year. Again, to me, it’s not close….

To each their own. I’d think you’d have to be mental to pass on a quality starting P5 PG. In a perfect world you get both.