Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So it is about winning, which is fine, just admit that. 

No Bob Knight treated people quite a bit worse than Woodson. It's well-documented. 

So win, and you're considered a better person. At least I understand the parameters now. 

Did people consider Bob Knight a “better person” because he won? Or did they put up with his character flaws because he won? I was 6 years old when he was fired. 

But yes, your head coach being a d*** is easier to stomach when he’s really good at his job. Absent a 180 personality-wise, though, I don’t envision myself becoming a true fan of Mike Woodson. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Mike Woodson is a really good person.

How in the world do you know this? As with everyone we are not in deep personal relationships with (and even then you could argue, most of the time you don’t REALLY know someone), you don’t really have any idea what kind of person he is.

So all we have to go on is what we can see publicly. And for some of us, what he see is an overly entitled, egocentric jack*ss.

ps Jim Jones was a fellow IU alumnus too. Hope you’re not relying too much on that factor in deciding who is a “good” person.

7 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

How in the world do you know this? As with everyone we are not in deep personal relationships with (and even then you could argue, most of the time you don’t REALLY know someone), you don’t really have any idea what kind of person he is.

So all we have to go on is what we can see publicly. And for some of us, what he see is an overly entitled, egocentric jack*ss.

ps Jim Jones was a fellow IU alumnus too. Hope you’re not relying too much on that factor in deciding who is a “good” person.

Watching IU last year made me want drink some Jim Jone's Kool-Aid at times.  

Lol... this quieter news cycle part of the offseason sucks :/

People really doing senior night/"good person" discourse again? Long ways to go before the first tip-off next season...

Weather app shows it looking pretty nice in Bloomington today/this weekend. Ah to be a college kid spending a summer there again.

12 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

Solid job of extrapolating with that “ps” there, pardner.

3 hours ago, Demo said:

Can't lie, the arrogance criticism is killing me. I don't care who it is, be they as brazen as RMK or as winsome as Wooden, every coach at the high, high major level is arrogant to the point of narcissism. No exceptions. Never met her, but I'll bet a mortgage payment that Teri Moren has bulletproof self belief and dismisses outside noise without even thinking about it. In that fishbowl you're not gonna function any other way. Woody should've caught some of that stuff on the way out of his mouth, no question, but to suggest that he demonstrates some inappropriate level of arrogance is just silly. C'mon, there are legit reasons to bust that dude up, plenty of them, that's just not one of them.

I'm generally inclined to agree - particularly with your last sentence - but also that all high major coaches are going to have a pretty big ego and that's not by default a bad thing at all. Dan Hurley obsessed over no longer being the "third Hurley" and he's not done yet. They have a program motto at UConn "foot on the gas, then up their a$$" ... that reflects more arrogance to me than Woody's behavior. 

On the bold, I would not go so far as to call it an "inappropriate level" but I definitely understand the sentiment Hoosier2017/others have relative to this part: 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean, what you’re describing really isn’t arrogance. Mike Woodson acting like he’s above answering very basic interview questions or treating others within IU athletics dismissively  isn’t “bulletproof self belief,” it’s just him being a d***. 

My turning point with Mike Woodson was when I drove through a monsoon to watch them at Rutgers despite a declared state of emergency in NJ, we played TERRIBLY and blew a winnable game to an awful team. Then in the post game, when asked a very simple question he gruffly barked about "I'm not going to explain myself to you or the fans." Not expecting him to break down the entire game in the press conference at all, but I'm not expecting the coach to totally blow off the fans when they need to hear a hopeful message.

Personally the true fans commentary comes off as tone deaf/unnecessarily combative towards your own. Didn't offend me because I get he's a competitor and wants to stick it to the naysayers, just find the target a bit weird. IMO its more insecurity than arrogance. 

Look, he's our coach, and credit where it's due for him and the staff putting together a roster that is objectively better than last year's (not calling it perfect because it's not and I know people like to reference posts like this in a year's time and call people sunshine pumpers lol). I don't love the guy but I don't think he's the devil incarnate either.

Just want to win, and win big, consistently. Nothing else matters. Odds look better for next year than this past one. 

But we can't win until we start playing games and that's not for a while. If anyone is spending considerable time being fixated with how much they believe CMW should not be the IUBB coach, may I suggest going for a 20-30 minute leisurely stroll around the block. 

Coach Cig is "arrogant."  He's got a set of king kong sized balls.  Talking about getting used to driving to Indy because they'll be in the Championship game, etc.  A very confident dude.  

However, by all accounts a few months in, he's a pretty good dude too.  Handles the press fine.  Shows up at events.  Etc.  

You can be both.  

9 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Coach Cig is "arrogant."  He's got a set of king kong sized balls.  Talking about getting used to driving to Indy because they'll be in the Championship game, etc.  A very confident dude.  

However, by all accounts a few months in, he's a pretty good dude too.  Handles the press fine.  Shows up at events.  Etc.  

You can be both.  

There can be a fine line between confidence and arrogant but there is a difference.

Things I've heard from Cignetti sounds like someone very confident in his system and coaching, a few comments can come across arrogant but generally just seems very confident. With his track record, albeit at lower conferences, it's warranted but he'll still adjust his style of play or incorporate new things he sees. He was also willing to speak to another IU team when asked.

Woodson doesn't have that track record and so far hasn't shown much ,if any, willingness to change his way of doing things; this roster is better but it's TBD if he actually adjusts. Yet he'll refer to himself in 3rd person, says "I don't have to answer that to you or the fans", says he did his job while missing the tournament, refused to speak to another IU team and according to Chris has little to no respect for the women's program that's currently better than the men's. Woodson even had to be told to go to sectionals.

4 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

There can be a fine line between confidence and arrogant but there is a difference.

Things I've heard from Cignetti sounds like someone very confident in his system and coaching, a few comments can come across arrogant but generally just seems very confident. With his track record, albeit at lower conferences, it's warranted but he'll still adjust his style of play or incorporate new things he sees. He was also willing to speak to another IU team when asked.

Woodson doesn't have that track record and so far hasn't shown much ,if any, willingness to change his way of doing things; this roster is better but it's TBD if he actually adjusts. Yet he'll refer to himself in 3rd person, says "I don't have to answer that to you or the fans", says he did his job while missing the tournament, refused to speak to another IU team and according to Chris has little to no respect for the women's program that's currently better than the men's. Woodson even had to be told to go to sectionals.

Exactly this!  Now I may have used the arrogance term a little loosely but by reading these posts, we all agree that Woodson comes off sort of unprofessional, standoff-ish, defensive, dismissive, maybe portraying an image of a god-like complex by acting he’s above everyone, etc….  And calling out fans because they don’t kiss his butt, and put pressure on him by calling then non-true fans is classless, IMO.  By reading these latest posts, this list can go on and on.  

He’s got a lot of things to undo, and by constructing a good roster doesn’t give him a free pass.  He’s got to win and he’s got to win for everyone in the program, including us fans!  I will never root for us to lose, I want us to win and I don’t care if it cost us $6 million, because it is win at all cost these days!

GO HOOSIERS!!!!

26 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Exactly this!  Now I may have used the arrogance term a little loosely but by reading these posts, we all agree that Woodson comes off sort of unprofessional, standoff-ish, defensive, dismissive, maybe portraying an image of a god-like complex by acting he’s above everyone, etc….  And calling out fans because they don’t kiss his butt, and put pressure on him by calling then non-true fans is classless, IMO.  By reading these latest posts, this list can go on and on.  

He’s got a lot of things to undo, and by constructing a good roster doesn’t give him a free pass.  He’s got to win and he’s got to win for everyone in the program, including us fans!  I will never root for us to lose, I want us to win and I don’t care if it cost us $6 million, because it is win at all cost these days!

GO HOOSIERS!!!!

We do not all agree.

About five or ten posters on this board have been repeatedly clear that they strongly agree with each other. Most posters on this message board, a place for airing of grievances, disagree with what you stated as something we “all” agree with.

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We do not all agree. About five or ten posters n this board have been repeatedly clear that they strongly agree with each other.

That is true.  We do not all agree.

And those that think that IU should win at all costs are missing a few things that are really important.  We all want to have IU basketball (and other sports) win a lot.  

Not getting guards and having a limited and flawed roster made last year a tough row to hoe.  Coach Woodson's substitutions by platooning were controversial.  And with the roster's limits, his game plans were also questionable.

Dissing Coach Woodson's performance really does not bother me.  He gets paid and he can handle it or get out of the kitchen.

I think that he says stuff possibly to take the heat off of the team.  But what do I know?

But when it gets personal or endless, that is not good form.  And I am not saying that mediocrity is ok. And it is a public forum that is geared to provide such a platform for opinions and information.

I am of the (old?) school that believes that while we are here, we should be focused on something other than to just to entertain ourselves. And the public school that is Indiana University has other obligations to the community and students and the future beyond having sports wins.  

Now having said that...this team had better win big or I will start agreeing with the fans beyond the barbed wire...of course I said that exact thing over two decades ago.  (Time to grab my fishing gear or weed the vegetable and herb garden or look for a good hiking place in the woods or live music...or better yet...find someone that needs a little help and provide some.)

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

That is true.  We do not all agree.

And those that think that IU should win at all costs are missing a few things that are really important.  We all want to have IU basketball (and other sports) win a lot.  

Not getting guards and having a limited and flawed roster made last year a tough row to hoe.  Coach Woodson's substitutions by platooning were controversial.  And with the roster's limits, his game plans were also questionable.

Dissing Coach Woodson's performance really does not bother me.  He gets paid and he can handle it or get out of the kitchen.

I think that he says stuff possibly to take the heat off of the team.  But what do I know?

But when it gets personal or endless, that is not good form.  And I am not saying that mediocrity is ok. And it is a public forum that is geared to provide such a platform for opinions and information.

I am of the (old?) school that believes that while we are here, we should be focused on something other than to just to entertain ourselves. And the public school that is Indiana University has other obligations to the community and students and the future beyond having sports wins.  

Now having said that...this team had better win big or I will start agreeing with the fans beyond the barbed wire...of course I said that exact thing over two decades ago.  (Time to grab my fishing gear or weed the vegetable and herb garden or look for a good hiking place in the woods or live music...or better yet...find someone that needs a little help and provide some.)

I from the old school too but now the NCAA has practically turned their backs on any type of rules and have level the playing field by making them professional athletes, I say do what you can within whatever rules than have and put a team on the court every year.  What has the other way gotten us?  20 plus years mediocrity.  There are pretty much no rules anymore do F it and win at all cost!  That’s pretty much what they are doing now.  Most of These players aren’t here for the university, most of them are here for the money!  And yes not all, but there are many of us that don’t like or respect MW for the how he acted this past year.  If he starts winning, most of that will go away.  BK was an a** too and I didn’t like his actions but he won and like many of us, we looked the other way.  BK did do a lot of good for the university and players and that made it easier to overlook too. Heck, I bet he supported the other sport programs.  If MW would start doing that, many of us could start respecting him more too. I’ve said enough on this topic, I’m done for awhile 

22 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I think you need to read my post to see what I said.

Really good people can have bad moments. There was never forgiveness needed for me; Mike Woodson is a really good person and a fellow IU alum.

• Better roster construction? YES!
  • More wins? YES!
  • Fewer terrible losses? YES!
  • B1G regular season, B1G tourney, and NCAA achievements?? YESSSSSS!!!!!

Seems like me and Mike Woodson have the same goals.

You both also will seemingly  spend about the same amount of time and energy in the off season trying to reach those goals.image.png.319c1f995fbbab8407a317aeda8cc04a.png

32 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I from the old school too but now the NCAA has practically turned their backs on any type of rules and have level the playing field by making them professional athletes, I say do what you can within whatever rules than have and put a team on the court every year.  What has the other way gotten us?  20 plus years mediocrity.  There are pretty much no rules anymore do F it and win at all cost!  That’s pretty much what they are doing now.  Most of These players aren’t here for the university, most of them are here for the money!  And yes not all, but there are many of us that don’t like or respect MW for the how he acted this past year.  If he starts winning, most of that will go away.  BK was an a** too and I didn’t like his actions but he won and like many of us, we looked the other way.  BK did do a lot of good for the university and players and that made it easier to overlook too. Heck, I bet he supported the other sport programs.  If MW would start doing that, many of us could start respecting him more too. I’ve said enough on this topic, I’m done for awhile 

It's actually that the NCAA held on too hard to the "amateur" model and chose to fight everything instead of trying to adjust that did this. They decided to go to court over and over and started to lose. They argued that the athletes were just students who just happened to play sports. The courts decided that if that was the case, then the NCAA couldn't restrict the rights that every other student has, such as making money and transferring as much as they want.

The NCAA got themselves neutered. 

That doesn't change that Woodson isn't a very good college coach and should be replaced, hopefully after next season since the team will likely play as less than the sum of its parts just like every team under Woodson so far.

You can be both.  
It's easy to be arrogant and trash talk before you even play and get beat by 50 pts by OSU/UM/PS. It's more like poking the sleeping bear when you've been irrelevant for nearly 60 yrs.

Kinda stupid imo.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

Exactly. It ain’t bragging if you can do it. Cignetti has, everywhere he’s been. Woodson ain’t done s#!t.

Mike Woodson’s personality/character was on full display last season. That, combined with the reports of how he treats others within IU athletics, is certainly enough to make someone not a Mike Woodson true fan. But, to each their own. 
I dont consider him a good guy he comes across as an arrogant jerk. If he wins big I won't care but so far he hasn't won big.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Last time I will post in this thread.

Said it before, some folks are holding on to stuff because they want to be butthurt.

No one here was personally affected by anything CMW has said or done. No one had their reputation ruined. No one had their careers affected. No one lost money over his actions.So what, he said some things or acted some way that some people don’t care for. You and I are not paying his salary, we have nothing invested in him other than the emotional value we place on our fandom. 
It’s almost like it’s easier to just keep repeating the same thing rather than saying that, at least for this next year, Woodson is the coach.

All for this season being make or break for CMW and his staff. With the money that has been devoted to the program, there can be no excuses for less than a stellar season. But regardless of the outcome, my life won’t change and I will not be tethered to the comments, perceived slights, or whatever is communicated by Woodson or his staff