Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

He was only ever HC for 6 seasons at Dayton which is a well-oiled machine from a basketball program perspective. He had 5 20+ win seasons, an EE, and three first weekend exits. He was associated with major openings because people assumed he'd be like his brother Sean. They are totally different people. The fact he was not a good personality fit should have been identified during interviews. Compare that to someone like Dan Hurley who had 17 years as a HC under his belt before going to UConn. When a struggling program, like UConn post Ollie or IU right now, is making the next coaching hire... they need to be sure of what they are getting. Archie did not have the personal attributes or coaching track record for him to have been considered a great hire in my book. It is easy to understand why the decision was made, but I wasn't very excited about it at the time and neither were others, so I'd hardly call it revisionist history to be fair.

We are in agreement on this. I was all in on Pearl last time, but figured our squeaky clean administration would not consider it. I understand Archie had his warts we should have vetted, but on paper it was lauded. No one thought he would fail. I thought Woodson would probably fail from the jump. 

40 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

Respectfully, come on. No coach in the country is going to say another school is his dream job unless it's someone coaching Coppin State looking to get the job at Kansas.

Respectfully, come on what? 

Did you miss the part in my post that you quoted where I clarified him using those exact words with..."kind of", and noted that he used "was" vs. "is" in the quotes, or the following posts where I agreed with btownqb that he didn't state "it is" his dream job but that he toed the line as close as you can get in all of the pre-game media?

I agree with you that no coach can say that, at least publicly...but BP still loves him some Indiana and he went above and beyond to make that known with his comments before we played them. 

47 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

It’s definitely a crazy take. However I think it’s also crazy to believe a random internet stranger has intimate knowledge of the relationship between the Indiana University athletic director and chairman of the board. And is willing to post at all no matter who they are. A BOT member is as good a guess as any lol

This right here is the basis for my suspicion... I simply am not buying what she's selling...

He was only ever HC for 6 seasons at Dayton which is a well-oiled machine from a basketball program perspective. He had 5 20+ win seasons, an EE, and three first weekend exits. He was associated with major openings because people assumed he'd be like his brother Sean. They are totally different people. The fact he was not a good personality fit should have been identified during interviews. Compare that to someone like Dan Hurley who had 17 years as a HC under his belt before going to UConn. When a struggling program, like UConn post Ollie or IU right now, is making the next coaching hire... they need to be sure of what they are getting. Archie did not have the personal attributes or coaching track record for him to have been considered a great hire in my book. It is easy to understand why the decision was made, but I wasn't very excited about it at the time and neither were others, so I'd hardly call it revisionist history to be fair.
I knew we were doomed when they claimed all the experts approved. Meaning the jeff goodman types not experts at all. The only small hope I had was he could recruit like his brother. I have hated both of the last two hires but Woodson even more.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Archie was literally the flavor of the month. He had one deep run at a long time basketball school. Lots of better resumes at that time

Some say that Archie Miller was the flavor of the month.  But that does undersell what he had as a resume...albeit at a mid-major.  

He took over a Dayton Flyer team that had an empty cupboard.  His predecessor, Brian Gregory, would have been run out of town if he hadn't gone elsewhere.  Miller's. 688 win percentage (139-63) ranks second in Dayton history in the NCAA Tournament era (post 1939) after legendary Don Donoher.  Anthoney Grant is doing well at Dayton since Archie Miller left for IU.  But he, as yet, has not taken Dayton to the NCAAT.  

Miller spent time at several programs as an assistant coach, spending a season at Western Kentucky (2003–04), two at NC State (2004–2006), one at Arizona State (2006–07) under former coach Herb Sendek, two at Ohio State (2007–09) under Thad Matta, and two at Arizona (2009–11) under his brother Sean.[4] While at Arizona, Miller shined as a top recruiter, helping secure Arizona's top 10 recruiting class for 2011 recruits. He also excelled as a game strategist and designed the Wildcats' upset of eighth-ranked Texas to get them to the Sweet 16.[5]

University of Dayton (2011–2017)[edit]

Miller became the head coach of the Dayton Flyers men's basketball team in 2011 and turned around a program that had back-to-back disappointing seasons.[4] His first season with Dayton saw Miller take the school to 20 wins. In his third year, 2014, he had the Flyers in the Elite Eight with 26 wins; to get there, Dayton upset three higher seeded teams. After the Elite Eight run in 2014, Miller faced replacing three starters and four seniors from that team. Despite having a depleted roster featuring just six players who were recruited to Dayton and no active player taller than 6-foot-6, Miller led his Flyers to a 27–9 overall record and to the third round of the 2015 NCAA tournament.[2]

In the following three seasons, Miller averaged over 25 wins and each year coached the team made to the NCAA tournament. The latter two the Flyers also earned regular season Atlantic 10 champion titles.[6]   Per Wiki.

Ohio State wanted him.  Others wanted him.  But something happened and he did not transfer his success at Dayton to IU.  I had Archie Miller somewhere below 5 in my list of potential IU HC candidates at the time.  I liked Archie Miler here at Dayton.  One year he had 7 scholarship players and won the conference title and did decently in the NCAAT.

He never got the players at IU.  Point guards are critical.  IU has struggled getting a good one for years, except for Yogi's freshman year...and he was a freshman.  And his pack line defense sucked at IU.  But in all honesty it worked at Dayton because he had players that bought into it, were long, gave effort, and played like a team.  At IU, the team went the other way.  Partly because of...ahem...locker-room issues and the administration's lack of support.

Cure those few things, which I believe IU has to some extent, and Dusty May could get an assist that Archie Miller never did at IU.

Do I feel strongly about it?  Yeah.

Did Archie Miller need to be gone.  Yeah.

I just hope that someday soon, IU puts a good plan into place for winning at IU.  Not saying we don't have one. (Cough, cough.)  I just don't see it.  And if I don't see it...

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

OK since @AZ Hoosier is firing me. I'm going to say this since it's been a good day so far and we have a game tonight.

From what I'm hearing I don't think QB is going to block Dolson from making a move after the season. He might not agree with it but he won't stop it from happening.

That is the good news. The bad news as of today is I would slowly start bracing ourselves that Bruce Pearl might not be the next coach. I'm not sure Dolson can get enough support for it. 

I think IU has a case of FOMO. If I were to guess today and this could change later today or this week I would say Dusty May would be the next coach. 

bummer on Pearl but Dusty as option B is one hell of a lot better than what we currently have

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

OK since @AZ Hoosier is firing me. I'm going to say this since it's been a good day so far and we have a game tonight.

From what I'm hearing I don't think QB is going to block Dolson from making a move after the season. He might not agree with it but he won't stop it from happening.

That is the good news. The bad news as of today is I would slowly start bracing ourselves that Bruce Pearl might not be the next coach. I'm not sure Dolson can get enough support for it. 

I think IU has a case of FOMO. If I were to guess today and this could change later today or this week I would say Dusty May would be the next coach. 

Best Chris Bomb of all time LETS GOOOOO

We are in agreement on this. I was all in on Pearl last time, but figured our squeaky clean administration would not consider it. I understand Archie had his warts we should have vetted, but on paper it was lauded. No one thought he would fail. I thought Woodson would probably fail from the jump. 
Nope we can't hire pearl we already hired Sampson who now has the number 1 team in the country. Those darn text messages we are too good for that. Let's give Woodson two more years woot woot.

3 hours ago, iubhounds2 said:

It is great to see such a well written post and another "possible" insider to keep us attached to this thread. I wonder who this might be? Someone within the department? A secretary close to both QB and SD? For hump day it will definitely keep my brain cells active. Yet with a late tip off time tonight this 71 year old @$$ will probably need an afternoon siesta while his bloodhound and basset hound get their needed rest, since "the hounds were released" a few days ago. I look forward to post #2, KathywithaC. The hounds are already snoring this morning anticipating more news from this brand new account. Hell of a first post. Very good.

Came in like a boss . Gotta love this board . By far the best for IU bball discussion. 

I still cannot believe we blew up the program over Sampson who has averaged 31 wins the last three years. You never ever ever hear about kids being ineligible anymore but we fired him over text messages and kids grades. Houston is laughing at us big time.

6 minutes ago, Muskie for three said:

Came in like a boss . Gotta love this board . By far the best for IU bball discussion. 

Yes @KathywithaC thank you for telling us we are all ignorant without making us feel ignorant. That is remarkable.

And now that you have that purdue jockstrap off your name you are one of us. Not much you can do about it now!

43 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Possibly the alums assumed he could coach IU because he coached in the NBA. There are some people that are NBA snobs.  The NBA has the best players in the world and a lot of smart basketball coaches.  They assume since the NBA play is better, then NBA coaches could easily coach college ball.  Some things do translate which can be seen in well-designed out-of-bounds plays.  However, the games are different in a lot of ways with recruiting, player development, and roster utilization chief among them.  It's no coincidence that Juwann Howard was better with Beilein's players or Woodson with Archie's.   

Beyond all of that... Woodson wasn't even a .500 coach... and the dude trying to keep him in charge was only a .153 coach... math don't lie.

NBA = star players, no "teaching", no recruiting, 82-game seasons

College = good to great players, constantly working on fundamentals, constant recruiting, babysitting, 25-35 game seasons

Two completely different animals.

I can live with this. 
I would love Pearl, but I do think Dusty May is also an appealing candidate and he could be here for a very long time if things work out. Change has to happen this offseason... I will be happy with either of the two presumed leaders at this point. History definitely suggests it's unlikely people in positions of power with objections to Pearl's history will get over them any time soon.
All aboard the Dusty train...
Better than Woodson for sure. Pearl always seemed like a pipe deam cause the text messages will haunt us forever.