Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I think that Woody getting salty when fans roasted him after a 19-14 season has become an offense that is irreversibly non-negotiable in the minds of some. Read this thread —you will see who may feel that way.

Those that feel that way are certainly entitled to.

In the world we live in there are some bad moments that are irreversibly non-negotiable. For me? That most certainly wasn’t one of them.

Mike Woodson is a fellow alum and those who know him personally love him, and that includes his players. His roster construction sucked eggs last year and because of that e finished 19-14, 6th in a 14 team B1G at 10-10.

If he can fix things and win for the glory of old IU? Damn that would be awesome.

I will say that I have definitely seen more purpose in the roster construction this year. But that failure last year is still on him. He took zero accountability for it.

Now, my fear is he is going to sit back and revel in his "work" and think he is done. This "I don't take the shots" and "it's not my job to get 'player X' shots" attitude is his downfall. It IS his job. If he doesn't understand that, he will underachieve no matter how much talent he has.

IU is not just here to get players into the league. Other schools can win AND get players in the league. That is where he and his staff come in.

9 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Fired the coach with the best win percent. Fired the coach with the second best win percentage. Let's keep the tradition alive and fire the coach with the third best. Make sense to me.
The numbers, are the numbers.....twist them how you wish.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

Since you like numbers, what numbers suggest our coach did a good job last season?

13 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I think the goal for the program should be to compete for Big Ten and National championships. Woody himself has said this and that is the standard. The timing on this is the challenge. Do we expect our coach to do this from year 1 and every year after?  Probably not but we have enough resources that we should see how we are trending that way early and within 2-3 years should be knocking on that door if not there. 

Woody at IU was trending that way in years 1 and 2. He even carried some of that momentum into summer recruiting and looked on the verge of landing 3 top 15 kids. He swung big and missed badly.  He also had some recruiting success in the summer last year landing MM and Ware. He either failed to recruit guards or overvalued Gallo, X and Cupps and that helped lead to a bad year 3. 

So now what do we do?  We were trending upward in years 1 and 2. Some of that with improved play from Archie’s players and some from Woodys guys like JHS, Bates.  Year 2 was not enough to meet the standard of competing for national titles but we were on the doorstep of competing for big ten titles.

How do we define success at this point.  This is the tough point with a coach woodys age and with the reality of year 3. It sucks to be kind of starting over in year 4 but the reload has been impressive but what is a reasonable expectation now. Do we fire Woody if the team finishes in the top 4 of the BT, we get to the sweet 16 AND Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, Cupps, Newton and some new additions give the majority of fans optimism that the next year will be even better. I mean it would be year 4 and the best he did was 1 sweet 16 and probably no big ten titles. I agree this would constitute moving the goalposts and I am not a fan of doing that unless I feel we are on a reasonable path for major success. 

We should expect the success of other actual blue bloods if fans are going to act like we’re one. I’d define that as almost always a top-25 team and at least a couple of times a decade having a team that’s a legit threat to make the final four.

This would align with the likes of Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, UConn, etc. although some of them may have even higher bars.

1 minute ago, bigrod said:

I will say that I have definitely seen more purpose in the roster construction this year. But that failure last year is still on him. He took zero accountability for it.

Now, my fear is he is going to sit back and revel in his "work" and think he is done. This "I don't take the shots" and "it's not my job to get 'player X' shots" attitude is his downfall. It IS his job. If he doesn't understand that, he will underachieve no matter how much talent he has.

IU is not just here to get players into the league. Other schools can win AND get players in the league. That is where he and his staff come in.

All of this-completely reasonable! And time will tell. Soon.

But read this thread. The takes range from “he better do better” to “I would want him gone if he went to the Final Four next year.”

1 minute ago, Juwan Moye said:

We should expect the success of other actual blue bloods if fans are going to act like we’re one. I’d define that as almost always a top-25 team and at least a couple of times a decade having a team that’s a legit threat to make the final four.

This would align with the likes of Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, UConn, etc. although some of them may have even higher bars.

We can aspire to the level of teams like UConn, but we haven’t been at their level for quite a while. We are Tennessee or Nebraska football currently.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

All of this-completely reasonable! And time will tell. Soon.

But read this thread. The takes range from “he better do better” to “I would want him gone if he went to the Final Four next year.”

The ones in the latter category, well at least several in this group, felt that way before the true fans comment.  This level of hate I cannot really understand 

Too bad they still have the misfortune of being coached by Mike Woodson. Yeah, last season was poor roster construction that he was responsible for but he's also a lousy coach that can't maximize what he does have.
Per ant Wright being a top 5 seed in the big ten tourney gets Woodson another year. They are going to make the expectations low enough it will be impossible for Woodson to not meet them. He also says Woodson overachieved last year. Lol.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Per ant Wright being a top 5 seed in the big ten tourney gets Woodson another year. They are going to make the expectations low enough it will be impossible for Woodson to not meet them. He also says Woodson overachieved last year. Lol.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Top 5 in an 18 team P5 conference? That would mean we are also a top 25 team and a pretty high NCAA seed. Probably equates to a conference record of 14-6 or 13-7.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I think that Woody getting salty when fans roasted him after a 19-14 season has become an offense that is irreversibly non-negotiable in the minds of some. Read this thread —you will see who may feel that way.

Those that feel that way are certainly entitled to.

In the world we live in there are some bad moments that are irreversibly non-negotiable. For me? That most certainly wasn’t one of them.

Mike Woodson is a fellow alum and those who know him personally love him, and that includes his players. His roster construction sucked eggs last year and because of that e finished 19-14, 6th in a 14 team B1G at 10-10.

If he can fix things and win for the glory of old IU? Damn that would be awesome.

I hope he wins it all... and then retires . It's not like non-great coaches have never won a title before.  

I want IU to be the best program in the country and for many reasons I believe that won't be with Woody.  But hoping IU loses is a fools errand because nobody knows the circumstances and stimuli needed for a coaching change to the next (hopefully) great coach.  

Man, I would have loved to seen this board in play through the RMK era.  Missing some tournaments, losing to Cleveland State, Richmond… Some awesome highs, and some crazy lows.

I’m in for another year of Woody.  Hoping he does great, he has the pieces in place.  next year will be the real example of the new era college (semi-pro) ball for ALL teams with eternal free agency and $$ now fully taking over.  If next year goes poorly it’s time for everyone to really evaluate who can coach in the new CBB world with new rosters every year.

11 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I hope he wins it all... and then retires . It's not like non-great coaches have never won a title before.  

I want IU to be the best program in the country and for many reasons I believe that won't be with Woody.  But hoping IU loses is a fools errand because nobody knows the circumstances and stimuli needed for a coaching change to the next (hopefully) great coach.  

God bless it that would be a great outcome.

And if we could get one of my three Indiana raised, 48 year old coaches as the next head coach? That’d make it even sweeter.

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Knock yourselves out. Post what you want, where you want. I have no authority here to dictate anything. But there are warnings through out the non Fire Woodson thread that "don't post that here, there's a thread for that".  Apparently there isn't.

I'm just saying that Woodson hasn't done anything yet to have earned my support. Calling fans who were angry and disappointed with his results "not true fans" was a cheap shot, and did nothing to win over anyone.

Winning the off-season is nothing. But yeah, he bought some talent, so let's give him a raise, extend his contract and give him a crown.

This is what's been so frustrating because you and I and a lot of others really aren't that far apart in our views.  I don't consider myself a sunshine pumper.  I was hoping he'd be replaced and said so numerous times and his arrogance and his comments at senior night did absolutely nothing to endear him to me.  But I want the team to do well and indirectly that means I have to hope that Woody does well as the team's coach.  Absolutely no idea if he can but I've accepted that he's our coach for the 24-25 season.  He and the staff have done a remarkable job in the portal but the real question remains is what can Woody do with that talent.  Hey, I'm in that same group that have a big question mark in my mind.  I would just like for many others to accept the fact that he is our coach and not find it necessary to bring the negativism into virtually every thread we have.   

I’m at the wait and see perspective.  This is a really good job of roster construction, something he didn’t do that great last year.  Right now this team should be a top 15 team and if he lands a decent backup big, that would be a great job of roster construction and could eventually crack the top 10, IMO.  I’ve said it before and I will say it again, this is probably the most complete roster that IU has had since before Crean.  Now Woodson and staff has to coach them.  Let’s let the season play out

Posted (edited)

Posted this in the other thread:

I will say this.  We have the largest budget and sounds like we have used a crap ton of it if the numbers are true.  We should have the most talent of any Big Ten team also.  Composite 247 and 247 rankings 

Tucker- 5 star

Ballo - 5 star 

Mgbako - 5 star

Reneau - 4 star 

Rice - 4 star

Goode - 4 star

Carlyle - 4 star

Cupps - 4 star

Newton - 4 star

Galloway - 4 star

Leal - 4 star 

If we don’t win the Big Ten with all that talent and make at least an elite 8 what’s he ever going to do?  What Big Ten team has that level of ranking talent? I will save you, none.  Michigan State has one five star and 3 and 4 stars.  Purdue has 4 and 3 stars.  They aren’t spending the money we are.  ”

He needs to win the Big and make a deep tourney run.  If he doesn’t he will never do much.  He is spending the most money and has the most talent stats wise.  Crean never had this level of talent and won it.  Also Creans Big Ten was way more difficult.  

Edited by IUGRAD06

42 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This is what's been so frustrating because you and I and a lot of others really aren't that far apart in our views.  I don't consider myself a sunshine pumper.  I was hoping he'd be replaced and said so numerous times and his arrogance and his comments at senior night did absolutely nothing to endear him to me.  But I want the team to do well and indirectly that means I have to hope that Woody does well as the team's coach.  Absolutely no idea if he can but I've accepted that he's our coach for the 24-25 season.  He and the staff have done a remarkable job in the portal but the real question remains is what can Woody do with that talent.  Hey, I'm in that same group that have a big question mark in my mind.  I would just like for many others to accept the fact that he is our coach and not find it necessary to bring the negativism into virtually every thread we have.   

I was rebuked early on about the "negativism" in the other threads and have tried to keep my "Fire Woodson" posts here in the "Fire Woodson" thread. I cannot speak to what others do.

Appreciate your post, and yeah, I want the team to do well, but frankly, I have zero respect for Woodson as a coach and a "leader" of the program. I have to work that out in my mind, and hopefully by the time they tip the ball, I'll be there. Until then, fire his arrogant lazy@$$.

Just remember, the best predictor of future performance is past, relevant performance. And that ain't good, in my book.

Is Woody in the top half of Bg Ten coaches? He’s kind of followed the tradition of the last few decades with plenty of stars and little to nothing to show for it.

It kind of feels like a Cal-Kensucky-lite situation with great individual talent that goes to the league but doesn’t do much for the program. We’ve been a pretty dumb program for awhile and that hasn’t changed under Woody despite the influx of talent (or not talent when we’re trying to excuse his bad coaching).

He could go to a FF next year and if I could get the coach I want after I’d let him go. An overachieving year would be a nice change for once. My emotions couldn’t care less what Woody says to fans. He just needs to win and at a high level.

My hope for this year is that a few players step up in the next few months as leaders because the coach isn’t leading them to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, IUGRAD06 said:

Posted this in the other thread:

I will say this.  We have the largest budget and sounds like we have used a crap ton of it if the numbers are true.  We should have the most talent of any Big Ten team also.  Composite 247 and 247 rankings 

Tucker- 5 star

Ballo - 5 star 

Mgbako - 5 star

Reneau - 4 star 

Rice - 4 star

Goode - 4 star

Carlyle - 4 star

Cupps - 4 star

Newton - 4 star

Galloway - 4 star

Leal - 4 star 

If we don’t win the Big Ten with all that talent and make at least an elite 8 what’s he ever going to do?  What Big Ten team has that level of ranking talent? I will save you, none.  Michigan State has one five star and 3 and 4 stars.  Purdue has 4 and 3 stars.  They aren’t spending the money we are.  ”

He needs to win the Big and make a deep tourney run.  If he doesn’t he will never do much.  He is spending the most money and has the most talent stats wise.  Crean never had this level of talent and won it.  Also Creans Big Ten was way more difficult.  

We won the B1G "star" wars last year and Woodson managed to go 10-10 in the league in a "down" year. The 24-25 season should be something to see. (Woodson: here, hold my wine)