Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

Would be curious to know what the sunshine pumpers think.

”we won the offseason!

”cool, so if we don’t make the sweet 16 we fire our coach, right?”

”whoa whoa, let’s be reasonable here”

Mike Woodson’s major, horrible problem last season was roster construction. And that’s on him.

For this coming year we have a helluva good roster.

Feels like a shot at Woodson in this:

"It felt like a perfect fit," McNeeley said. "Coach Hurley is a hard-nosed coach. That's the kind of coach I thrive under. The offensive system they run is perfect for my game. The culture of the team. The sets they run. They are going to help me get better on both sides of the ball. The whole coaching staff are good people."

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Whether we underachieve is completely dependent on expectations.

I've seen 'expectations for a satisfied fan' on this board ranging from "safely make the tourney" to "better than Purdue's 17-3 conference record last year." It makes sense; different people with honestly-held opinions will have different standards.

Indeed. If we set our expectations low enough, even Mediocre Mike might exceed them. Still can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. He bought the team, and won the off season. Nothing to see here, folks.

Kudos to NGW for being basically the lone voice suggesting there was good reason for optimism for IU. His style can be debatable certainly but props to him/her for knowing and believing in this path. Yeah of course you have to win on the court but you can’t expect to compete next season if you don’t also win the offseason. Everyone basically had us on life support with no hope and now look.  There is hope not only for next year but we also have some talent that could be here a few years. 

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Kudos to NGW for being basically the lone voice suggesting there was good reason for optimism for IU. His style can be debatable certainly but props to him/her for knowing and believing in this path. Yeah of course you have to win on the court but you can’t expect to compete next season if you don’t also win the offseason. Everyone basically had us on life support with no hope and now look.  There is hope not only for next year but we also have some talent that could be here a few years. 

Too bad they still have the misfortune of being coached by Mike Woodson. Yeah, last season was poor roster construction that he was responsible for but he's also a lousy coach that can't maximize what he does have.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Too bad they still have the misfortune of being coached by Mike Woodson. Yeah, last season was poor roster construction that he was responsible for but he's also a lousy coach that can't maximize what he does have.

He definitely has some changes to make if he wants to win Big Ten and national titles.  I would argue he isn’t lousy but is closer to an average coach and most of us are ready for a great coach again. 

Yep. Too bad for Indiana fans we had to suffer a year of utter mismanagement by Woodson and staff to realize he better pay and work his @$$ off to make us relevant in the college basketball landscape. And then, now we should be apologetic for being upset about the awful season he constructed and delivered.

It’s all too weird. But, either way, I’m glad we didn’t fold the program and accept mediocrity, but instead we are acting like a blue blood that absolutely rakes in money from a devoted fanbase and are trying to at least pretend to aim for the promises they suggested they want to contend for.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

27 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

He definitely has some changes to make if he wants to win Big Ten and national titles.  I would argue he isn’t lousy but is closer to an average coach and most of us are ready for a great coach again. 

Of the coaches we've had since Knight was fired, excluding Dakich as interim, he might be better than Miller/Davis but that's it; Crean was better and Sampson isn't even a discussion. Yeah, he's pretty lousy.

I'd agree we're ready for a great coach again, but at this point I have less than no faith that IU will land one or really make a serious effort after hiring a guy solely because he played here 40 years ago.

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

but you can’t expect to compete next season if you don’t also win the offseason.

That's not true in the slightest.  2 years ago people, specifically on this site,  made fun of how bad Purdue was going to be,  how bad their guards were,  and how slow edey was. They won the B1G.  

You can look around and see other teams are cleaning up too. Kansas had about their worst year under Self after last seasons big portal haul. The off-season likely doesn't predict much. 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Of the coaches we've had since Knight was fired, excluding Dakich as interim, he might be better than Miller/Davis but that's it; Crean was better and Sampson isn't even a discussion. Yeah, he's pretty lousy.

I'd agree we're ready for a great coach again, but at this point I have less than no faith that IU will land one or really make a serious effort after hiring a guy solely because he played here 40 years ago.

He’s the worst, imho. He’s the only one who has the benefit of NIL + the transfer portal and it’s gotten him 1 tournament win in three years. 

12 hours ago, bigrod said:

Yep. I didn't want to put this in the expectation thread, because I've seen others get scolded for being honest in other threads, but my expectation is that we will underachieve yet again. I sincerely hope the coaching staff proves me wrong, but unless something changes, that is my expectation.

I’m kind of feeling that way too. I know on paper this could be a damn good team but I don’t have confidence in our coaching staff to bring this team together and get them to play up to their potential.  Yes, I have little confidence that Woodson and staff can get them over the proverbial hump!

16 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

I suppose you have to compartmentalize expectations -- with and without Woodson?  In my mind, Woodson has nothing do to with expectations.  He either gets it done or doesn't.  He has all the pieces in place for a really good team -- Big10 Champs, Sweet 16/Elite 8, etc.  If he can't do it, then yes time to move on (as this is the Fire Mike Woodson thread).  

You don’t have to compartmentalize anything. Two years ago, IU spent all but 3 weeks ranked, finished 2nd in the B10, and swept the outright champs. And did it with 2 starters missing the majority of the year.

This coming years roster DWARFS that teams roster and that roster had an AA and a top 20 draft pick. Last seasons guards STUNK. Bottom line, that’s it and that’s all. 

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He’s the worst, imho. He’s the only one who has the benefit of NIL + the transfer portal and it’s gotten him 1 tournament win in three years. 

lol. Were you alive for the Archie era? He took Archie’s players and went to the tournament back to back years. 

Serious question, short of a national title…is there anything Woodson can do right next year? 

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There's a reason I put might in italics. Woodson got to the tournament, and got whooped, with Miller's players and missed completely with his own so far; at least Davis can say he went to the title game with someone else's players.

Woodson hadn't been a HC in almost 10 years, and was out of coaching entirely for a couple of years; no one else was going to give him another shot and there’s a reason for that.

4 hours ago, AH1971 said:

You don’t have to compartmentalize anything. Two years ago, IU spent all but 3 weeks ranked, finished 2nd in the B10, and swept the outright champs. And did it with 2 starters missing the majority of the year.

This coming years roster DWARFS that teams roster and that roster had an AA and a top 20 draft pick. Last seasons guards STUNK. Bottom line, that’s it and that’s all. 

And ended up getting blown out of the gym.  

May have better guards, but they haven’t played in Mike Woodson’s system.   Has he fixed the 3 point defense?  If we continue to trade 2 for 3 it’s going to be a long year.  We still going to pound the ball inside with 2 bigs, or open up the lane to give the new guards room to work?  Etc. Etc. 

14 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It was so much more than roster construction if we are being honest. But roster construction certainly sets limitations.  Staff fumbled the ball every way they could last season then managed to have a final record that looked better than anything we saw on the court all season.  Here’s to hoping he’s learned more lessons than just talent evaluations and roster construction.  

We’ve still got a lot to prove but if I was a coach this is the type of roster I would want to try to prove it with.  Backup 5 still a legit consideration. 

Time to see a team that shoots the  ball, that uses the whole floor, that can play a balanced offense, that isn’t one dimensional, that can play inside out, that runs p&r —

we actually have the guys who can now we see if we have the coach who can, no more excuses 

6 hours ago, AH1971 said:

lol. Were you alive for the Archie era? He took Archie’s players and went to the tournament back to back years. 

Serious question, short of a national title…is there anything Woodson can do right next year? 

Yeah, he can do a 180 with his personality and start treating other people with respect/start putting effort into his job. That’d go a long way. Until then, I don’t really care what he does on the court. 

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is where the insanity takes over in the thread. Miller never made a tournament or beat Purdue. 

6 hours ago, AH1971 said:

How about being consistently in or around the top-25 and securing a 7-seed or better, otherwise he’s fired. Is that reasonable?