Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

This was posted in another thread but it deserves some attention here. Woodson is 3 for 3 in underperforming KenPom preseason rankings. His average has been -25.67 which is pretty bad. Since IU is only 39th this year, it should be easy for him to change that trend. If not? Then he should be shown the door.

This is also why some people aren't convinced this year will be as great as the roster indicates it should be.

45 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

This is a typical misleading post per usual. Kentucky for a decade and a half has always gotten top 5 recruiting classes and besides Cals first couple years they only won one championship. IU during that same tenure has had good recruits coming in . 

it’s coaching that will dictate where we go. With the kids coming in you’re going to need a coach that makes them gel. That takes a ton of time and commitment and if you’re being fair, Coach Woodson has had problem devoting that type of time. The question I have for our fanbase is that if this is the best talent he has/ bring in and if we just get to the sweet sixteen….. are we ok with that? 

No.

The collective freakout that ensued was the thought that Woodson should have been out recruiting the portal (during dead week) instead of playing golf and because he was playing golf instead of recruiting the portal (during dead week) we weren't going to land anybody "good" in the portal and the usual gloom and doom followed the next couple days. 

10 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It seems that MW can only recruit well in the short term and with millions of dollars.  What happens if and when both dry up?

Not relating this to Woodson cause I'm not a true fan, per his assessment; but I don't think either will dry up at IU for different reasons.

Short-term recruitments will continue to exist as players get recruited over and want to transfer, or ball out and look for greener pastures, or coaches change schools so kids don't want to stay committed.

There seems to be a lot of donors across the money spectrum that still love IU and want to do what they can to support the program. The money may dry up if enough donors are really upset, but the money part of recruitment isn't just a concern with Woodson's recruiting ability or IU even at-large. That's such a tremendous recruiting and retainment resource that every school is constantly strengthening and developing new pipelines. No coach can consistently recruit top talent without it. Now, some coaches can develop talent, which maybe we should or shouldn't fear under Woodson. I think we've seen examples of great player  development and player stagnation. 

It seems that MW can only recruit well in the short term and with millions of dollars.  What happens if and when both dry up?
Why would it dry up I thought the two big donors just loved woodson.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Looking at how Dolson approached and executed the Football hire, how do we think he would approach the Basketball hire, if Woodson were to be relieved of his duties?

He had a set of criteria he was looking for in the football coach. I’m curious what those criteria would when the time comes.

I’ve come to grips with the reality that the Brad Stevens types aren’t walking through that door. It will have to be an up and comer. 

Luke Murray gets my vote.  

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Looking at Dolson approached and executed the Football hire, how do we think he would approach the Basketball hire, if Woodson were to be relieved of his duties?

He had a set of criteria he was looking for in the football coach. I’m curious what those criteria would when the time comes.

I’ve come to grips with the reality that the Brad Stevens types aren’t walking through that door. It will have to be an up and comer. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

34 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Looking at how Dolson approached and executed the Football hire, how do we think he would approach the Basketball hire, if Woodson were to be relieved of his duties?

I think Scherz would get serious consideration.  You get Coach Cig vibes in that he's just a flat out winner.  Has won big everywhere he's been.  

3 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I think Scherz would get serious consideration.  You get Coach Cig vibes in that he's just a flat out winner.  Has won big everywhere he's been.  

I was just going to post the same thing.  Dolson's first box to check with the Cig hire was successful experience running a program.  Of course, spending a few days talking to these guys in interviews reveals a lot that we don't know.  Winning at programs that don't typically win usually reveals a lot.  If Schertz wins at Saint Louis, I would think he'd be at the top of the list.  If Dusty wins at Michigan, he'll be right there, too.

7 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I was just going to post the same thing.  Dolson's first box to check with the Cig hire was successful experience running a program.  Of course, spending a few days talking to these guys in interviews reveals a lot that we don't know.  Winning at programs that don't typically win usually reveals a lot.  If Schertz wins at Saint Louis, I would think he'd be at the top of the list.  If Dusty wins at Michigan, he'll be right there, too.

If Dusty wins at Michigan? He'll be at Michigan. And if he doesn't win at Michigan he won't be at IU.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If Dusty wins at Michigan? He'll be at Michigan. And if he doesn't win at Michigan he won't be at IU.

If I’m Scott Dolson, when Woodson’s done at IU and if Dusty’s been successful at Michigan, I’m going to call Dusty.  Whether Dusty says yes or not is something I’ll let you speculate about.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Screenshotting because SS deletes tweets a lot 

IMG_0111.png

Interesting.

On one hand, his "email" from last year was so incredibly, incorrectly positive. So his inference that things aren't rosy could be just as inaccurate.

On the other hand, I think that this is Woody's last year and that Dolson sees that players don't want to commit to playing for the grandpa vibe. And that's whether we meet or don't meet expectations this year.

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

Hopefully “has coached college basketball” is on his criteria list this time around. 

Fear and trepidation?  Meaning the staff has realized they once again don't have enough 3 point shooting to be elite?

I imagine there is also a lot of angst over the recruiting misses and I'd bet Woody has been blaming his staff as we know he never takes accountability for anything.