Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

8 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Now this is pretty surprising to me, with our development of big guys, and apparent access to Scrooge McDuck money I thought this one might be a slam dunk (pun absolutely intended). Don’t know what this signals, whether disaster brewing or maybe an offensive change, or he simply preferred the ACC and NC State, but we certainly can outbid those bozos, so money appears to not be everything. Shocker. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Sounds like we had an in-home visit with Hickman. I think his parents live on a golf course. Woody stopped by when he was looking for his ball outside of their backyard. He just happened to be home. I'm kidding of course

Hopefully not kidding about that visit?

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Hopefully not kidding about that visit?

Not kidding about the in-home visit. They don't live on a golf course. Not sure his dad even lives in Bloomington anymore. 

Interesting conversation on ESPNU radio this morning. Rick Neuheisel was suggesting that Cal is on his way out, and that the logical replacement would be Dan Hurley. That the power, as we well know, will be centered on the SEC and B1G, and that Hurley needs to get to one of those conferences. He also stated that the AD at UConn is a finalist for the Arizona St. open AD position, that the guy was born and raised in Tempe, and that he is trying his best to get to a school with a real football program. Neuheisel went on to state that if the AD left UConn, any allegiances Hurley would have there would be gone as well.

The Cal is gone thought was just Neuheisel's opinion, but if the thought that Hurley could be had next year is accurate, and if in fact this is Woodson's last hurrah, do y'all have any faith that IU would make a push to hire Hurley?

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Interesting conversation on ESPNU radio this morning. Rick Neuheisel was suggesting that Cal is on his way out, and that the logical replacement would be Dan Hurley. That the power, as we well know, will be centered on the SEC and B1G, and that Hurley needs to get to one of those conferences. He also stated that the AD at UConn is a finalist for the Arizona St. open AD position, that the guy was born and raised in Tempe, and that he is trying his best to get to a school with a real football program. Neuheisel went on to state that if the AD left UConn, any allegiances Hurley would have there would be gone as well.

thanks for that info ... makes a lot of sense. Things change when the AD changes no matter how well you are doing. The AD change last fall at the start of football in Washington was obviously a factor when DeBoer turned down $9M/yr in November.

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

The Cal is gone thought was just Neuheisel's opinion, but if the thought that Hurley could be had next year is accurate, and if in fact this is Woodson's last hurrah, do y'all have any faith that IU would make a push to hire Hurley?

I would love it, I would think it seems too obvious for our administration to try to do it.

Now I can't remember where I heard it, so don't take it for the gospel but I read somewhere his wife is from NY or someplace like that and he had to beg her to go to UCONN. So moving to the midwest or south would seem like moving to China to her

15 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

IF Hurley could be had, should they, yes; but I have more faith that I'll win the lottery back to back times.

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would love it, I would think it seems too obvious for our administration to try to do it.

Now I can't remember where I heard it, so don't take it for the gospel but I read somewhere his wife is from NY or someplace like that and he had to beg her to go to UCONN. So moving to the midwest or south would seem like moving to China to her

Kentucky would seem like another planet to her. A planet with few teeth and a bunch of inbreds.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes, in interviews when he was hired at Wagner, Rhode Island, and UConn, he's made references to having to convince his wife to let him take the job, because she does not like change and wants to be close to her family in Jersey City, where they are both from. I think Rhode Island at 3.5 hours was about as far as she'd ever be willing to go. UConn feels like a perfect fit for Hurley when you combine that with the fact that basketball is king there... he's already got it rolling and it's fueled by a regional recruiting pipeline he's built over a lifetime. 

I do not think there is any feasible amount of money that would make Danny Hurley jump right now. You never know... but the thing is, the Hurley family has shown time and time again that they're not necessarily motivated by money. Bob SR. could have left plenty of times over the years... a lot of that loyalty mindset exists in Danny... he coached HS for about 10 years and only made the jump to college because his wife essentially gave him the green light since she could see the need for competition burning within him, lol. He said Coach K told him in his final year at URI that he had to make a move now and he said that's what prompted him to being open to a change I believe. 

The only way I could see it making sense for him is if UConn becomes so diminished in conference re-alignments that he feels he can no longer be competitive on a national level (I don't see that happening personally). Even then, I think Hurley is the kind who would take pride in staying put and "beating the odds" despite conference challenges. I also think from an ego perspective, he'd love to be the indisputable top dog over Calhoun, but that's entirely my own speculation... he's just a maniac like that and I think he fits UConn like a glove. 

Just now, JSHoosier said:

Kentucky would seem like another planet to her. A planet with few teeth and a bunch of inbreds.

I don't have the time to find the clips right now, but I'm fairly sure Hurley has actually made some pretty offensive comments about "hicks" not sure if that was in reference to the south or midwest though lol... point is, I think people can be fairly certain he is a northeast guy with a northeast-based family and that is unlikely to change. 

2 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

That the power, as we well know, will be centered on the SEC and B1G, and that Hurley needs to get to one of those conferences. 

I like this Nuheisal guy, since I’ve been saying that for a while. :)  I don’t know about Hurley, specifically, but the non P2 guys should all be at least drawing up contingency plans. (Maybe not B12, they seem to have secured themselvesa seat at the table).  My guess is the really well funded basketball ones—Duke, UNC, UConn—can post enough to keep their elite coaches should they have one. 

But other guys, even big names, are potentially get-able. I’ve used Tony Bennett as my example. They’re already getting with the new nil/transfer setup. Do you really want to be sitting at UVA if the ACC blows up and Unc, duke, Clemson, FSU go to the P2 schools and they start to squeeze everybody else to 2nd class status? Hell no.  

My guess is once the Big/sec have assumed enough power they fold the ncaa out of football, but try and put the pieces back together for basketball (no need to risk the tourney since its a cash cow as currently constituted) and  other sports.  

BUT…there’s enough instability there it should worry non P5 coaches and their agents. If IU had a competent admin…and I fully understand we don’t…we’d be laying in the weeds waiting for the time to make a big run at and monster offer to somebody like Hurley.  

It’d be interesting to pick Dusty Mays brain and see why he chose UM over Lville. I’d bet conference stability and future may have played a small part.  

PS- I’ll be sick to my stomach if UK pulls Hurley.