Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I guess we just have differing definitions of playmaking. Will concede that Trey had good facilitating numbers but 10 points on 9 shots shooting 26/56 from 3/FT is awful to put it bluntly, out of a lead guard no less. He was subpar finishing at the rim and even worse when teams made him earn it. Was not a threat to shoot from the perimeter or in PnR. And he was the best back court player we had which says a lot. 

Ballo will definitely get paint touches, but his points and shots will come off lobs in PnR action and off drive and dumps just like they did at Arizona. He’ll likely score more off the glass than anything. But I think it’s paranoia at this point to suggest Woodson’s offense is going to revolve entirely around Ballo like it did TJD/Ware the last three seasons. He’s just not that kind of player.

Again,  I agree Ballo is not that type of player.  He gets his points on dunks and offensive rebounds.  However, Woodson is still going to run his offense through the post.  Most of that’s going to be MR, but Ballo will get some touches.  I don’t see us putting up 25 threes a game you suggest.  I would love it if we did, but Woodson’s track record does not support that.  It’s not just the studs like TJD/Ware. We would throw it into Race.  Heck, every time Michael Durr was in the game in his one year here we would throw it into him.   This is not a personnel thing this is a system thing.  When the man himself has repeatedly said that he believes the college game is still run through the post and there has been no evidence to suggest that he doesn’t believe that then I don’t know what else to say.

22 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I guess we just have differing definitions of playmaking. Will concede that Trey had good facilitating numbers but 10 points on 9 shots shooting 26/56 from 3/FT is awful to put it bluntly, out of a lead guard no less. He was subpar finishing at the rim and even worse when teams made him earn it. Was not a threat to shoot from the perimeter or in PnR. And he was the best back court player we had which says a lot. 

Ballo will definitely get paint touches, but his points and shots will come off lobs in PnR action and off drive and dumps just like they did at Arizona. He’ll likely score more off the glass than anything. But I think it’s paranoia at this point to suggest Woodson’s offense is going to revolve entirely around Ballo like it did TJD/Ware the last three seasons. He’s just not that kind of player.

I so hope you are right.

But I don’t know how you can say it is paranoia to suggest the offense will revolve around ballo. Given the three years we have already and the fact we paid him $1million (or close to it). the focus on guards this portal has been refreshing, but still a lot to be concerned about regarding the offense and who will get the most touches 

59 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

"Subpar finishing at the rim" could not be farther from the truth on Galloway. He shot 58% on 2s last year on pretty high volume, which is outstanding for a guard. Second best 2PT% for a guard in the Big Ten.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Uh... they all have shot 3s at a higher clip than the guys you think will come in and suddenly start shooting 3s. That doesn't even include guys like Kopp and Ware. 

Your argument is literally we can't have those guys shooting more 3s because they shoot them at a higher percentage than the guys coming in who will shoot more 3s. Lol... 

Somehow,  you've actually deciphered the Mike Woodsons offense. Having stared into Woodsonpost offense and having it stare back,  I can conclusively say....Fire Mike Woodson!

lol, they have not shot 3’s at a higher clip. Going 11-30 (XJ) or 14-39 (Cupps) over the course of a 35 game season is not shooting at a higher clip, percentages be damned. No sense in wasting time arguing with somebody who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Our 5 core back court players last year made 77 combined 3’s. Carlyle and Rice made 62 and Carlyle missed 10 games, all as first year players. We didn’t shoot 3’s at a high clip last year because everybody not named Mgbako couldn’t hit a high clip if they tried. 

16 minutes ago, Shooter said:

"Subpar finishing at the rim" could not be farther from the truth on Galloway. He shot 58% on 2s last year on pretty high volume, which is outstanding for a guard. Second best 2PT% for a guard in the Big Ten.

He shot 44% from the field and 56% from the line. 10 points on 9 shots for a lead guard is terrible. There’s no sugarcoating that.

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

I so hope you are right.

But I don’t know how you can say it is paranoia to suggest the offense will revolve around ballo. Given the three years we have already and the fact we paid him $1million (or close to it). the focus on guards this portal has been refreshing, but still a lot to be concerned about regarding the offense and who will get the most touches 

Because Ballo isn’t that type of player. 

1 hour ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Again,  I agree Ballo is not that type of player.  He gets his points on dunks and offensive rebounds.  However, Woodson is still going to run his offense through the post.  Most of that’s going to be MR, but Ballo will get some touches.  I don’t see us putting up 25 threes a game you suggest.  I would love it if we did, but Woodson’s track record does not support that.  It’s not just the studs like TJD/Ware. We would throw it into Race.  Heck, every time Michael Durr was in the game in his one year here we would throw it into him.   This is not a personnel thing this is a system thing.  When the man himself has repeatedly said that he believes the college game is still run through the post and there has been no evidence to suggest that he doesn’t believe that then I don’t know what else to say.

3 out of the 4 Final Four teams highest usage player was that teams 5 (Edey, Clingan, Burns). Playing through the post does NOT mean throw the ball down low and not ever see it come back out. Jesus people!!!

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

He shot 44% from the field and 56% from the line. 10 points on 9 shots for a lead guard is terrible. There’s no sugarcoating that.

Yea his three point and free throw shooting were awful last year. We both agree on that.

You said his finishing at the rim was subpar, which was a completely false statement. 58% on 2s, second best in the Big Ten amongst guards. 

52 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Someone calls out some of your BS stats and you shift. 

He shot 46.6% from the field last year, not 44%. In fact, he's only shot worse than 46% from the field one year, his freshman year. 

He actually shot worse than that from the line last year at 53.3%. 

You're right that he did shoot 9 shots per game, unfortunately 3 of those were 3 pointers which he did not hit.

What changed between last year and the year before? TJD and his excellent passing out of the post went pro. That plus just trying to shoot more shots lead to his 3-point percentage dropping a ton. I have no problem with him shooting less 3s but that doesn't make him bad at finishing at the rim, like you tried to claim.

3 hours ago, str8baller said:

Woody Post-Offense Motto! 

Math? We don't need no stinking math!

Mike Woodson understands the analytics, no one understands the analytics better than Mike Woodson.

11 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Clearly some posters have woken up from a 3 year coma. I'm glad you're awake, I wish you didn't have to be subjected to whatever Woodson calls coaching.

I come and go. The end of the Crean era, then whatever that was under Archie, almost had me stop watching IU altogether. Didn’t go to a single game under Archie and only 1 under Woodson. I’m skeptical under Woodson for sure. Would have support a change. It didn’t happen so the best thing to do is support the team. Plenty of doubts but there is a path to being good next season and beyond. 

Yea his three point and free throw shooting were awful last year. We both agree on that.
You said his finishing at the rim was subpar, which was a completely false statement. 58% on 2s, second best in the Big Ten amongst guards. 
I think it's time to rename this thread the iu team discussion thread. It's no longer a fire mike woodson thread anymore.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Wrong forum.  We can only talk negative about Mike Woodson and him being fired here.  :)  

Damn dude, I raised 2 daughters and you're being more petulant than they ever were. Give it a rest, other people would like to read without your witty commentary.