Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

3 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I will take what I get, but 20+ years sounds a heck of a lot better than 8-10. But I would like to see 8-10 years of consistency first then we can go 15-20

I just think with the amount of money they make today plus the pressure there isn't much reason for them to keep coaching that long. Plus the portal and NIL has already drove out a lot of the older coaches so I don't see coaching college as a fun time 

51 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Anyone who has anything to do with that extension—up to and including the janitor that swept up the little paper circles from the 3-hole punch—should be automatically disqualified from having any part in the next coaching search.  

The pay raise was nothing in the grand scheme of things. The buyouts are what gets me with these coaching contracts.

4 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

The pay raise was nothing in the grand scheme of things. The buyouts are what gets me with these coaching contracts.

Yeah, these obscene buyouts are problematic... especially for a guy like Woodson - someone that no other team - college, pro, middle school or peewee - was interested in hiring... all these buyout clauses do is hogtie the employer...

But the raise is also a problem - not necessarily the amount of money as much as the message that it sends - a message that "hey, you're doing a wonderful job". With Woodson, the "wonderful job" was all smoke and mirrors coaching existing players but failing miserably as a recruiter. Recruiting one-and-dones every year is much more work, and so far, Woodson has not shown the desire or ability to put that work into the program...

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

I’ve seen people say we need to keep Woodson because we can’t keeping going through a cycle of hiring and firing coaches every 3-4 years. I get that…but get rid of this one, and THEN we can stop doing that ha 

We should stop hiring crappy coaches then.

34 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yeah, these obscene buyouts are problematic... especially for a guy like Woodson - someone that no other team - college, pro, middle school or peewee - was interested in hiring... all these buyout clauses do is hogtie the employer...

But the raise is also a problem - not necessarily the amount of money as much as the message that it sends - a message that "hey, you're doing a wonderful job". With Woodson, the "wonderful job" was all smoke and mirrors coaching existing players but failing miserably as a recruiter. Recruiting one-and-dones every year is much more work, and so far, Woodson has not shown the desire or ability to put that work into the program...

Most incompetent administration in college sports history.  It's not even close.  They did it with Crean, Allen, and now Woody.  3 guys no one else would've wanted.  Absolute insanity.

2 hours ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

My favorite part of this is at the beginning where Tom says, "I find it harder and harder to work 100-hour weeks and 360-day years. I'm starting to plan for that finish line, somewhere down the road, and I often wonder if Woodson does the same kind of planning and thinking."

I doubt Woody is putting in 100-hour weeks, and we know he isn't putting in 360-day years based on the number of pictures we see of him on the golf course.

40 hour traditional work week and the recent pay raise was for overtime.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

I’m sure he did. It’s part of the job. I remember an interview with Dean Smith where he said after a particularly bad season (or maybe game) he was walking back across campus and saw himself hung in effigy from a campus tree.  

If you were going to make a old Woody vs young coach K comparison, I’ll hang up and listen…

No comparison here…at all.  The campus tree is for the big bucks.  However, when Smith and Knight coached especially years ago contracts were alot different/LESS.  Coaches actually loved the game and earned money for what they did above and beyond in most cases.

4 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Ole Miss?

10 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

IMG_8893.thumb.jpeg.49eba3e524ec97b537658b58eb737999.jpeg

Utah St is the outlier.  There whole team is transfers and they are safely in the tourney.    Mcneese St also has 7+ but their coach is a piece of crap.  Butler has 6+ and are on the bubble 

Why would Woodson and everyone else want to leave such a high profile status financially rewarding job/career when the only thing that one has to do is not care what anyone thinks outside the very small circle.  Keep the circle small.  Enjoy and feel good.  Every one else can go jump in the lake (of fire).

3 hours ago, go iu bb said:

More like a 33% raise. It also extended his 100% buyout by a year. 

Additionally, Woodson received additional buyout protections. Under the terms of his original deal, Woodson would have been owed 100% of remaining guaranteed compensation before April 1, 2025, and 50% thereafter. Last year’s renegotiation pushed the 100% promise to April 1, 2026, than 50% for the remaining year of the deal. For reference, on April 1 of this year, his buyout would stand at roughly $12.6 million.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2024/02/20/indiana-basketball-mike-woodson-says-not-walking-away-from-job-buyout-details-contract-iu-hoosiers/72671079007/

AD malpractice…seriously!!

35 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

What I thought too. Don't they have 9-10 transfers?

Per Wikipedia they did. Looked at that page when I forgot Beard went to Ole Miss after their hot their hot start this season

1 hour ago, TTT said:

Why would Woodson and everyone else want to leave such a high profile status financially rewarding job/career when the only thing that one has to do is not care what anyone thinks outside the very small circle.  Keep the circle small.  Enjoy and feel good.  Every one else can go jump in the lake (of fire).

I said it earlier -- Pride.  

Who the hell wants to just steal money and not put 100% into the job?  Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.  What a wasted life.  

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Utah St is the outlier.  There whole team is transfers and they are safely in the tourney.    Mcneese St also has 7+ but their coach is a piece of crap.  Butler has 6+ and are on the bubble 

So what we are seeing atleast from this off season is that we are looking at around 7 new players… Granted not all portal players but a lot of them. How can we be certain getting a lot of portal players will make us an instant tournament team.

7 minutes ago, Trish said:

Indiana may need 7+ after some kids transfer out next month. 

So the portal won’t necessarily guarantee instant improvement and could take time…. Huh so…. Maybe just maybe a new coach would be the better move. Going off just this year…. The more players brought in by the portal is showing lack of results. Sounds like you need a foundation of players from the recruits you bring in… Currently we have 1 guy being brought in. I think a new coach is the way to go. I think if IU goes 0-2 this week the noise is going to be extremely loud. Also who is to say some of these guys don’t pack it in. I’m not saying they would but you never know.

So, now that the Queen ship seems to have sailed... I suppose speculation about McNeeley will ramp up. Cross another item off the waning list of excuses/justifications to keep Woody around for next year. 

We're gonna have to build darn near an entire team through the portal, regardless of whether Woody sticks around or not. 

23 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I said it earlier -- Pride.  

Who the hell wants to just steal money and not put 100% into the job?  Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.  What a wasted life.  

You are talking about people with good character.
Hundreds of thousands to Millions of people.  And by his or her measure (their measure) they put in way over 100%.  Look around.  Just ask them.