Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Mike Woodson on his coaches show a few minutes ago “I’m a realist, man. I mean I’ve been doing this a long time and I’ve seen good and bad teams, and it ain’t time to panic, you know, we’ve just got to continue to work and see where it leads us.” 
7 games left lol. He is so over his head

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I think if Jay wanted to coach again, he'd already have a job. He's said he's done -- and I get the impression he has no interest in dealing with NIL or the craziness that is the portal. 

Even if "money talks" and we were somehow able to make him -- as The Godfather said -- an offer he couldn't refuse, I'd be very leery. I'd worry that his heart really isn't into it and he's obviously only doing it for the $$$. 

Agree, the top 2 are just dream scenarios…….was more of a “hope”!  But hopefully we reach out and at least ask.

Just now, NVFalcons1990 said:

in no particular order 

1. Jay Wright - long shot but hope money talks, we have to put out the feeler.  Would be a king here

2. Brad Stephens - just to see if anything has changed, probably not as he’s in higher spot with Celtics

3. Nate Oates - Does he want the challenge, seems like the type

4. Mick Cronin - Does he miss the Midwest and would he bring excitement to the fan base

5. Mike White - Currently at Georgia, had some success at Florida

Wright is not coming back to coaching. Obviously I'm down with taking a shot. 

Stevens is also not coming back, we already backed up the brinks truck. Plus screw him for that whole masshole comment. 

Oats might want to come back to the midwest, but the buyout is 10 mill. Don't think we can afford him. Not to mention I have some reservations about his style. He's like top 5 in tempo every year. Gets really hard for him to win if his team is forced out of their style. 

Cronin is a decent coach, but he isn't doing so hot right now. I have questions about his ceiling. 

Mike White. This one has to be a joke, UF fans were ecstatic when he left. He was trending down at Florida. In fact, they regressed every year in Kenpom after a certain top assistant left. 

39 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Could this team lose the rest of its games?  And if so, no way you can keep Woodson at that point, right?

I think IU wins 1 more and maybe the 12/13 first round game too. So 2 more wins. Not that…. That’s any better

14 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

Nearly each institution in the BigTen has more money than they know what to do with. The new TV deal, big donors, etc. make almost anything feasible--if it is wanted badly enough. 

Also, if IU is willing to fork over $15+ million to get rid of a bad football head coach, then less money to move on from a bad coach in the beloved sport that has been the university's athletic identity for more than 85 years won't be an issue--if they really want to.

These buyouts sound like big money, and they are huge deals. It's just that the wallets are getting so fat it can be difficult to comprehend. 

If I am a "big donor", eventually I get tired of bailing the inept ADs at IU out of their horrible decisions. 

I cannot imagine the size of stones it takes for the AD to go the donors time after time after time after time with their hat in hand to get help getting out of a stupid deal that they made the last time they went begging from the donors... so they are saying " we messed up when we hired coach XYZ, but if you can help us get out of that deal we will do much better the next time"... and then they don't.

Evidence:
Basketball:Davis, Sampson, Crean, Miller, Woodson
Football: Corso, Wyche, Mallory, Cameron, DiNardo, Lynch, Wilson, Allen

2 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Oats might want to come back to the midwest, but the buyout is 10 mill. Don't think we can afford him. Not to mention I have some reservations about his style. He's like top 5 in tempo every year. Gets really hard for him to win if his team is forced out of their style. 

Also sounds like he is about to get good extension at Alabama too

35 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Mike Woodson on his coaches show a few minutes ago “I’m a realist, man. I mean I’ve been doing this a long time and I’ve seen good and bad teams, and it ain’t time to panic, you know, we’ve just got to continue to work and see where it leads us.” 

No reason to panic…. He knows this season is over that’s why. He knows whether he coaches next year or not he is getting the money. 

7 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Is Mike’s solution to all of this really just work harder? Sounds like a guy with zero idea on how to actually turn this around 

Ironic from a guy who can't remember a 5-star recruit's name, doesn't get out recruiting nearly as much as he should and hasn't solved the free throw shooting problem... his work ethic is seriously questionable, IMO.

14 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

in no particular order 

1. Jay Wright - long shot but hope money talks, we have to put out the feeler.  Would be a king here

2. Brad Stephens - just to see if anything has changed, probably not as he’s in higher spot with Celtics

3. Nate Oates - Does he want the challenge, seems like the type

4. Mick Cronin - Does he miss the Midwest and would he bring excitement to the fan base

5. Mike White - Currently at Georgia, had some success at Florida

I mean, where's Bill Self?  I'd put him at the top.

I saw someone throw out TJ otzelberger a while ago so i decided to look more into it and im intrigued and he feels gettable. He had top 30 kenpom teams his first two years at Iowa st but that was on the back of top 10 defenses. This year his offense has taken a big leap (kenpom 43) along with a top 5 defense and if that’s sustainable hes exactly what we need. Top 10 recruiting class at Iowa st last year. Only makes 2.5 million and is from Milwaukee. He’s leading the best conference in America this year.

6 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

On the injuries and Xavier Johnson missing time: "It's a big part of it. People don't want to hear it. The media probably don't want to hear it. But it is what it is, man. I don't think any team in college basketball come in with their starting point guard not playing and expecting that. But it happens. Injuries happen and you gotta overcome it. And as a coach it's my job to help overcome it even though I don't play. I don't shoot free throws and I don't shoot 3s, I gotta get them comfortable where they're doing that." #iubb

As a coach, it was your job to be prepared for the inevitable - Johnson's been hurt in many seasons of his career - not out of the question that he'd be hurt again this year... and he wasn't playing that well all season before the elbow injury.

How about you get your butt out of your office and go recruit a serviceable backup for Johnson.

Woodson was right about one thing: I don't want to hear it.

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

As a coach, it was your job to be prepared for the inevitable - Johnson's been hurt in many seasons of his career - not out of the question that he's be hurt again this year... and he wasn't playing that well all season before the elbow injury.

Ik its not the full season but when Posh went out for Butler they won @ Creighton. Matta recruited enough guards to endure the injury and adjusted to run his offense thru Telfort. Guard depth and adjustments, two things that we never get. 

Plus just cause X was hurt doesn't change the fact that he assembled a team with zero spacing and expects his slashing point guard to drive into 5 dudes every play. Yet he probably sees no problem with that.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Objectively there’s nothing Woodson could say that would satisfy the fanbase, but he’s picking the worst possible things. Stop. Making. Excuses. 

Yeah he seems to be trying extra hard lately (even more so than normal) to make it look like things aren’t his fault. Saying players were awful, it’s not him out there shooting free throws and shooting threes, etc. Just not a good look.