Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Purdue - Tuesday, 01.16.24 @ 7:00

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Top 10 team seriously? Just like some claimed this years team was going to be better than last years team and would be very dangerous come March. Ware isn't coming back and your post sounds like the mid summer hype we read about every single year.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Disagree? Then buzz off Friend

59 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

SIAP

image.png

This gets at what my major gripe is: stupid basketball. We don’t need to be a guard heavy all 3’s or layups mid major team. But for a team that features two highly touted post players, the above is a damning stat.

A lot of that comes down to one of my gripes about Woodson teams from early on: atrocious spacing. I always thought Kopp could have gotten another 3 or two with better spacing. Galloway is the only guy I’ve seen improve in that regard and while he’s upped his 3 attempts he can’t make them now. As a team we have to turn 3-4 would-be 3pt attempts a game into crappy long 2’s.  Our post entries into reneau are often a mess in this regard and then we blame him for not being good out of a double team but we do not make it easy on him.  

Fundamentally it is just dumb basketball. It always was, but with today’s analytics making it abundantly clear, there isn’t much of an excuse for dang near leading the nation in terrible shots in which you average .5 (!!) ppp. 

I understand the thought process in the portal era behind us being able to put something together next year. However at this point I am going to be in "believe it when I see it" mode for all future players and coaches until there is a culture in place that I am not going to worry every time I turn on the tv or step into the arena about what we are going to see or if we are going to play hard, tough basketball.

This isn't a woody specific issue it has been going on for a long time now. The culture of this program is soft and overhyped that is the only thing you know you are going to get year in and year out. Blowout losses and "we have a lot of talent on paper we are going to be good this year" are the only guarantees and that needs to change no matter how you have to or who does it.

1 hour ago, Artie86 said:

I definitely did not sleep well. I tossed and turned all night. I'm a HS teacher in southern Indiana and we got our second 2 hour delay in a row. You would think I could have used the extra hour or so, but I just could get that awful game out of my mind.

I didn’t either.  I have gotten used to this happening year in and year out.  We used to be the team that is ranked in the top 10 on a yearly basis like Turdue but that ship has sailed.  Turdue and Kensucky are the only two teams that I lose sleep after we lose, and last night that bitter pill was not a sleeping pill.  What gets me, is this team should be much better than it is because they have two 5 star players and one fringe 5 star player, plus we have experienced guard but yet those guards show poor leadership and consistency and one is a severe headcase.  That’s a bitter, non-sleeping, pill to swallow.

On another note, who in the heck is in charge of guard development and character.  It isn’t CMW that’s for sure 

13 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

I think you are a bit delusional imo

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Listen Tapatalk I may look delusional now, but if IU wins the next two games (or makes tourney) then you would be exactly what you're calling me. I know it's hard, but you can find some positive in a bad situation. The guy is making million$ so I'm just going to trust him and support him for another year. Truth be told, we lost JHS Kopp Race TJD. There are concerns and things that have went worse than I'd hoped, but still time to turn it around. Not everything goes as planned in organizations, campaigns, or missions. IU IS a very young team that has the ability to bring back 4 starters - if we do then we will be very good. This year's arc seems to parallel UNC's last year (1-9 Q1 games, 20-13 overall) - hopeful to pick up a few key wins and sneak into the tournament. Hate on me all you want for wanting, hoping, and wishing my favorite team has a good rest of the season and great year next year (Look at UNC!) 

1 minute ago, realTomCrean said:

Listen Tapatalk I may look delusional now, but if IU wins the next two games (or makes tourney) then you would be exactly what you're calling me. I know it's hard, but you can find some positive in a bad situation. The guy is making million$ so I'm just going to trust him and support him. Not everything goes as planned in organizations, campaigns, or missions. Nothing to say next year can't be great. We are a very young team that has the ability to bring back 4 starters - if we do then we will be very good

You are entitled to your dreams... but remember, the best predictor of future behavior is past relevant behavior. Don't believe the hype and stop drinking the kool-aid.

Worst home loss to Purdue since 1934. WOW, that says a lot to me.

How many times are we going to bench guys with 2 fouls in the first half and they end up with no close to 5 fouls? MM ended with 2, Ware with 3. Cost us way too much in the first half. That was the game. 

The play with Purdue up 20, a loose ball, Edey diving on the floor, and Ware trying to pick it up is the difference between IU & Purdue these days.

Purdue will get to the tournament, have the officials call the game the correct way, and lose. Big Ten does no favors by babying them. Edey should have had two fouls within the first 5 minutes of the game. 

We have to turn this roster over for next season. I expect us to bring in two portal guards, one PG, and one shooting. One HS PG, plus McNeely and most likely Queen. But do not tell the portal guys how much you will pay them until you get them on campus. We don't want a Dalton Kneght scenario to play out again. I think we will lose a lot of players to the portal. 

Lots of boosters are not happy, Mike Woodson is not happy, we'll see if there is a negotiated price to be reached at the end of the season. I have heard talks but nothing concrete.

Trilly said on his pay site that the worst-kept secret in CBB is that Dusty May wants to IU job badly. We'll see what happens there. 

That was the most unenjoyable game I have watched in a long time. 

Lots of talk of our so-called leaders enjoying the nightlife a little too much. This went on during the Knight days but at least we won back then. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

How many times are we going to bench guys with 2 fouls in the first half and they end up with no close to 5 fouls? MM ended with 2, Ware with 3. Cost us way too much in the first half. That was the game. 

The play with Purdue up 20, a loose ball, Edey diving on the floor, and Ware trying to pick it up is the difference between IU & Purdue these days.

Purdue will get to the tournament, have the officials call the game the correct way, and lose. Big Ten does no favors by babying them. Edey should have had two fouls within the first 5 minutes of the game. 

We have to turn this roster over for next season. I expect us to bring in two portal guards, one PG, and one shooting. One HS PG, plus McNeely and most likely Queen. But do not tell the portal guys how much you will pay them until you get them on campus. We don't want a Dalton Kneght scenario to play out again. I think we will lose a lot of players to the portal. 

Lots of boosters are not happy, Mike Woodson is not happy, we'll see if there is a negotiated price to be reached at the end of the season. I have heard talks but nothing concrete.

Trilly said on his pay site that the worst-kept secret in CBB is that Dusty May wants to IU job badly. We'll see what happens there. 

Lots of talk of our so-called leaders enjoying the nightlife a little too much. This went on during the Knight days but at least we won back then. 

Reminds me of when I was a student and saw Deron Davis at the bars the night before a game. Next day we get down 17-0 at home to Michigan before the first media timeout lol.

7 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Agreed, this isn’t hard to see IF those guys are open to idea of staying another year. None of us know that.  But if they are, this isn’t hard to see where the “foundation” is to build from. 

now, none of the, “I told you so” crowd will want to hear it and not willing to discuss anything beyond getting Woody out fast. Thought we had a rant thread for that? 

If you don’t believe this would happen or work, ok. If you only want Woody out, there is a thread for that and not sure how many times you can say the same thing over and over.

My biggest, by far concern. Way too many seem to think Dusty is the answer. At some point, this fanbase has to ask itself, Crean wasn’t some mess when he came, Archie should have worked way better, Woody now sucks too I guess…. Doesn’t seem like anyone can be successful.  Maybe this is little harder than some think. So you take another flyer on a guy like Dusty? Very bad idea.

I see people all the time say, it has been 20+ years. Is it too much to ask to just make the tourney etc? Again, maybe the combo of things make this job A LOT harder than it seems on paper. Getting a IU guy didn’t work either like many claimed. Wrong one, sure.  But it shouldn’t but this hard, NIL, great facilities (fyi, neither as good as fans believe), etc. It has proven to be very, very hard. So you really need to think, do you take another flyer? 

I don’t think you do it until you have a guaranteed locked up 100% solution. One you are very confident will win without a doubt. Those names are slim but with enough searching, there has to be one.  Honestly, I would rather give another guy like Shaka a chance than a guy who was one shot away from not even making that run and losing to crap teams all year this year. 

So, if you don’t think running this one more year is an option, who bedside Dusty or Beard? Shrews isn’t showing much either for all the love. Who is someone with more track record? 

Agree.  Dusty could be a grand slam.  Could be another Archie.  Do we want to take that chance?

Pearl has the personality and the skill set to kill it here.  As would Beard.  Might be better to take the sure thing vs the risky hire who happens to be a lot younger.

11 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

So, if you don’t think running this one more year is an option, who bedside Dusty or Beard? Shrews isn’t showing much either for all the love. Who is someone with more track record? 

Kelvin Sampson, Scott Drew, Bruce Pearl. Offer them a $10M a year contract.

People wanting Pearl (I wanted him when we hired Archie) and Beard need to give that up. With Beard, he didn't get/take job last time around and I don't think him being accused of domestic abuse is going to help his case. Pearl is someone we've not pursued before so I doubt we were just waiting for his twilight years. IMO the 5 coaches that should not even be thought of as possible are: Stevens, Pearl, Beard, Donovan and Pitino. There are many others but these always seem to come up here.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

People wanting Pearl (I wanted him when we hired Archie) and Beard need to give that up. With Beard, he didn't get/take job last time around and I don't think him being accused of domestic abuse is going to help his case. Pearl is someone we've not pursued before so I doubt we were just waiting for his twilight years. IMO the 5 coaches that should not even be thought of as possible are: Stevens, Pearl, Beard, Donovan and Pitino. There are many others but these always seem to come up here.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What about taking a different approach and hiring Tom Crean as an OC :-)

36 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Nah woodson will be back and Louiseville will hire May. That is just the IU way! But like you said there will be lots of players leaving for the portal and I could see us will like 8 or 9 open spots.  I get the feeling the idea of the IU job was alot more appealing to Woodson then the actual job itself is. Does not seem he lives and dies the job like you need to. 

2 minutes ago, recker222000 said:

Nah woodson will be back and Louiseville will hire May. That is just the IU way! But like you said there will be lots of players leaving for the portal and I could see us will like 8 or 9 open spots. 

Woodson will be back 100% if he wants to be. He's not getting fired for one bad season. He will have to explain how it will change for next season but won't be fired. Now as I have said he might decide to resign or negotiate a buyout

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Woodson will be back 100% if he wants to be. He's not getting fired for one bad season. He will have to explain how it will change for next season but won't be fired. Now as I have said he might decide to resign or negotiate a buyout

Oh I know he will not be fired now or probably ever. That was why if you are going to hire a former player you better darn make sure they are going to be a good coach. Woodson will be here as long as he wants he has quinn and all the old guard on his side and that will not change. He will have to leave on his own or we are stuck with him for years to come. 

I am not really sure what he would change though he has a 40 year NBA mentality and I highly doubt he would change a thing he is doing now. Coached are very stubborn.