Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Purdue - Tuesday, 01.16.24 @ 7:00

13 minutes ago, recker222000 said:

Trilly said on his pay site that the worst-kept secret in CBB is that Dusty May wants to IU job badly. We'll see what happens there. 

Nah woodson will be back and Louiseville will hire May. That is just the IU way! But like you said there will be lots of players leaving for the portal and I could see us will like 8 or 9 open spots.  I get the feeling the idea of the IU job was alot more appealing to Woodson then the actual job itself is. Does not seem he lives and dies the job like you need to. 

Woodson will be back but he may have a whole new team again and he ain’t good at roster construction and development with new players.  He’s decent at development one he’s had them a year.

1 hour ago, realTomCrean said:

So, what's your advice for me as a fan? Quit watching, talk out my rear about stuff that I am not an expert at, or spew hatred on X/BtownBanners about how gloomy and awful everything is? I've tried #3 and personally I don't enjoy it - so I've taken the stance that a few bounces go our way and an embarrassing loss at home can motivate the team/staff to go on a run (just as they did last year). It just really irks me that because I'm not spouting out negatives I've been called delusional for simply stating that next year can be a great year - as if you and Tapatalk are the arbiters of future successes/failures. You are not entitled to tell me, or anyone, what to believe or not to believe. That's audacious and out of line, hope that's an isolated incident and not normal for you (I haven't seen you do it before) Obviously, I see the problems with IUBB and have stated them multiple times, but I am choosing to take a different path toward voicing my thoughts. There is no rule saying IU can't get a few good wins and make the tourney, though it isn't likely - but man I'm just hoping and there is nothing wrong with that.

Dial it back a bit there Tommy boy.

You are entitled to believe whatever you need to believe to get through the day. So is everyone else here... I merely stated that we've all seen this movie way too many times... and we all know how it ends... 

We have a head case for a co-captain and our point guard. We have an arrogant and stubborn head coach whose staff is either "yes men" or completely ignored... and no real offensive or defensive schemes... within those parameters, I don't see much changing... but, like I said do what you must to get through the day.

1 hour ago, recker222000 said:

Trilly said on his pay site that the worst-kept secret in CBB is that Dusty May wants to IU job badly. We'll see what happens there. 

Nah woodson will be back and Louiseville will hire May. That is just the IU way! But like you said there will be lots of players leaving for the portal and I could see us will like 8 or 9 open spots.  I get the feeling the idea of the IU job was alot more appealing to Woodson then the actual job itself is. Does not seem he lives and dies the job like you need to. 

He’s just old, and not a high energy old guy. If we had hired him a decade earlier maybe things would’ve been different. But he’s nearly 66 years old and doesn’t have the motor anymore, imo. 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He’s just old, and not a high energy old guy. If we had hired him a decade earlier maybe things would’ve been different. But he’s nearly 66 years old and doesn’t have the motor anymore, imo. 

I think you are correct I think the idea of the IU job sounded great to Woodson but the drive and 24/7 mentality you need for this job he simply does not have imo. If they wanted to  do the Woodson experiment it should have been tried 15 years ago not when he is 65. The coaches who still have success later on like coach K have very capable assistants who run alot of stuff for them. Woodson has three recruiters as assistants. 

4 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yep. It’d be one thing if we had a loaded class coming in or if Woodson has shown that he’s a wizard in the portal. Instead, we’re a bad team with one recruit signed. A very good recruit, certainly, but he’s one guy. Woodson has largely flopped in the portal. There’s little reason to think next year will be better short of blind hope. 

Not sure I’d say flopped but the portal is a hole filler, not a program builder.  We have way too many holes to fill right now to make the portal work.  

22 minutes ago, recker222000 said:

I think you are correct I think the idea of the IU job sounded great to Woodson but the drive and 24/7 mentality you need for this job he simply does not have imo. If they wanted to  do the Woodson experiment it should have been tried 15 years ago not when he is 65. The coaches who still have success later on like coach K have very capable assistants who run alot of stuff for them. Woodson has three recruiters as assistants. 

Well they ain’t doing so good at recruiting either. :)

22 minutes ago, recker222000 said:

And even then, he doesn't listen to their suggestions or ideas.

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Not sure I’d say flopped but the portal is a hole filler, not a program builder.  We have way too many holes to fill right now to make the portal work.  

That was exactly what happened this past year too!

Correct Woodson will need to likely find 5-8 guys this spring. That is one heck of alot of holes.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Correct Woodson will need to likely find 5-8 guys this spring. That is one heck of alot of holes.

It's what happens when you don't have a base of incoming HS players.  We should have that base at this point, but we don't.  Not even freaking close.  It's a program killer that needs to be fixed immediately.  

10 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

You have said this a lot. Trying to understand your thoughts process. Genuinely.

We have seen the Miss St. Nebraska type schools go pickup massive chunks and it work pretty well. Lots of others where 50% of the roster is new. Multiple programs have flipped everything. 

Also, if Malik, CJ/Trey/Sparks/Cupps (bench depth), plus MM and maybe Ware are back, that is a core to build with. Add McNeely and Queen. Your portal needs become guard, guard, guard. 

Maybe I am the only crazy one who thinks it is really possible we get MM and maybe Ware back now. He has improved greatly, he is giving effort but needs strength. The TJD and Jaquez types doing so well combined with NIL may have a real story to tell on why staying until ready starts to make sense for NBA GMs and the player.

Is it just that you see no way any of them come back? 

Before TJD returning as a Jr, and to your point Jaquez at UCLA, I'd say no chance. In current day NIL making a hefty sum of $, being the man w/ national notoriety, and improving draft position from late 1st/2nd rd to mid-early 1st is a viable option. I believe we get the entire front court back (assumption based only) and if that does happen IUBB next year has elite level talent up front w/ experience and age. Regardless of who does or doesn't come back, the portal needs for IU has to sit at "guard, guard, guard" - - - 

Remaining home games: Iowa, Penn St, Northwestern, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan St

Remaining away games: Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio St, Purdue, Penn St, Maryland, Minnesota

Need 8 wins out of the next 13 games 

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

I am just confused when you said you were out and never watching IU again if X played at all. 

So, I am not allowed to have an opinion about that bone-head getting another flagrant foul? Nice...

From reading the recaps here, it only strengthens my opinion of X... 

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

So, I am not allowed to have an opinion about that bone-head getting another flagrant foul? Nice...

From reading the recaps here, it only strengthens my opinion of X... 

Everyone knows your opinion about Xavier Johnson bro. You've been saying it for days at every opportunity you can find. Lmao. You can have your opinion about X. I know sports talk especially on fan forums tends to be repetitive to an extent, but Lordy Lou. Disliking X is one thing (as I've said, not his biggest fan). The way some people love basking in their hatred of him is off-putting. 

Just now, Home Jersey said:

Everyone knows your opinion about Xavier Johnson bro. You've been saying it for days at every opportunity you can find. Lmao 

You can have your opinion about X. I know sports talk especially on fan forums tends to be repetitive to an extend, but Lordy Lou. 

Disliking X is one thing (as I've said, not his biggest fan). The way some people love basking in their hatred of him is off-putting. 

Yeah being frustrated with him as a basketball player is one thing, but harboring personal anger towards a 24 year old you have no real relationship with and don't know personally at all is unnecessary. He is clearly in his own head right now and the fact that this fanbase has decided to pile on him rather than either pick him up or keep it to yourself is a sad thing we should be better than that.

35 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

You have said this a lot. Trying to understand your thoughts process. Genuinely.

We have seen the Miss St. Nebraska type schools go pickup massive chunks and it work pretty well. Lots of others where 50% of the roster is new. Multiple programs have flipped everything. 

Also, if Malik, CJ/Trey/Sparks/Cupps (bench depth), plus MM and maybe Ware are back, that is a core to build with. Add McNeely and Queen. Your portal needs become guard, guard, guard. 

Maybe I am the only crazy one who thinks it is really possible we get MM and maybe Ware back now. He has improved greatly, he is giving effort but needs strength. The TJD and Jaquez types doing so well combined with NIL may have a real story to tell on why staying until ready starts to make sense for NBA GMs and the player.

I actually see all of them coming back.  I think Ware's draft prospects will drop as we work thru the Big10 and he's getting bounced around a bit -- he needs more a$$.  But you still have several spots to fill -- X, Leal and Walker graduate, plus an open, plus if Gunn/Banks transfer, less one signee = 4-5 spots to fill.  

As for the portal, it's a philosophical thing.  If history is any guide (using pro sports), you build from the draft and add via free agency.  Sure you can spend a lot of money for a few years, maybe win a championship, but then it blows up and you have to start over.  It's not viable for long term success, IMO.  Even the great Coach Cig said so. :)  

Some of you sure seem confident we are getting Queen. Chances of ware coming back are pretty low in my opinion. Tons of what it's but my guess is we have a minimum of five open slots this spring and up to eight open.

Just now, Hornsby said:

Some of you sure seem confident we are getting Queen. Chances of ware coming back are pretty low in my opinion. Tons of what it's but my guess is we have a minimum of five open slots this spring and up to eight open.

Getting Queen would be cool and all because he's a 5 star and a really good player, but it doesn't really fix any of our issues. Him not coming would not upset me at all because maybe that would force us to play real basketball. However, if him not coming turned into Sparks being a starter, I will stick my head in the microwave.

24 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

Getting Queen would be cool and all because he's a 5 star and a really good player, but it doesn't really fix any of our issues. Him not coming would not upset me at all because maybe that would force us to play real basketball. However, if him not coming turned into Sparks being a starter, I will stick my head in the microwave.

You may as well start now, because if Queen doesn’t come, the only one left is Sparks, but there is always the Portal 

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

No it isn’t. Combo of betting on wrong guys, players not wanting to transfer into competition and the staff not understanding how to work the portal (see Chris note) was the issue. Not that you can’t fill 5+ players.  It wasn’t that we had too many holes to fill and that you can’t do it. 

You can’t tell me that filling the holes at Center, Forward and SG positions weren’t filled or tried to be filled from the portal.  We got Ware, Sparks and Walker to replace TJD, Race and Kopp but we struck out landing a SG.  I would say it is!