Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs North Alabama - Thursday, 12.21.23 @ 8:30 on BTN

I’m watching on delay…don’t tell LCS, but I’m about ready to join the Leal over Gunn bandwagon. 

Gunn needs to go re-watch his defensive tape from the Michigan game, and just make that his focus. I think the sample size is big enough now, he’s not a shooter. But He’s also suddenly getting beat immediately off 1 dribble…no bueno. 

Banks looking a lot like Geronimo 2.0. If his basketball skills could catch up to his athleticism, he’d he tough. Right now he can’t guard without fouling, and needs to be a slashing guy only on offense. 

Reneau is going to make a lot of money playing basketball somewhere. 

Keep the splash brother vibes going the rest of the season and that will help tremendously 

Reneau was awesome.

Positives. Ball movement was so much better. We shot 3s. We looked for back door cuts. Looked for lobs. Gallo as a PG. Mgbakos shot always looks like it’s going in but he still misses a lot.

Negatives. Rebounding. Dribble drive containment. Gunn mostly. Speaks mostly besides his hustle which in special. Cupps shooting. Gallo from the stripe.

Enjoyable game overall. Go Hoosiers.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I AM WORRIED!
There are about five posters that were extremely active in the Morehead, Auburn, and Kansas threads that were nowhere to be found tonight.
I hope they’re okay!
Bowling but watching if I am one. If I wasn't sorry

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Reneau was awesome.

Positives. Ball movement was so much better. We shot 3s. We looked for back door cuts. Looked for lobs. Gallo as a PG. Mgbakos shot always looks like it’s going in but he still misses a lot.

Negatives. Rebounding. Dribble drive containment. Gunn mostly. Speaks mostly besides his hustle which in special. Cupps shooting. Gallo from the stripe.

Enjoyable game overall. Go Hoosiers.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
Only real concern was first half rebounding. I haven't looked at numbers but from the eye test we weren't getting 50 50 balls because we were getting out worked. Glad to see the three go down and hopefully we continue to do so

On 12/19/2023 at 10:02 PM, Gnet550 said:

I’m going…taking my boys ages 5 and 9, and my wife to their second game ever…hopefully they’ll bring them luck…if so you all can rally up some NIL money to get me tickets to home games for the rest of the year…

Well get the NIL tied up for me boys…we go and they hit 12 triples!!! And win comfortably 

I am happy we won comfortably and looked good generally. Stuhoo's comment about having a solid 7 is spot on, I just really wish we could count on one of Gunn or Banks and go 8 deep. But we are who we are. In meaningful games (mostly, from here on out) I'd like them to play mainly spot minutes in hyper focused roles unless there's foul trouble. 

I am concerned about Ware in the B10. The doubles and physicality have really bothered him last few times out scoring wise. B10 teams probably won't need to double as much but I hope we're working on how to help him stay comfortable come football...I mean conference... season. 

Malik had a career day. Won't always go 4/4 from 3 but the fact we doubled our previous season high hopefully shows that we've got the ability to make shots outside the paint and game planning us becomes less obvious/all about clogging the paint and junking stuff up. We gave up a ton of open looks that good teams will knock down. 

We get X back healthy and I think we can finish top 4 in the conference. For next year... hope we're already "re-recruiting" Mack because if we do and add 2 solid guards, we could be really good. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the year! This team can definitely surprise people 

7 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Bowling but watching if I am one. If I wasn't sorry

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Coach Cig said we'd be bowling in 2024 not in 2023.  Pay attention young man.

That was a very enjoyable game to attend in person. First time we’ve played modern basketball all year. 24 threes!!!

I will say, CJ I think it’s time to learn transfer portal.

also when sparks hit the floor in the second half I thought there was going to be a hulk sized crater in the ground.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just really hope we keep playing offense the way we have the last few games. 

The offense is much different the last few games and I pray that it stays. While we're still playing two bigs together largely, we're not just dumping into two bigs on the block while everyone stands around. 

We're running more chin action, horns action, Galloway curling on pin down DHO's, etc., etc. 

We're playing with more pace and space and using Galloway as the engine instead of running everything through bigs on the block. 

I don't expect us to shoot that well again from deep, but it wasn't just luck. Many of us that have been calling for more 3's have also been calling for a different offensive system that would create more rhythm 3's, and last night, and really the last couple of games we've seen that. 

We need to be using our bigs in DHO's, ball screens, etc., to get guys like Galloway and XJ (when he gets back), and even guys like Cupps and Walker going downhill. 

Our guards still aren't super great, but we need to play with pace and space, and it just creates more action for everyone, including the bigs. 

No question that there has been a conscious effort to run the offense through Gallo.

Soon hopefully we will be running the offense through Gallo and X.

Interesting thing about having fives guys who can take and hit a few 3’s at any given time is that you can manufacture a bit of a 3pt threat even if most of them aren’t very good shooters.  A lot of B1G coaches may not want to pack the paint and leave Reneau open on the off chance he goes 2-4 against them. Giving up 6 free points in a conf game can be the difference sometimes. 

I’m not convinced Reneau or even Cupps will hit many more this season, but if they do it could really aid Ware and Galloways new found penchant for driving to the hoop.  

We’re not going to suddenly turn into a team that makes lots of threes, but having a credible threat to do so is something, at least. 

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No question that there has been a conscious effort to run the offense through Gallo.

Soon hopefully we will be running the offense through Gallo and X.

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. With the actions IU has been running the ladt few games, Galloway has almost reminded me of XJ when he went on that run the end of the season in his first year here. 

If we can keep running this stuff for Galloway and get XJ back healthy and have them both running this stuff, then we may have a pretty good team here. 

I know XJ wasn't playing great early before his injury, but remember Galloway wasn't playing great either, and that was when the offense was essentially dump it to the post with 2 bigs down there and everyone stand around and watch. 

We could have a pretty good team with Galloway and XJ the head of the snake so to speak, running DHO's, ball screen actions with Ware, and creating space for Galloway and XJ to play with pace and space. 

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just really hope we keep playing offense the way we have the last few games. 

The offense is much different the last few games and I pray that it stays. While we're still playing two bigs together largely, we're not just dumping into two bigs on the block while everyone stands around. 

We're running more chin action, horns action, Galloway curling on pin down DHO's, etc., etc. 

We're playing with more pace and space and using Galloway as the engine instead of running everything through bigs on the block. 

I don't expect us to shoot that well again from deep, but it wasn't just luck. Many of us that have been calling for more 3's have also been calling for a different offensive system that would create more rhythm 3's, and last night, and really the last couple of games we've seen that. 

We need to be using our bigs in DHO's, ball screens, etc., to get guys like Galloway and XJ (when he gets back), and even guys like Cupps and Walker going downhill. 

Our guards still aren't super great, but we need to play with pace and space, and it just creates more action for everyone, including the bigs. 

Exactly what I've been waiting to see, and look how it opened up our perimeter game. The idea that we could compete well by playing old school dump it into the post hopefully is dead. There should and will be games where we emphasize our talented bigs, but the balance is so much better with the actions we ran, the spacing, Gallo heavily involved in initating the O, Malik working outside as well, the potential for what that will do for Ware in other games, X's added shooting and speed. Bako integrated better.

We're still so thin at guard/wing but this game showed how we can use actions and outside shooting to create space across the floor. This is basketball.

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Exactly what I've been waiting to see, and look how it opened up our perimeter game. The idea that we could compete well by playing old school dump it into the post hopefully is dead. There should and will be games where we emphasize our talented bigs, but the balance is so much better with the actions we ran, the spacing, Gallo heavily involved in initating the O, Malik working outside as well, the potential for what that will do for Ware in other games, X's added shooting and speed. Bako integrated better.

We're still so thin at guard/wing but this game showed how we can use actions and outside shooting to create space across the floor. This is basketball.

Absolutely! Love it and really, really hoping it stays.