Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Army - Sunday, 11.12.23 @ 7:00 on BTN

7 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I didn’t think MR played as badly as some have said.  

CMW has to move on from that starting 5.  MR and MM can’t play together.  

This is about winning games.  Stars don’t mean jack.  

I’m not sure how much MM should be playing at all.  Go back and watch the film and watch how MM was moving and playing defensively and watch how Banks was was playing in his (too few) minutes.  It won’t show up in the box score but there is a big difference.  Tell me who the 5 star is.  I said it in the first game thread and it was an unpopular opinion but I will say it again.  MM needs to sit.  Banks needs to start for MM next game.  For those that will argue MM needs to play above MR that’s just a HARD no.

Gunn has some real potential on the defensive end but is a loose cannon on offense.  Unfortunately, we don’t really have any alternatives.

Starters - X, Gallo, Banks, MR, and Ware.

Bench - Cupps, Sparks, Gunn, Walker, MM.  Sparks being first big off the bench.

I don’t think this will happen.  I think the staff will play to MM’s stars or whatever and we will be worse for it.

Don’t disagree with most of this, definitely frustrated through two games like most. 

Two quick-hitters though:

- Woody has proven through three seasons to have a steadfast commitment to his beginning of season starters. (Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp anyone?)

- As long as you’re going to continue to recruit five stars, you just cannot bench a kid who decommitted from Duke and chose your program over Kansas. Slow start, you betcha, but MM has to be in the squad if for nothing else for esthetics. I personally think he finds his role and voice on the team by the turn of the year and shows out as our best scoring option by big ten play. 

What is perplexing to me is Galloway’s game. Where was he? What did he do? I saw no impact on the floor. That’s a “red-shirt” senior who is supposed to have taken a huge leap with no real impact on the game’s outcome. That and the lack of communication is what bothers me. The leaders have to lead. 

10 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

You've not been shy about your opinion on Mack lol. I agree he has been disappointing through the first couple of games. His defense just makes it a non-starter for him to play major minutes at this point. That said... 

1) He can improve on that and likely will as the season goes on 

2) Him being able to score is a huge difference maker in our team's potential 

3) When he is playing, he should play as a 4 and I bet his offense would also be a lot better in that than the Kopp type of role. 

I agree Banks should start over Mack as a 3 at this point based on merits, but not sure we'll see it. I do think Mack could be utilized more effectively on offense. But at this point it's not enough to make up for his gaps on the defensive side. 

I think #1 and #2 are major question marks.  His movement/quickness and awareness are not good at all.  It’s possible that will get better.  It’s also possible that it might not and this is who he is.

I agree with #3.  That’s where the problem is though.  When he is playing it should be at the 4.  Where I probably disagree with you is him playing at the 4 should not be at the expense of MR’s minutes.  Also, Peyton Sparks needs to play.  I’m a believer.  So that leaves MM’s minutes…..

1 minute ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Don’t disagree with most of this, definitely frustrated through two games like most. 

Two quick-hitters though:

- Woody has proven through three seasons to have a steadfast commitment to his beginning of season starters. (Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp anyone?)

- As long as you’re going to continue to recruit five stars, you just cannot bench a kid who decommitted from Duke and chose your program over Kansas. Slow start, you betcha, but MM has to be in the squad if for nothing else for esthetics. I personally think he finds his role and voice on the team by the turn of the year and shows out as our best scoring option by big ten play. 

I agree with what you said, and that’s the predicament. If you want to recruit 5-stars and late de-commits, as IU has shown they can do and will have to do in ‘24, he cannot sit. He has to make strides as soon as possible. 

1420845629_ScreenShot2023-11-12at9_41_48PM.thumb.png.5620df2b689d5bba48e73fe73aece975.png
Looking at the shooting splits somehow makes this feel even worse 

1. The hockey sub MUST STOP. It’s never the answer. Let some guys get into a flow.

2. Offensive strategy to not find 3s and use our size to offensive rebound seriously limits our potential. We are gonna have to grind out games and WE WILL GET BLOWN OUT. We will not be able to match teams that can score.

3. These guys aren’t having fun. No rhythm on O. Terrible cohesiveness and communication on D. The guys look confused. Simplify the plan.

4. We don’t get out and run enough. Too much willingness to play half court for a team that doesn’t excel in the half court.

Depressing start to the season for team, fans, and coaches.

Yet we are 2-0 for now. Keeping hope alive for a bit to get it figured out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Home Jersey said:

Mike said Malik has done an adequate job defending the perimeter.

I can agree with that.  He hasn’t been great but he has made some plays.  He made a handful of good defensive plays tonight.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I give Woody the credit for the win and the blame for a near loss.

Dude, fix your perimeter defense!  Find a lineup that works.  Fix the perimeter defense.  Fix Mgbako.  And improve your perimeter defense 

I think you forgot about the perimeter defense.

Watched this one on delay due to football. Man what a rough game. I'm starting to get really worried with this team. 

1) Woodson's rotations are becoming extremely questionable. I get he is trying things out. But it wasn't working tonight. Think it was 11-11 when the entire second unit came in. Army went on an 8-0 run and that gave them confidence. That can't happen anymore. 

2) Listening to Assembly Call...they reported X said practice effort has not been great. That HAS to change. 

3) I am probably saying what most of you are already saying..Mackenzie Mgbako has to get involved. Right now it's looking like either he isn't a fit or he isn't comfortable. Or both. I give him credit he isn't pouting at all. But they have to get something out of him for many reasons. This is an NIT team if he doesn't live up to expectations somewhat. Also, would be used against Woodson. 

4) I feel bad for picking on him, but CJ Gunn isn't doing anything to show he deserves any minutes right now. It is starting to look more and more like this staff failed on getting another guard in the portal. 

5) Galloway...he can't be too Jekyll and Hyde with scoring. Scores 16 the other night, 5 tonight. 

What is really upsetting is I expected a better effort tonight. Instead, they took a step back. I get they won, but it feels like a loss. I trust the staff to figure this out. Just lots of negatives right now. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I appreciated X’s press conference comments. In his key takeaway he told the truth:

The reason the effort is lacking in games is because the effort during practice/preparation has not been what it should be.

I appreciate that honesty, and it’s very concerning.