Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Mgbako Arrested, Paying Small Fine for Misdemeanor

38 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Look, I know it's en vogue to do the whole "TACO BELL POOPY TIME" thing, but I've never once had any bowel issues from Taco Bell. And my experience should matter, as I am a high-ranking rewards member. Can't say the same for Jimmy John's, McDonald's or the local Mexican joint.

All that to say: everyone back off of my favorite dining establishment.

Taco Bell GIF - Yo Quiero Taco Bell Dog - Discover & Share GIFs

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This part is funny but not funny but my wife (who is black) has me make all of our returns because of the exact scenario. She usually gets sorry we don't do returns, then I walk in and they return it no questions asked, or without a receipt. 

I could name many examples of things but I won't. I never saw it for years until I got married. 

Anyone who doesn't think this kind of stuff happens all the time is just in denial: "Don't tell me about it, because I don't want to believe it." 

13 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Prove innocence? 

Taco Bell asked him to leave their property which is well within their right. He didn't so they called the police. The police commanded him several times to leave the property to which he didn't in a timely manner. Unless you want to rewrite Indiana trespass laws, there's no proving innocence regardless of what started the initial confrontation. I'm not sure why that keeps getting lost on people?

Actually, if you're going to keep arguing the point, get the "facts" correct.  He was asked to leave the drive thru -- where he was apparently blocking their ability to conduct business.  He did.  He was then asked (apparently after discussion with TB employees) to leave the parking lot.  While he did not leave immediately, he eventually did.  But then returned to an adjacent parking lot (presumably to wait for his dad?).  They had zero right to arrest him for a TB trespass as he was no longer on their property.   

8 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Actually, if you're going to keep arguing the point, get the "facts" correct.  He was asked to leave the drive thru -- where he was apparently blocking their ability to conduct business.  He did.  He was then asked (apparently after discussion with TB employees) to leave the parking lot.  While he did not leave immediately, he eventually did.  But then returned to an adjacent parking lot (presumably to wait for his dad?).  They had zero right to arrest him for a TB trespass as he was no longer on their property.   

He was lawfully ordered off a property for 15 minutes and didn’t comply (that’s 14 minutes and 30 seconds too long I may add), that’s trespassing my dude. And still didn’t go home lol, he parked his car 100 feet from a place that just trespassed him. 

If stupidity was a crime he’d have gotten charged for that as well.

40 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Prove innocence? 

Taco Bell asked him to leave their property which is well within their right. He didn't so they called the police. The police commanded him several times to leave the property to which he didn't in a timely manner. Unless you want to rewrite Indiana trespass laws, there's no proving innocence regardless of what started the initial confrontation. I'm not sure why that keeps getting lost on people?

And  you have no absolute proof that your claims are 100% factual.    You claim they asked him to leave?  Did they?  Were you personally there?  They claim he cussed at them?  Did he?  Were you personally there?  You clearly have a personal vendetta against MM for some unknown reason but you've already worn out your welcome IMO.

Unfortunately not everyone has the same experience with police. Some would get out when the police asked without a second thought, others may hesitate without witnesses around. That part I can get.

Of course he could've left before it got to that point and there wouldn't have been an issue.

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

There's no other point to consider.

I would never, ever, allow myself to get into a situation where the police would be called over an argument at a fast food establishment. NEVER. EVER. Not at 18, not at 28, not even 78. Not sober, not high nor drunk. I must be built differently.

MM had several outs to walk away from this situation unscathed. He chose jail. Sad. Hopefully it's a learning experience all the way around. 

df2ac45b9db3c30bd7695101ad54768b9e682dbdf28fb486d12da13a991ea2c6_1.thumb.jpg.05697ae65a8cbc4184266e90fd1f19ce.jpg

One of the reasons we’re not a blue blood anymore. This would have never happened in the Knight era. This isn’t happening in Lexington or Chapel Hill
I don't believe athletes being above the law is an answer to being a blue blood.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, str8baller said:

Even assuming your version is true—the officers didn’t inform him, he drives away as they approach to inform him—if he just goes home the night ends. Worst case he maybe gets a ticket in the mail, which probably gets plead down to nothing or outright dropped in a couple months.  

Does it though?  They arrested him trespass after he left the property.  The police report did not say they informed that he was under arrest and I am sure that if they did, it would be in the report.  I'm not convinced if they had decided that they were going to arrest him but did not inform him that if he had left, they wouldn't have slapped a fleeing the scene charge.

4 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

I have no sympathy for people who fail to use common sense, especially in situations like these. 

Does common sense say to smash the window and arrest somebody for trespass after they have left the property?  Seems to me at that point the situation was deescalating. 

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

You 100% support something we probably all do. Difference is we can see a higher than not probability he was not being “unruly” and actual facts making your statement invalid. 

- you don’t have all the facts - you cannot dispute that. If you believe you do, that is willful ingnorace. You say we are playing out fake scenarios … yeah, because they are all valid possibilities and you have zero concern at all that other things may have occurred.  

This is so weird to me.  The only facts we have belong in the police report that was posted.  Everything else is speculation.  Like you saying there's a higher than not probability he was not being unruly?  Based upon what?  Pure speculation.

There were racial undertones here?  Based upon what?  Pure speculation.

Cops behaved badly?  Based upon what?  Pure speculation.

All we have here is the Police Report.  Based purely on the police report, Mgbako was in the wrong.  Everything else...everything...is speculation.  You're clearly doing that.

That's fine to speculate and create made up scenarios.  Just don't act shocked when others don't buy into your speculation.

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Yes, the context between him moving out of the drive through to having his window smashed in and being pulled out of the car, is what we are missing... Until we have body cam footage to prove beyond a reasonable doubt what happened, all we can definitively say is that Mack obviously upset the TB workers enough to call the cops and he had multiple opportunities to avoid this happening. 

The trespassing charge may very well have been justified. The resisting charge, based on the police report alone, smells fishy IMO. It's pretty clear who in this thread has, or hasn't, dealt much with cops on patrol. Things are not always so black and white and some people are better communicators than others. Keep in mind this is an 18 year old, Taco Bell workers, and cop(s).... all have a reputation for being the best and brightest society has to offer. 

He absolutely may have deserved the trespassing charge. He left the TB property and then was told he was going to be arrested for trespassing. Why? Was he actually off TB property - because if so, is it so hard to believe an 18 year old, still relatively new to town, was shaken after this interaction and pulled over somewhere to collect himself? Just went to the closest place he could find and that made the officers think he was being a smart a$$? Did he actually understand/process what was being asked of him?

If that's too much justification for some, fine, I'm just doing the same thing you're doing but from the opposite perspective. Not saying I think that's exactly what happened. Ya know, innocent until proven guilty and all that good stuff...... Even if he wasn't shaken and just pulled into a neighboring lot to get off TB property/continue the interaction with police, how long did they wait before damaging his property to arrest such a clear and imminent threat? Was he cussing at them or somehow provoking the cops? I think that would have been mentioned in the report... he "refused" to get out of the car. Was he actually refusing or just not quick enough to comply for their liking? "It takes :30 to obey an order" is a POV totally devoid of basic human empathy, the ability to put yourself in another person's shoes. Again, what happened after the drive through?

If they didn't want to wait around, they could have handed him a ticket and been on their way. They could've come and got him the next day at the IUBB facilities. They could have mailed it. They could have called a supervisor who told them take his info, write a report, then we'll figure out what to do. Keep in mind - this kid is not remotely a flight risk (nor was this incident violent until the window smash...). They could have called a supervisor who told them - f it, we don't have time to waste, smash his window and book him.... The point is...

We don't know, and we won't know, without body cam footage. Passing a moral judgement over him for getting p!ssy with TB workers, okay sure I guess... Calling him a thug or implying its totally his fault/that he somehow deserved the window smash (based on these "facts" alone) is silly... but I suppose that's the right of unserious, ignorant folks. 

Getting your window smashed in and being restrained/cuffed is a traumatizing experience. MM is an 18 year old black man from out of state with a lot to lose... if you can't fathom a situation (created by himself) escalating (through a combination of unclear communication/overzealous policing) then I hope you enjoy living under that rock of yours (not directed at you Golfman). To say there is "nothing else to consider" is laughably close-minded, but some are happier than others to accept a false reality where cops are ALWAYS the good guys and ALWAYS do a great job. Anything else = too hard to fathom. Whatever helps ya feel safer, I guess. 

Empathy is a dying virtue. 

11 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I don't believe athletes being above the law is an answer to being a blue blood.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I don't either, but I do have some questions in this particular case.  The Xavier Johnson driving incident......Johnson got off very, very light.  But in MM's case, I have questions as to how the events occurred -- even taking the police report 100%, I have questions about how it was handled considering MM left the property.  To me it sounds like they were pissed that MM finally complied but in a way that was being a smart @$$.  Seems to me it at that point it wasn't about defusing the situation, it was about not being shown up.

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

This is so weird to me.  The only facts we have belong in the police report that was posted.  Everything else is speculation.  Like you saying there's a higher than not probability he was not being unruly?  Based upon what?  Pure speculation.

There were racial undertones here?  Based upon what?  Pure speculation.

Cops behaved badly?  Based upon what?  Pure speculation.

All we have here is the Police Report.  Based purely on the police report, Mgbako was in the wrong.  Everything else...everything...is speculation.  You're clearly doing that.

That's fine to speculate and create made up scenarios.  Just don't act shocked when others don't buy into your speculation.

The one thing I have raised, though, I don't think is speculation, and that is that the report that the police decided to arrest Mgbako but he then moved his car to another lot.  Again, if they had informed him that he was being arrested that certainly would be in the report because it would make it unambiguous.  

Speculation would be that they decided to arrest him because they didn't like that he moved his car to another lot that was close by and felt he was being a smart @$$.  But that would be speculation.

59 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

And  you have no absolute proof that your claims are 100% factual.    You claim they asked him to leave?  Did they?  Were you personally there?  They claim he cussed at them?  Did he?  Were you personally there?  You clearly have a personal vendetta against MM for some unknown reason but you've already worn out your welcome IMO.

I’m going to base my judgements off an actual documented police report than some wild anonymous message board conspiracy theories involving racial undertones despite no evidence to suggest the contrary.

If you want to believe MM was sitting in his car minding his own business before being racially profile, do you. 

Edited by IndyResident16