Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Barrel Rick

Trent Sisley is an Outstanding Hoosier and (2025) SG - to UConn Thread

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I think you are reading into things way too much.  I think anyone who thought they were ever a package deal was off base.

I wrote what I meant, not what you are inferring.

I did not say "package deal." I wrote that Moreno moving away from IU opened Mullins' eyes to other options.

14 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Well time to say Next, maybe we get Reibe or Tiller. Strike out again there and we’re off to the races portaling after I hope a very successful season. 

A class of Tiller, Brown, and Sisley would be a helluva class on paper yet would still feel underwhelming given misses to Mullins and Haralson.

That being said, the days of putting all your chips in on high school recruits are long gone. Very real chance a portal player emerges and has a bigger impact than Haralson/Mullins in the 1-2 years they’re in school. Just the new nature of the game.

On 8/23/2024 at 2:40 PM, go iu bb said:

It's always fun watching recruiting and seeing the swings in fan reactions. It seems there is always 1 or 2 recruitments like this every year:

1) Recruit (usually from IN) that is coveted and IU starts to recruit him. Everyone feels good.

2) Poster goes on message boards and claims to have inside info. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Gives positive feedback on the recruitment. Everyone feels even better.

3) Later, poster claiming inside info says that it's pretty much a done deal, he's IU's to lose, he's given a silent verbal, or some variation of that. The board is ecstatic.

4) Time goes on without a commitment and he plans visits to other schools. Poster still posting he'll commit to IU messages. Board is happy but starting to feel a tiny bit antsy.

5) More time goes on without a commitment. Maybe he makes some visits. Inside info poster gives positive feedback but not quite as certain as before or goes silent. People start to really get antsy.

6) An article, crystal ball, or just comment from analyst that seems more favorable to another school than IU comes out. Anxiety is evident with some people saying he's gone other saying no way.

7) More time goes on without positive IU news, maybe something else positive for another school. The board blows up because all of a sudden IU is losing the recruit, has no chance, and people are ready to jump from a bridge since the sky is falling. Blame and excuses abound.

8) Happiness/sadness of the boards fluctuates as he continues to make visits without committing while articles, crystal balls guesses, analyst comments, and message board posts continue both in favor of IU and other schools. 

It seems we're at #6 with Mullins.

Meanwhile, here's me the whole time knowing how up and down it'll be:

eating popcorn.gif

I see we're at stage 8. Last week was positive IU on the board now the assumption is he's gone.

25 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

A class of Tiller, Brown, and Sisley would be a helluva class on paper yet would still feel underwhelming given misses to Mullins and Haralson.

That being said, the days of putting all your chips in on high school recruits are long gone. Very real chance a portal player emerges and has a bigger impact than Haralson/Mullins in the 1-2 years they’re in school. Just the new nature of the game.

A class of Mullins, Sisley and Grady would be excellent. I still believe in BR. 

In terms of roster construction, I hope we only need 5 total faces to get to 12 next year. Goode gets his 5th year, Reneau and the guards return and we only lose Mgbako and the Super-Seniors. We go to the portal for two bigs. If Reibe goes to Kansas I suspect Bidunga would be obtainable. 

I think our approach is changing, slowly with recruiting. 

4 minutes ago, mamasa said:

I truly hope that Barrell Rick does come back. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him letting us know, AT THAT TIME, the info that he had. Things change. 

I really hope that Barrel Rick's avatar is his drivers license picture. I'd feel better about my own. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I wrote what I meant, not what you are inferring.

I did not say "package deal." I wrote that Moreno moving away from IU opened Mullins' eyes to other options.

I just don't see it.  IMO we were never in the lead for Moreno and it's not like kids don't see players they have played with committing elsewhere.  If it were that, why were Mullins' eyes opened up to that and Sisley's not?

By and large, kids make decisions based on their own self interests, which they should.  If Mullins commits to U Conn (or Indiana), it's because he feels that is the best move for himself.

1 hour ago, BA47591 said:

A class of Mullins, Sisley and Grady would be excellent. I still believe in BR. 

In terms of roster construction, I hope we only need 5 total faces to get to 12 next year. Goode gets his 5th year, Reneau and the guards return and we only lose Mgbako and the Super-Seniors. We go to the portal for two bigs. If Reibe goes to Kansas I suspect Bidunga would be obtainable. 

I think our approach is changing, slowly with recruiting. 

I rarely say anything with 100% certainly, but I will say that there is no way Luke Goode gets another year of eligibility.  I don't think there has ever been a player who played in the second half of the season get an extra year.  He played in the second half AND was slightly over the number of games he could have played in.  He's not getting granted a year.

3 hours ago, mamasa said:

I truly hope that Barrell Rick does come back. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him letting us know, AT THAT TIME, the info that he had. Things change. 

Maybe he is back just under a different name…..

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I rarely say anything with 100% certainly, but I will say that there is no way Luke Goode gets another year of eligibility.  I don't think there has ever been a player who played in the second half of the season get an extra year.  He played in the second half AND was slightly over the number of games he could have played in.  He's not getting granted a year.

Pre-Covid I would have agreed with you, post-Covid and with how many times the NCAA has lost in court, I wouldn’t be so sure. The NCAA already has extending eligibility from 4 years to 5 years as standard procedure on the table as is. Assuming Goode plays the entire season this year, he will have finished his career playing only 3 1/3 seasons. In a world where we’ve seen the NCAA grant full 6th, 7th, and in an extreme case, a 9th season to a Miami football player, the NCAA granting a 5th season to Goode under his specific circumstance doesn’t seem too far-fetched at all. In fact, it seems probable, especially if he puts up a decent fight.