Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Barrel Rick

Trent Sisley is an Outstanding Hoosier and (2025) SG - to UConn Thread

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think it takes a special kind of HS kid who wants to play for Woodson. Everyone loves their grandpa, but not many people want him to coach their team. I think we do get some kids who grew loving IU like Sisley. I think we get some kids who are looking for a nice payday. But until you can show someone with video evidence that your offense is fun for wings to play in, then we’re going to struggle with guards and wings. Both UCONN and even UNC can say look how we used these guys and got them to the league. 

I think this is the main factor.  Another thing is that both UConn and UNC can tout themselves as winning programs recently.  IU can’t make the same claim.  That’s the reality of the situation.

Animal House Bluto GIF

Bummer if he chooses UConn, but plenty of things can happen even if he does:

• Late high rated recruit that is similar or better (Tucker vs. McNeely)
  • Portal "replacement" - (Rice/Carlyle vs. Fland)
  • Mullins decommits
    • IU does better than UConn this season
    • Coaching change at either school (Hurley to NBA, CMW retires/fired)

Man, what a bummer if we lose out on him but I don't blame him one bit. 

Hopefully someone or something tugs on his heartstrings over the next 12 days, and he decides he just can't bear the thought of not playing for IU when he has the chance. 

I can't shake the feeling Woodson is about to get cucked in his own backyard. 

We have lost out on so many shooters from the state going back to the late Crean years. So frustrating. 

I mean just looking at it objectively, there’s really no comparison between IU and UConn as programs right now. The only thing Mike Woodson has to offer guards/wings right now is money. His offense has ranked 13th, 14, and 14th in the Big 10 the last three years in three point attempts. He thinks basketball is played “inside out” in the year 2024. He’s won 1 tournament game in three seasons.

If you want to play for the highest bidder? Ok, maybe Mike Woodson’s IU is the team for you. If you care about winning and playing for a competent coach? Mike Woodson’s IU probably isn’t the right fit for you. UConn offers him a fun offense, money, and a coach coming off back to back national titles. 

2 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Don't get me wrong I hope we get Mullins but I am more concerned with our front court recruiting for next year. If Rice, Carlyle and Tucker come back along with Cupps and Newton our guards and wings would still be good. On the other hand the front court player coming back is Reneau and I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year at IU

I'm sure that Tucker will be back -- I even think dad indicated that he wasn't necessarily looking to be a one and done.  Don't see him starting this year over what we have coming back and what was brought in.

In today's NIL world, guys on the fence are more likely to return to school than ever because sometimes the money is the same and often better in returning.  Hunter Dickinson is about to play his fifth year.  He'll turn 24 in November.  He probably would have been a guy who played two or three years in college before and then turned pro, even if he were to be a second round pick.  NBA scouts haven't changed their minds on him -- he is what he is, a big who isn't fast but has a nice touch.  He didn't stay in school to increase his stock because nothing has changed in the way he plays.  He stayed because the money was better.

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Animal House Bluto GIF

Bummer if he chooses UConn, but plenty of things can happen even if he does:

• Late high rated recruit that is similar or better (Tucker vs. McNeely)
  • Portal "replacement" - (Rice/Carlyle vs. Fland)
  • Mullins decommits
    • IU does better than UConn this season
    • Coaching change at either school (Hurley to NBA, CMW retires/fired)

The coaching change at U Conn can always happen, particularly if the Lakers lay an egg again and up the ante.

Chris's buddy Tyme mentioned that Hurley really was not the mastermind of the success, but his OC was.  I thought Tyme also indicated that perhaps this coach has moved on but looking at their staff I think it is intact.  Ignoring Tyme for the moment, any idea if Uconn lost an assistant coach this offseason?  Any thoughts on whether that could impact their success?

If I am a kid considering them, unless the assistant was the primary recruiter, this is probably not something i worry about.  

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Chris's buddy Tyme mentioned that Hurley really was not the mastermind of the success, but his OC was.  I thought Tyme also indicated that perhaps this coach has moved on but looking at their staff I think it is intact.  Ignoring Tyme for the moment, any idea if Uconn lost an assistant coach this offseason?  Any thoughts on whether that could impact their success?

If I am a kid considering them, unless the assistant was the primary recruiter, this is probably not something i worry about.  

Luke Murray is their bread-and-butter IMO.  Hurley and UCONN really took off when Murray came aboard.  Murray just signed a 3 year extension this past July.  The UCONN offense will be beautiful for another 3 to 4 years unless Murray leaves for a bigger opportunity.  

Even in the portal era, missing this big in back-to-back years is probably a good way to get fired. There are ways to mitigate it of course, and this year’s team has the talent to have a chance to do it. But the miss here is in part because CMW misperceives where IU stands in the hierarchy, when to push in, so on

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I think it takes a special kind of HS kid who wants to play for Woodson. Everyone loves their grandpa, but not many people want him to coach their team. I think we do get some kids who grew loving IU like Sisley. I think we get some kids who are looking for a nice payday. But until you can show someone with video evidence that your offense is fun for wings to play in, then were going to struggle with guards and wings. Both UCONN and even UNC can say look how we used these guys and got them to the league. 

If CMW can’t produce an improved and formidable team this year with large NIL resources, including specific players picked for HIS type of play on both sides of the ball….., Dolson must turn the page!

This is his year to flip the script, because on paper this roster should make a lot of noise and quiet the naysayers. 

He has zero room for sputtering through the year. If we could see a similar turnaround like IU Football (minus a new coach), we will start to see more confidence in recruits wanting to play for CMW. 

On 6/24/2024 at 3:42 PM, Demo said:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2025-center-malachi-moreno-down-to-eight-schools/

Moreno’s list at 8. No real surprises. Interesting note here is that Schumann describes Moreno as the “ringleader” of the plan for Mullins, Sisley and Moreno to take their IU OV’s together. That’s not nothin’.

On 6/24/2024 at 3:57 PM, Stuhoo said:

If you've heard an interview of Malachi Moreno, him being the ringleader will be no surprise. The kid is super-sharp and analytical.

People often say that message board posts don’t have important information.

But sometimes the most important posts are  buried, and sometimes buried in another thread.

So, per credible information that I received? The posts above were truly a big deal. Not that a final decision has been made, but that the posts above mattered and were underrated.

14 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Luke Murray is their bread-and-butter IMO.  Hurley and UCONN really took off when Murray came aboard.  Murray just signed a 3 year extension this past July.  The UCONN offense will be beautiful for another 3 to 4 years unless Murray leaves for a bigger opportunity.  

Maybe we should look at getting Luke Murray as our head coach?

5 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Maybe we should look at getting Luke Murray as our head coach?

4 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Someday there will be another coaching search, and he should be a consideration, absolutely.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Damn straight we should, and when the time comes, we probably will.

absolutely - Throw the bag, we have plenty of NIL money from all of these high value recruits that we have whiffed on to compensate Luke Murray very well

32 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Tyme isn't wrong about Murray. UConn's rise directly coincides with Murray being hired to the staff. Hurley's seat was getting very warm entering year 5 and the rest is history. 

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

People often say that message board posts don’t have important information.

But sometimes the most important posts are  buried, and sometimes buried in another thread.

So, per credible information that I received? The posts above were truly a big deal. Not that a final decision has been made, but that the posts above mattered and were underrated.

So when he went to Kentucky did the plan fall apart then?  I am not following how those posts were truly a big deal unless you are saying that missing Malachi killed the dream.  That could be but then I wonder why Sisley committed.  I had thought he wanted to go here IF others came with him.  

6 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Tyme isn't wrong about Murray. UConn's rise directly coincides with Murray being hired to the staff. Hurley's seat was getting very warm entering year 5 and the rest is history. 

Murray was with Mack at L'ville before though and they did not have success.  Other than arriving at the same time they started having success there more to the story?