Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Barrel Rick

(2025) SG - Braylon Mullins

11 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Yes, but I don’t think he was a priority recruit!  I could be wrong, but I don’t remember ever seeing anything about Sisley ever being a priority! 

This past weekend I attended the Indianapolis Scottish Highland Games and Festival. Ate some fish & chips and scotch eggs, drank some scotch whiskey, and watched big beefy men attempt a 145 pound caber toss. So it's nice to log in this morning and read a No True Scotsman retort as to why Trent Sisley doesn't count as a successful recruitment of a 4* target.

At this point this is a make or break it year for Woodson. Either he has a great year and shows he can change his offense, or he fails and he won't be back. We aren't going to get recruits like Mullins unless he shows progress. And after this year they have to decide if they extend his contract. I don't have much faith he will turn it around but I hope I'm wrong. If he fails I hope they unshackle Scott Dolson and let him make a good hire. The Cignetti hire hopefully gives him that leverage.

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

This past weekend I attended the Indianapolis Scottish Highland Games and Festival. Ate some fish & chips and scotch eggs, drank some scotch whiskey, and watched big beefy men attempt a 145 pound caber toss. So it's nice to log in this morning and read a No True Scotsman retort as to why Trent Sisley doesn't count as a successful recruitment of a 4* target.

Now I didn’t say he wasn’t a successful recruit, I just mentioned that I never seen or heard of Woodson making him a priority recruit.  I personally think this is a solid recruit, just like Cupps and Newton was because they all wanted to come to IU.  

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

UCONN

Not great.  2025 is about as disappointing of a class as it can get with so many strong targets in the state.  I guess we just have to hope we remain a big portal destination at this point.  

4 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

Not great.  2025 is about as disappointing of a class as it can get with so many strong targets in the state.  I guess we just have to hope we remain a big portal destination at this point.  

Yeah... seems that they all want to play for a coach who knows what he's doing... They say "it ain't bragging if you can back it up"... so far, Hurley has done that... Woodson has not, despite "I did my job".

8 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yeah... seems that they all want to play for a coach who knows what he's doing... They say "it ain't bragging if you can back it up"... so far, Hurley has done that... Woodson has not, despite "I did my job".

And he’s doing his job!

Woody made some assumptions when he first took the job that were inaccurate. Then he was suddenly a 60+ yo first time college head coach for a team and staff that no idea how to win. A lot of pride and arrogance got him dug in this hole. I think he knows x's and o's as well as anyone though. This year will be successful enough that he could step down with legacy in tact. OR we may get really close and he'll coach the remainder of his contract. 

8 minutes ago, BA47591 said:

Woody made some assumptions when he first took the job that were inaccurate. Then he was suddenly a 60+ yo first time college head coach for a team and staff that no idea how to win. A lot of pride and arrogance got him dug in this hole. I think he knows x's and o's as well as anyone though. This year will be successful enough that he could step down with legacy in tact. OR we may get really close and he'll coach the remainder of his contract. 

Yeah this certainly seems like the tipping point year for Woodson. As some have reported he might want to enjoy more retirement activities than other coaches of the same age. But is he too stubborn to step down if this is a medium-successful season? 

18 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Still exactly one crystal ball on Mullins to U Conn.

Waiting for the inevitable...

Lee Corso College GIF - Lee Corso College Game Day ...

getting my hopes up that he's coming to IU and then he chooses UConn and get told it's been that way for weeks...

Danny Hurley is a pubic hair!  Now I hope like most Hoosier people, Brays father can see that.  But if not, so be it.  Bray has that cool chance to be one of those “guys” from Indiana who will be loved for life.  If he chooses wrongly?  Backs are turned his way!  That would suck for him!

I hope Bray chooses wisely!

19 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

Danny Hurley is a pubic hair!  Now I hope like most Hoosier people, Brays father can see that.  But if not, so be it.  Bray has that cool chance to be one of those “guys” from Indiana who will be loved for life.  If he chooses wrongly?  Backs are turned his way!  That would suck for him!

I’d have to agree…I’d have a hard time letting my son go there even with the success they’ve had. He just seems like a jerk and very arrogant. I know people will say that about Knight but he was more hard nosed and it’s my way….Hurley just seems like a guy who thinks his you know what don’t stink.

6 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

I’d have to agree…I’d have a hard time letting my son go there even with the success they’ve had. He just seems like a jerk and very arrogant. I know people will say that about Knight but he was more hard nosed and it’s my way….Hurley just seems like a guy who thinks his you know what don’t stink.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Considering he’s been very public about his struggles with mental health, including missing time during the season at SHU, he definitely does not fall into the “thinks his **** doesn’t stink” category of a$$hole. Like most coaches he tends to project a certain image. He plays a role as the tough guy from Jersey City but I think even he would acknowledge that’s a persona to an extent. He’s a competitor and a principled man from a good family. Just so happens he’s the best coach in CBB right now, so he’s pounding his chest, and that’s a problem for everyone else. Yes I’m biased since I became a basketball fan by watching St Anthony’s and St Benedict’s dominate in the late 90s-2010s… he’s the type of guy you’d love if he’s on your side, and hate him when he’s not. 

34 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

If I were in his shoes, I’d pick IU (obviously) because he can live the dream and if it doesn’t work out after a year, UConn/UNC, etc. will more than likely still be an option. It would be special for him to choose the Hoosiers and be a Damon Bailey type. 

4 hours ago, BtownStrength said:

Yeah this certainly seems like the tipping point year for Woodson. As some have reported he might want to enjoy more retirement activities than other coaches of the same age. But is he too stubborn to step down if this is a medium-successful season? 

That my friend is the million dollar question.  What if:

• a class of Mullins and Sisley • win at Wisconsin • split w/Purdue • win the BTT• finish in the top 15 • 3 seed and lose in the second weekend ? 

That would give Woody a pretty good 4 year story. He could retire having stamped his name on a couple of things and give us the perfect window to hire someone from a short list.