Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUFB vs #3 OSU -- 9/2/2023 at 3:30est on CBS

Well, they covered.  Vegas lost, and I won. This is a better team than the last 2 years. Quick glance, and things can absolutely change, but I see 5 wins and they might even get an upset win or two if the stars align. 

Today OSU was not the #3 ranked school in the country. Day doesn't have Fields or Stroud and it showed. Bucks are in trouble this year.

This was yet another atrocious performance, and the defense looked good not because they are good but because OSU just played the worst game they will play this year. Anyone finding a bright spot from this game is deluding themselves. We will win 2-3 games this year at a max. But one thing is clear, Allen needs to go. 

IU has the potential to be good with the right coach. It looked possible under Mallory, Hep (died too soon to realize), Wilson (fired too soon to realize), and even Allen with the right assistants. But Allen refuses to keep the right people and stays loyal to hacks (Hiller, Sheridan, and now Bell). For the love of god, look at Colorado which has been horrible for two decades (with the exception of two years) and is now beating TCU (in the national championship last year and ranked 17) in Neon Deion’s first season with massive roster turnover. You can’t hire a high school coach (or it’s equivalent - even though he might have been a reasonably good DC) and expect the results we need to stay in the Big Ten. You need a legitimate and proven head coach. If Dolson can’t grow the necessary manhood to make the change, then both of them should go. 

And for those that think I am a hater, I am not. I wanted Allen to be the right coach. I don’t post often. I have been a loyal IU fan (football and basketball for almost 50 years). I hate where we are today (with football). We could easily pay enough to get a great football coach. People that say otherwise are full of it. IU had the 11th most revenue in D1 programs last year (https://www.on3.com/news/usa-today-releases-top-25-total-revenue-college-athletics-programs/ ) and we are in a conference that just inked a deal to pay members between $70 and $100mm per year. You can’t tell me we can’t afford it. Especially, when Pac-12, ACC and Big 12 schools are receiving less and many schools have far better coaches. These coaches make less and are far better: Chip Kelly, Kalen Deboer, Dan Lanning, Chris Kleiman, Dana Holgorsen, Dave Aranda, Gus Malzan, Mack Brown, Scott Satterfield, Dave Doeren, and Pat Narduzzi, among others. Some great, some good, all better than Tom Allen. It is a false argument that IU cannot afford a great coach. Bad decisions lead to huge payouts, which if we paid market for a top tier coach up front, would cost us less over time - and make the University a tremendous amount if we are successful (the 2nd largest living alumni bases is a sleeping giant and would easily support a successful program). However, we, meaning the IU athletic department, choose not to pay what is market when we hire football coaches (we only pay up when there is a flash in the pan single season result - Tom Allen) and instead choose to bet on unknowns or unproven coaches to compete at the highest level in D1 sports (Allen in football and Miller in basketball as examples).  As you would not let just anyone drive an IndyCar (even on the worst team), such as a mechanic (yes, they know about cars, but may not be the right choice to race them at the Indy 500 - if you are confused, yes I am being sarcastic that someone would think this is a good idea), you shouldn’t let the used car / snake oil salesman (I.e. Tom Allen, and Bill Lynch for that matter) coach IU football. And just because we have historically been horrible at football does not mean we always need to be (see Oregon before 1994; South Carolina outside of Spurrier years; TCU before 1998; Michigan State before 1998; Baylor before 2010; among others).  You actually have to want to succeed, believe you can succeed, plan to succeed, and hire the right people to succeed in order to actually succeed.  It’s a simple concept, but essential to success.  Anything less is apathetic and begs the question why we even have a football program if we are unwilling to put the pieces in place to succeed.

Venting done. I realize Dolson clearly does not care and that our fan base only aims for bowl eligibility. It is truly sad. But it is what it is. Feel free to hate on this post, but I think lots of IU fans feel the same way. Have at it, and no hard feelings if you disagree. 

Edited by Aguas

A tip of the hat to Stuhoo for his prediction.  31 - 10 

I underestimated Indiana's defense.  That or OSU's offence needs serious adjustments.  Probably both.

IU's first couple of possessions put IU in a hole.  That and a few penalties on special teams.  Clean those up and IU is really in a lot of games. Actually, the OL and DL looked improved.

Now to offense.  No offense.  Do not tell me that IU is going to have the game plan to not get blown out.  Maybe it is the play calling.  Maybe just maybe take a look at the OC.  It is easy, after the play, to see what went wrong.  But holy crap.

I just reflect on the fact that the Head Coach had to have reviewed and approved the game plan of the OC.   Maybe the QBs need help and seasoning. Maybe the OC needed to get a really good game-time feel of the OL.  Maybe the WRs were not up to the level of the hype.  Maybe all of this will really help to improve IU football early in the season...and throughout.

We just have to get the defense off of the field. That third quarter fade stuff is because of our offense isn't performing.

For those of us that think that IU cannot afford to spend more on football coaches...seems like we are doing just that now and the Athletic Department is pretty lucrative. 

I was in classes in Bloomington with Jade Butcher and met John Isenbarger and others of the Rose Bowl game.  I also graduated from UW-Madison and have lived in Ohio longer than Indiana.  Also lived up and down the east coast.  One gains perspectives by getting out of Dodge.  

Those of us that realize, later in life, that the universe does not center on IU-Bloomington...come to grips with lots of factors besides coaches' salaries determine the trajectory of a program.  Maybe the climate, demographics, cultural factors, politics, conference bias towards you know who, leadership, fan support, and location of IU-B and the Midwest USA will all change to allow IU football to be a winning program. Of all of the things that would have to change is the political/higher education/philosophies coming out of the state capitol and the Board of Trustees.  

Way back when the state legislature decided to split the university system into two...that may have stuck a fork in the college football programs in the State of Indiana for a long, long time.  And I sure am not a proponent of changing that in order to improve IU/PU by merging and making one football program among other ramifications.

It looks from here like Indiana will beat Purdoo.  If the offense improves so will the results.

9 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Well, they covered.  Vegas lost, and I won. This is a better team than the last 2 years. Quick glance, and things can absolutely change, but I see 5 wins and they might even get an upset win or two if the stars align. 

Today OSU was not the #3 ranked school in the country. Day doesn't have Fields or Stroud and it showed. Bucks are in trouble this year.

Looking like a worse offense and a beter defense. Last we lost 56-14 to OSU. Scored more and allowed more. But OSUs offense was also much much better last year and they didn't have questions about a QB. If Walt Bell can't figure out his job, this team will struggle to win a game. Doesn't matter how good the defense plays. We were never in a position to score at any point in yesterday's game. Did we ever make it to the red zone?

Defense may be improved but I'd say the bigger takeaway from this game is how down OSU's offense is compared to recent years. IU offense still seems inept. Felt O-Line was better, though the bar was already laying on the ground for that group. Overall, this is still a very bad P5 football team.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Looking like a worse offense and a beter defense. Last we lost 56-14 to OSU. Scored more and allowed more. But OSUs offense was also much much better last year and they didn't have questions about a QB. If Walt Bell can't figure out his job, this team will struggle to win a game. Doesn't matter how good the defense plays. We were never in a position to score at any point in yesterday's game. Did we ever make it to the red zone?

The 1st half had a good opportunity to get points on the board but poor execution and a questionable play call led to a turnover on downs. I'm thinking of the drive that had potential to put us up 10-7 going into the half. It not only gave the ball back to OSU but a questionable taunting call also gave them good field position that ultimately ended up with a FG. I'm sure there were other opportunities as well but that drive comes to mind.

In my opinion, all that will get worked out as the season moves along. I believe these guys will get better and play better against other opponents. We'll see, I might be incredibly wrong though. Only time will tell.  

Defense may be improved but I'd say the bigger takeaway from this game is how down OSU's offense is compared to recent years. IU offense still seems inept. Felt O-Line was better, though the bar was already laying on the ground for that group. Overall, this is still a very bad P5 football team.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have OSU losing four games and Day being put on the hot seat

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

OSU looked to just be going through the motions which probably contributed to our defense looking better. Our offense looked so inept. Offense has to at least sustain drives long enough to give the D a break. It’s the same old song and dance.

On 9/3/2023 at 4:25 PM, Alford Bailey said:

OSU looked to just be going through the motions which probably contributed to our defense looking better. Our offense looked so inept. Offense has to at least sustain drives long enough to give the D a break. It’s the same old song and dance.

I would say if a team is going through the motions in the opening game of the season they aren’t a true contender.

3 hours ago, Demo said:

Look, a record number of people saw IU football. Great. That should do……..wonders…..for recruiting. 

I read that Allen was using this game as a big recruiting event so I guess there were probably plenty of recruits who got to see it in person... yeah, that'll help turn it around. Sure.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:16 PM, maharkn said:

I have OSU losing four games and Day being put on the hot seat

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

You might not be wrong, but that is pants on the head retarded. His win % is .882. I almost hope O$U does fire him and then free falls. It would be delicious. They are an insufferable bunch of arrogant bung-holes and deserve some come-uppance. 

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

You might not be wrong, but that is pants on the head retarded. His win % is .882. I almost hope O$U does fire him and then free falls. It would be delicious. They are an insufferable bunch of arrogant bung-holes and deserve some come-uppance. 

Games against Michigan and Penn State... Both right now look better. Could be two losses. Could definitely lose at Notre Dame. Same for at Wisconsin. I don't think it'll be like past years where it's just a guarantee. No Heisman level QB this year.