Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Mongolian Mike Sharavjamts 6'8" G

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

"He's a national treasure" and he's got IU in his final five for portal transfer. Highly recommend that you watch the video:

Very cool story. Saw 247 has him as the #34 transfer overall. Lot of upside it seems. Think he would be like our 6th man for this coming season. Sounds like the staff is seeing who else is out there before going all in on him. Have to think if the staff goes all in IU would be able to get him. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Very cool story. Saw 247 has him as the #34 transfer overall. Lot of upside it seems. Think he would be like our 6th man for this coming season. Sounds like the staff is seeing who else is out there before going all in on him. Have to think if the staff goes all in IU would be able to get him. 

If we got him we'd have a four way battle for the starting SG spot, with Trey as the incumbent/favorite, and Mike S, CJ, and Jakai (in that order) as the challengers.

Trey would be the best 20-25 mpg sixth man ever.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

CJ, and Jakai (in that order) as the challengers.

Neither Gunn nor Newton will be competing for a starting job. They will be competing against each other for the 3rd SG slot behind Galloway and Sharavjamts. 

3 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Neither Gunn nor Newton will be competing for a starting job. They will be competing against each other for the 3rd SG slot behind Galloway and Sharavjamts. 

My full line, in context, was: 

"Trey as the incumbent/favorite, and Mike S, CJ, and Jakai (in that order) as the challengers."

CJ Gunn and Jakai Newton are talented players; one never knows how they can develop and impact the team.

FWIW:

Torvik predicts him to a have big jump efficiency next year. Using their numbers (they project Sharavjamts to get 25 minutes per game at IU, a number I don't see happening), he would shoot 43/35/76 and average roughly 8 points, 2 boards, and 3 assists.  It's close to what the translated projections I have from their numbers for Galloway would be -- 27 mpg, 6.7 points, 3.6 reb, 2.6 assists, shotting 46/45/63.

Personally, I would cautiously project him at half the time Torvik does.  There would be some use in a bench playing getting 12.5 mpg, 4 points, a board and an assist or two.

interestingly, Torvik (which admittedly) uses an algorithm that projects minutes that any Indiana fan would argue with takes Indiana from #28 to #32 with the addition of Mongolian Mike.  I believe it was Leal, that it bumped out of the active minutes lineup.  Leal, seems very likely to be #13 so that isn't nearly accurate just find it interesting.  Cam Spencer for comparison's sake takes Indiana from #28 to #19.

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

interestingly, Torvik (which admittedly) uses an algorithm that projects minutes that any Indiana fan would argue with takes Indiana from #28 to #32 with the addition of Mongolian Mike.  I believe it was Leal, that it bumped out of the active minutes lineup.  Leal, seems very likely to be #13 so that isn't nearly accurate just find it interesting.  Cam Spencer for comparison's sake takes Indiana from #28 to #19.

I talked about the Torvik formulas in a separate thread (I believe the transfer portal one), but basically it tends to over rate previous playing  time in calculating expected minutes for the following year.  This results in Sparks being projected to play more minutes than Reneau even though Reneau is projected to have better efficiency ratings.

When Sharavajamts is added to IU's roster, it gives him about 25 minutes per game -- a number that I don't think is realistic.  So it ends up taking minutes away from players who Torvik actually has rated with better efficiency ratings.  FWIW, Torvik projects him to only get 12 minutes per game at Nebraska -- and it's not because of Nebraska's talent (they are ranked 45 currently in Torvik) but rather that they acquired and returned players who played more minutes than MS did last season.

I love the Torvik rostercast, but it's limited. 

I read this on another board, but probably the reason San Francisco is in the mix is the large Mongolian community there.  Five thousand people originally from Mongolia live in California and 60% of that population resides in the San Franciso Bay Area cities of Oakland and San Leandro.  Apparently this area has become a popular center for Mongolian immigrants in the past twenty years.

In another thread I posted: 

From the Athletic: " He’s a boom-or-bust player that has real defensive deficiencies right now, and I’d recommend that he only goes to up tempo, well-spaced offensive situations that allow him to get the most out of his skill level. Still, he’s worth ranking because the upside if he gets into the right environment is very real."

On a Dayton fan forum, I gather this: Reports have him as being born in Phoenix AZ.  His father is...apparently...very active in promoting his son.  He is about 22 years old.  He attended International Sports Academy as a high school senior. He is thin and needs big-time conditioning and weight training to compete with the best players.  I am very curious what his GPA is.  

IMHO and just looking at tidbits...I wonder about Galloway's free throw percentage.  If Galloway improves his scoring and free throws and keeps getting better at defense, then he may just be a lot better option than Mike from Mondovia, Arizona.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think we are legitimately kicking the tires for Antonio Reeves.  Not sure if any other sneaky moves like this being pursued. Mongolian Mike might be a semi back up option if the “HomeRun” options don’t hit.  

What makes you think we're in contact with Reeves? He would make some sense, but I haven't seen anything that indicates we've reached out to him.

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

IMG_1664.png

FWIW, I haven't found CBBRoundup to be particularly reliable.  One of the replies they make in the tweet says that 'from what he's heard today, he doubts that Illinois is in the lead for him because they need a lead guard and they are going after Trey Woodbury now'.

Woodbury is in limbo right now as his waiver was rejected.  He's only going to be eligible on the off chance that the NCAA grants him a waiver on his second appeal which I think is highly unlikely.

18 hours ago, mike vannice said:

If Mongolian Mike becomes a Hoosier does that mean all of Mongolia will be hating on the Boilermakers ?? lol

Well, I learned today that Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was originally called "Mongolian Rhapsody" -- there must be a connection here, somehow

:)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/mongolian-bohemian-rhapsody-freddie-mercury-lyrics-auction-1234745488/