Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

Does anyone know officially IF and/or WHEN Mgbako is supposed to be on campus tomorrow? Will it make it to Friday? If there's legit smoke about the potential Kansas pop, then the coaches need to ask for, at least an in home visit today and hopefully we can pull a "Tennessee Flip"! 

10 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Does anyone know officially IF and/or WHEN Mgbako is supposed to be on campus today? If there's legit smoke about the potential Kansas pop, then he definitely needs to get on campus and hopefully we can pull a "Tennessee Flip"! 

I thought his visit started tomorrow

I would like for us to go after one of the KU assistants next time we have an opening. 

they pretty well get who they want and they get it done quickly. 

that staff gets it done year in and year out

20 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Does anyone know officially IF and/or WHEN Mgbako is supposed to be on campus tomorrow? Will it make it to Friday? If there's legit smoke about the potential Kansas pop, then the coaches need to ask for, at least an in home visit today and hopefully we can pull a "Tennessee Flip"! 

There's nothing I've seen or read that shows Mgbako has canceled his visit. Is it possible? sure...but Kansas fans are gonna say what they want to say on their message boards after Dickinson commits. Keep in mind...Mgbako moves down the scout report with a Dickinson commitment...I'm not sure that's a plus for Kansas.

Every time a team adds a player, the fans "hear" rumors that another addition is imminent, or even a windfall of more commitments is coming. We did the same thing after we got Ware; Purdue fans were doing it earlier this week. Let the Kansas fans be excited in the moment and stop thinking everything that gets posted on the Internet has truth to it. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

There's nothing I've seen or read that shows Mgbako has canceled his visit. Is it possible? sure...but Kansas fans are gonna say what they want to say on their message boards after Dickinson commits. Keep in mind...Mgbako moves down the scout report with a Dickinson commitment...I'm not sure that's a plus for Kansas.

Let's hope not .....If "the heat is on", you gotta think the coaches have to come together, and at least get one last look from him, so no stone is left unturned.

25 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Every time a team adds a player, the fans "hear" rumors that another addition is imminent, or even a windfall of more commitments is coming. We did the same thing after we got Ware; Purdue fans were doing it earlier this week. Let the Kansas fans be excited in the moment and stop thinking everything that gets posted on the Internet has truth to it. 

Yeah, basically the posters on the PHOG board took this comment from one of their respected posters and just read into it what they wanted to:

"I think we get Mgbako. Unfortunately, I can't say for sure as the family isn't big into fishing."

That certainly doesn't sound definitive to me, just someone expressing optimism.  My personal opinion (which doesn't mean anything) is that a Dickinson commitment means a smaller chance to land Mgbako.

17 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Yes and you can discount it if you want but he has all the players ears and is heavily into getting guys to IU. 

First - it's a nice 'catch'. A young, IU grad fashion to the bball stars guy being followed by Mgbako is interesting. Based on Solomon's Insta feed and role in an aspect of something NBA-someday bound players care about? I agree that he has players' ears, and that Mgbako following him means Mgbako wants to be associated with him.

What I'm finding harder to connect is whether he can influence or fund a player's choice of IU. Sure, as an IU grad he's an IU fan, but wouldn't Solomon want to keep just as strong an association with a top ten recruit if he chose one of the other three schools?

15 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

One national insider I somewhat trust said nothing you hear on Mgbako will be fact. Don’t believe it. Think this is message board banter like we had with many. 

The insider you are referring to I believe goes by Trilly Donovan (which I am assuming is a real college insider using a pseudonym that isn't his main account).  Basically said that you couldn't trust any 'inside information' on this one because the Mgbako's are going to release anything or show their hand.  This recruiting cycle the Trilly Donovan account has been pretty accurate with info.  The account also says that it has stopped releasing anything on Louisville recruiting because of the amount of misinformation that is coming from the department, so anything that comes from the Lville account should be taken with a mountain of salt.

26 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I think insider guys are finding portal predicting is a lot harder when you don’t have over a year of getting to know kids, family etc. things easier leaked there. 

This makes sense to me, the window is so much smaller too- some of these guys enter and commit within a week or 2. Not a lot of time to develop sources. 

Dickinson was higher profile and longer than many of these transfers and I don't think anyone got a strong indication it was KU until the last 24hrs, right? Originally was Maryland, then was stong UK lean....all just chatter.

I'm glad Mgbako is keeping it quiet. The attention whores get tiresome.  

Bossi said as of this morning MM was still doing his next two visits but KU is trying their hardest for a close right now. 

As well they should be. I think everyone will want to try and close when he’s in town.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of $$$$$$ at play these days, I think the most advantageous aspect of Dickinson committing to Kansas is the NIL commitment they'll have made to him. I know there is a lot of money, but it's not unlimited. Not familiar with how these payments are set up but at a certain point doesn't the big money sort of tell the coach they've given him as good of a roster as he needs? 

Obviously Kansas is tough to argue with from a winning/recent prestige standpoint. But from a role in the offense/playing time perspective, I think IU may have a slight edge. He wants to go to the NBA quick as a top 10 recruit, Woodson pulled it off with JHS who people didn't think was as NBA-ready as Mgbako. He fills so many holes/needs on the roster and raises our ceiling in a huge way. 

Off the court, I imagine sponsorships/connections are relatively similar between KU and IU. Never seen KU's campus... wish MM had a chance to see Assembly Hall during a big game before deciding. Intrigued to hear he is following this notable alum in the NBA fashion market. He probably wants to go wherever he can be the biggest star and make the most money...

NIL/brand deals may well be the determining factor and I have no idea how that shakes out. 

In any case, IU definitely has a very compelling pitch to make.

I hope MM likes what he sees/hears ... but ... I am prepared to be mildly disappointed 

3 five star pick ups late in the offseason in a row would be very impressive, though, if they can pull it off

1 hour ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Bossi said as of this morning MM was still doing his next two visits but KU is trying their hardest for a close right now. 

Have to say that from the way that MM and family have been handling the process, a hard sell might not be the best way to go.  We'll see.