Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Michigan - Saturday, 2/11/23 @ 6:00 on ESPN

Michigan (14-10) (8-5) is far from invincible although they are 10-3 at home and coming off a 93-72 beatdown of Nebraska last night.  Not a game for a slow start.  Need TJD to continue his level of play and lots of help from the supporting cast.  

Live Stats

Kevin Brown, Robbie Hummel and Myron Medcalf set to be on ESPN’s call of Indiana vs. Michigan on Saturday.

Unofficial Depth/Injury

WOLVERINES! WOLVERINES! Oh wait, this isn’t Red Dawn. Michigan is in the same spot last year in my opinion, they have had a up and down season sitting at 13-10 and 9-3 at home. Starting 5 consists of, 7’1 260 C Dickinson (18.1 PPG, we all know him), 6’8 215 G Jett Howard (Straight up scorer, 38.8% 3P), 6’4 195 Kobe Bufkin (Playing well recently), 5’11 160 G Dug McDaniel (replaced Llewelyn), and 6’7 215 F Terrance Williams (2nd best rebounder on Michigan). They replaced 4 starters from last year’s Sweet 16 team. From what I have seen, Michigan isn’t bad at staying away from fouls only averaging 9.9 fouls in Conference play. Michigan likes to play about 7-8 deep judging by the last previous games and minutes distributions. However, the starters do play pretty heavy minutes in games in marquee matchups. However, this game will not be a cakewalk, they have talent to compete. Add to it, they are super desperate right now, which might be interesting on Saturday.

The names I usually see coming off the bench is 6’7 205 G Joey Baker (43% 3P),  6’10 230 F Tarris Reed Jr, and 6’8 240 F Will Teschetter. And sometimes 6’7 225 G Jace Howard. There has been a couple of times where Michigan only played 6 deep (In quality minutes).

Injury report-

G Jaelin Llewelyn- former starter is out for the season

This team is way more talented than their record. Jett can plain score the ball. Dug the new PG has tons of moxy. I kinda like him. Good shooter too. I imagine JHS length will bother him. Don’t leave Joey Baker open ever. TJD has improved more than Dickinson and I think we have an advantage there. Kopp on Howard is already giving me nightmares.

Reneau/Race vs Williams a likely wash. I think Reneau might have the offensive advantage there. Gonna take a road Illinois type effort. Michigan will be absolutely amped for this one. They need it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I think IU is pretty well equipped to take advantage of UM’s defensive limitations. McDaniel is much smaller than every Hoosier. He probably has to deal with Galloway. Jett might lose focus and lose Kopp. And Trayce has proof-of-concept that he can succeed against Dickinson.

I was hoping we might get an X sighting this weekend. However, after reviewing the timeline and such I think we might see him back next Saturday at home against Illinois. (Obviously in a very limited role). That would then give him 4 games (2 road/2 home) to get back up to speed a little before the BTT and then the NCAA tournament. 

Besides the BTT, seems like Dickinson always done well against us in previous matchups. However, we are indifferent situation this year, since I think we will try and rattle Michigan’s freshman guards. Unless Baker (has started before), comes in for McDaniel due to an massive height disadvantage, but I doubt it.

Looks like line has us a +2.5 to +3 point dog so far.

MU is playing hard over its past 3, we're both 8-5 in B1G play, they're desperate to ensure they get in the tourney, and its their home floor. We just eeked out the W over Rutgers. I think this is probably a MU win, but it's a hard one to predict imo.