Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jamie Kaiser Jr. to Maryland

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Big ol’ bag of strikeouts. Momentum killer. Not even really top tier targets. It’s going to get interesting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yeah this sucks, no other way to slice it. Lots of misses. Have to land Page and a transfer wing/forward. Really wanted Kaiser at IU

Ten months before the recruiting class closes?
Not pleasant if we miss out on guys we want, but I am more than sure it is not a problem.

It’s not a problem until it’s a problem.

We clearly focused on 4 guys in July. And some time on Booker too.

Power who we won’t get a shot with.

Kaiser, DHS, Page. So, maybe we get Page? A Queen reclass? We really need size. Who else left in 23 to be excited about?

I know You’re an eternal optimist and I can appreciate that but this class isn’t off to a momentum building success. Kentucky, Duke and other bluebloods are plucking off talent in their sleep.

I’ll revert to lower my expectation mode soon enough.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Kaiser, DHS, Page. So, maybe we get Page? A Queen reclass? We really need size. Who else left in 23 to be excited about?

I know You’re an eternal optimist and I can appreciate that but this class isn’t off to a momentum building success. Kentucky, Duke and other bluebloods are plucking off talent in their sleep.

But we have Cupps & Newton plus a good shot at Page. Queen could reclassify. If we’re top 20 than that can also help recruiting.

In this new age of recruiting, I don't think anything can be counted on until all the offers ($) are in. I imagine a lot of behind the curtain stuff is happening, especially since the NCAA has no real power anymore. I'm not saying that is the case with here, but wouldn't be surprised either.

25 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But we have Cupps & Newton plus a good shot at Page. Queen could reclassify. If we’re top 20 than that can also help recruiting.

Correct. The process needs to play all the way out and there’s no value in judging it until it does. If anybody says they had Malik Reneau on the ‘22 roster in February I’m not gonna believe’em.

59 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Lowering expectations because we may not get Jamie Kaiser and DeShawn Harris-Smith, both of whom we didn’t know we were wanting just a few months ago?

Im not an optimist—I’m a realist. You didn’t ever see me saying that we were likely to get either of those players. 

I did say we seem to have a plan of priority recruits or portal, and so far we have two players we prioritized. I do think that we’ll end up with four very good players to fill out the 2023 roster. If that makes me an eternal optimist…so be it.

53 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

Not understanding why we didn't push for Carr?

Same. I know he's not a shooter. Maybe his game is too similar to Newton's, but from the limited action I saw he clearly had an explosiveness and an edge that I appreciated. 

Recruiting is obviously going to slow down.  We can’t offer guaranteed PT like we have sorta been able to. Guys are going to be competing against second year 5 stars or talented upperclassmen.

You don’t have to have a top class every year. Even Kansas and UNC have lower classes.  It’s normal when you have started to stack talent.  But it absolutely can’t happen twice in a row.  

Recruiting is obviously going to slow down.  We can’t offer guaranteed PT like we have sorta been able to. Guys are going to be competing against second year 5 stars or talented upperclassmen.

You don’t have to have a top class every year. Even Kansas and UNC have lower classes.  It’s normal when you have started to stack talent.  But it absolutely can’t happen twice in a row.  

Disagree here.

UNC and Kansas had some down classes because of flying under the NCAA microscope. Kansas has what, 7 level 1 sanctions they are still dealing with. Ironically, they did win the big one with those underrated classes. Lol.

UNC dealt with NCAA microscope and coaching changes. They are rolling now and were the last couple years.

We are losing 3 guaranteed starters and a possible 4th starter. Yeah, we’ll have some talent left over, but all the better teams do. If any year was the year to sell potential PT it’s this class with what we project to lose.

Lowering expectations because we may not get Jamie Kaiser and DeShawn Harris-Smith, both of whom we didn’t know we were wanting just a few months ago?
Im not an optimist—I’m a realist. You didn’t ever see me saying that we were likely to get either of those players. 
I did say we seem to have a plan of priority recruits or portal, and so far we have two players we prioritized. I do think that we’ll end up with four very good players to fill out the 2023 roster. If that makes me an eternal optimist…so be it.

I was not as high on any of our targets in 23 as the forum here. I like Page a lot. I like Newtons athleticism but wanted to see him perform in AAU. Kaiser and DHS seemed like good potential additions but neither one were guys I’d expect big year 1 contributions.

So for me, it’s not so much who we’ve missed, but also our targets were less than I’d hoped for. I’ve looked over the 2023 class, we’ve shot our shot with some decent/good guys but there isn’t a whole lot left out there to make a big splash with. Powers would have been nice. KJ Evans seemed nice.

But, yes, the optimistic side of things is we can offer a lot in the transfer portal and hopefully/maybe that’s the silver lining.

Yeah, not a bad class. Also, not a great class. Particularly considering what we lose. The top 20 thought might have some validity but probably not as much as our fanbase expects. It needs to be a nearly unquestioned expectation as other the programs have developed. Having a bad year would hurt more than having a top 20 year. Now, having a top 3-5 year might turn some heads but that would be more likely to help 2024 recruiting or portal recruiting. 2023 is mostly spoken for at the top.

28 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Disagree here.

UNC and Kansas had some down classes because of flying under the NCAA microscope. Kansas has what, 7 level 1 sanctions they are still dealing with. Ironically, they did win the big one with those underrated classes. Lol.

UNC dealt with NCAA microscope and coaching changes. They are rolling now and were the last couple years.

We are losing 3 guaranteed starters and a possible 4th starter. Yeah, we’ll have some talent left over, but all the better teams do. If any year was the year to sell potential PT it’s this class with what we project to lose.

I see no signs of possible NCAA sanctions having any real impact on schools when recruiting.  The simple fact is when talking with recruits you are promising them a spot.  What spots do we have to offer?  

We might have one starting spot that isn’t already pretty solid.  Bates, JHS, Malik are a pretty good core. Got to imagine Geronimo is going to have a spot there and we keep hearing tons of stuff about Banks.  

A single 25-30 class isn’t a terrible thing if you develop the guys you do get that year and have folks already slated to fill out 1-7 spots in your rotation. Plus there’s always transfer portal