Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Henryville Hoosier

Next assistant coach

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Glad you agree with the writers opinion which he clearly says is his opinion of the situation.  Doesn’t mean other people are going to take his opinion as fact.   

Doesn’t mean the “stories” are facts either.  But this is the wrong thread. 

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Glad you agree with the writers opinion which he clearly says is his opinion of the situation.  Doesn’t mean other people are going to take his opinion as fact.   

It’s all opinion, but there are some basic points that imo really aren’t about opinion — how a HC announces an assistant coach’s departure. There isn’t a good reason to make it clear publicly that Woodson is pushing him out. Whether it’s ego or poorly thinking things through or whatever, the better practice, and especially given this is Fife the former player, is to handle it with class

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It’s all opinion, but there are some basic points that imo really aren’t about opinion — how a HC announces an assistant coach’s departure. There isn’t a good reason to make it clear publicly that Woodson is pushing him out. Whether it’s ego or poorly thinking things through or whatever, the better practice, and especially given this is Fife the former player, is to handle it with class

Ego could go both ways correct?   Maybe they did offer Fife an out where he could of went out on his terms but he said no thanks.   Who knows.   All I know is IU has a new assistant coach that the head seems to think is a better fit 

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

If Fife did the things he’s accused of doing then Woodson handled it perfectly to let all the people Fife pissed off know that his kind of behavior won’t be tolerated. 

I'm not sure how the way the statement was written makes the way it was handled classless. I thought the statement that was made was just fine to explain the change without giving too much detail.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

"Woodson took it a step further and hired a former Indiana player to join his staff a couple weeks later."

I thought Dolson hired Fife before Woody but this makes it seem Woody was the one that hired Fife. This is all very interesting that there are so many versions of almost any controversy at IU and oftentimes depends on when and what story wants to be told.

32 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ego could go both ways correct?   Maybe they did offer Fife an out where he could of went out on his terms but he said no thanks.   Who knows.   All I know is IU has a new assistant coach that the head seems to think is a better fit 

Yeah i have no problem with moving on for fit etc, happens all the time, just think that the better approach and the one you usually see is for the HC to wish the departing assistant well and thank him for his contributions, not publicly mske comments msking it clear he canned him

37 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

"Woodson took it a step further and hired a former Indiana player to join his staff a couple weeks later."

I thought Dolson hired Fife before Woody but this makes it seem Woody was the one that hired Fife. This is all very interesting that there are so many versions of almost any controversy at IU and oftentimes depends on when and what story wants to be told.

Per Indy star, Woodson hired him. 
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/04/05/indiana-basketball-mike-woodson-hires-dane-fife-assistant/7096626002/

but yeah lies are facts and facts are lies.  

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Like stated in the article, many things are written that may not be true either but people are believing them.  And because it’s Dane Fife, who seems rash and very opinionated like DD, people automatically don’t like him.  I’ve been a supporter of CMW, but many people on here have noticed that CMW has a stubbornness about and that may lead to having an ego and him and Fife may not have seen things the same and Fife may have been too opinionated and for that he may have been fired; however, all that other crap that came out afterwards isn’t fact either and yet people are choosing to believe that.  That is what I agree with from the article, all that other stuff coming out because CMW made it clear to let everyone know he was fired instead of taking the high road.  This may cause some damage to the program and university but it definitely will hurt Fife’s career.  What happens if all or most of that stuff wasn’t true?  

My opinion on the entire matter really doesn’t matter, but I still think, knowing CMW’s stubbornness, that Fife was a little to opinionated on many things that happened throughout the season, and called CMW out on it and he didn’t like it and finally had enough and fired him.  If Some of that stuff really happened earlier in the year, why didn’t Woodson fire him then?

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yep.   Shocking that people will agree with other people that share their same opinion and that goes for both sides 

It seems to be the American way at the moment.......got to stay inside your own little bubble where all other facts are considered lies. 

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The vast majority of these "controversies" or that there are multiple versions are our fault. They're BTB's fault, HSN's fault, Peegs fault, etc. (myself included).

I'm still seeing posts on various message boards to the effect of, "this is so embarrassing that IU would fire their coach in waiting. How do you hire a coach in waiting and one year later fire them."

I use that as an example because literally nobody in the administration called Fife the "coach in waiting". Dolson didn't, Woodson didn't call him that, and Fife even denied it. 

Yet a lot of fans ran with it. This example happens all of the time. 

The vast majority of these controversies are fan created. We (myself included and all of our boards) pass things off as facts that the admin never says, alludes to, etc., but then we blame them for mishandling or messing up when the things we generated don't happen, etc.

Thank you for replying, it's crazy how that happens and continues to happen. It's almost like we over hype, only include, or make statements of fact when they're opinions and run with it. When the mood changes the story of what was said changes quickly to align. I guess we can find others to blame than the true source of this though...

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The vast majority of these "controversies" or that there are multiple versions are our fault. They're BTB's fault, HSN's fault, Peegs fault, etc. (myself included).

I'm still seeing posts on various message boards to the effect of, "this is so embarrassing that IU would fire their coach in waiting. How do you hire a coach in waiting and one year later fire them."

I use that as an example because literally nobody in the administration called Fife the "coach in waiting". Dolson didn't, Woodson didn't call him that, and Fife even denied it. 

Yet a lot of fans ran with it. This example happens all of the time. 

The vast majority of these controversies are fan created. We (myself included and all of our boards) pass things off as facts that the admin never says, alludes to, etc., but then we blame them for mishandling or messing up when the things we generated don't happen, etc.

So a couple of things, you say fife denied it (he did) yet he was fired for telling it to others?  

The other thing is while it may not have been official, it is clearly the implication they wanted to send by the hire.  At any time did Woodson or Dolson publicly say it wasn’t?  I don’t recall seeing it anywhere.  

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

So a couple of things, you say fife denied it (he did) yet he was fired for telling it to others?  

The other thing is while it may not have been official, it is clearly the implication they wanted to send by the hire.  At any time did Woodson or Dolson publicly say it wasn’t?  I don’t recall seeing it anywhere.  

I fully believe there were some serious exaggeration in that post Rabby put out. Was there some semi close stuff? Probably. The end of the day they didn’t agree on things and Woodson wanted to move on.

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Like stated in the article, many things are written that may not be true either but people are believing them.  And because it’s Dane Fife, who seems rash and very opinionated like DD, people automatically don’t like him.  I’ve been a supporter of CMW, but many people on here have noticed that CMW has a stubbornness about and that may lead to having an ego and him and Fife may not have seen things the same and Fife may have been too opinionated and for that he may have been fired; however, all that other crap that came out afterwards isn’t fact either and yet people are choosing to believe that.  That is what I agree with from the article, all that other stuff coming out because CMW made it clear to let everyone know he was fired instead of taking the high road.  This may cause some damage to the program and university but it definitely will hurt Fife’s career.  What happens if all or most of that stuff wasn’t true?  

My opinion on the entire matter really doesn’t matter, but I still think, knowing CMW’s stubbornness, that Fife was a little to opinionated on many things that happened throughout the season, and called CMW out on it and he didn’t like it and finally had enough and fired him.  If Some of that stuff really happened earlier in the year, why didn’t Woodson fire him then?

Here's the thing though, I think you're creating a narrative that makes sense to you but at least one of your assumptions, in my opinion, is just not correct.  You're saying that many people don't like like Dane Fife because he's opinionated, who and where are these people (before everything came out)? Granted I'm not as connected as many people so didn't know what was happening during the year, but I loved the hiring of Dane Fife as he is an IU legend and had a long successful tenure with MSU. And until all this stuff came out had no reason to believe he was anything other than an excellent assistant coach. That is where almost all of my friends were at and where I believe the majority of IU fans were at as well.  I have a post early in the Dane Fife firing thread that is anti-Woodson thinking he just couldn't handle contrary opinions, which made sense to me because I feel a lot of Woodson's coaching decisions were questionable this year and I could see Dane butting heads with him.

I also was a member of peegs for years and don't really like Rabjohns very much, for a number of reasons. One of them was that he generally kept things very vague and close to the vest to protect his sources. Related to that though, he's not a guy that just throws stuff at the wall to see what sticks. So I believe what he says and honestly it makes a lot more sense than Woodson firing an IU legend after one year because they had contrary opinions. I'm not saying it's not possible but to me it's much less likely to be the main reason he was fired. Occam's Razor and what not.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Why was it the implication they wanted to send? Because fans on a message board wanted it to be? At no point during that last year has Woodson or Dolson alluded to or said anything about it or about Woodson only being here 4-5 years or anything. 

If it was the implication they wanted to send then they would have named him the Associate Head Coach from the outset. They didn't. 

There's been no talk about anyone taking over for Woodson by anyone in the admin. Woodson could be the coach for 10 years. 

The likelihood of Woodson coaching for 10 years is slim.  One of the knocks on him was his age.  It's something other recruiters will definately bring up.  Having a head coach "in waiting" was seen as a way to alleviate that concern.  It's all in the visual, that's all.  And when the publilc ran with it, nobody came out and said "slow down" as far as I can tell.  They let it go.  

8 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

The likelihood of Woodson coaching for 10 years is slim.  One of the knocks on him was his age.  It's something other recruiters will definately bring up.  Having a head coach "in waiting" was seen as a way to alleviate that concern.  It's all in the visual, that's all.  And when the publilc ran with it, nobody came out and said "slow down" as far as I can tell.  They let it go.  

But, there never was a coach in waiting. It was always message board fodder, nothing else. 

Dane Fife himself said during his introductory press conference that he was not the coach in waiting. 

There are also like 3 coaches in the ACC in their 70's doing just fine on the recruiting trail. Mike Woodson has never even remotely indicated that his tenure will be short (3-4 years or something). 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But, there never was a coach in waiting. It was always message board fodder, nothing else. 

Dane Fife himself said during his introductory press conference that he was not the coach in waiting. 

There are also like 3 coaches in the ACC in their 70's doing just fine on the recruiting trail. Mike Woodson has never even remotely indicated that his tenure will be short (3-4 years or something). 

It may not be up to Mike Woodson.  You’re not young forever.  
But none of this has to do with the new assistant and the original post.  :)