Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

On 1/19/2022 at 8:36 AM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Just means they need to go elsewhere. 

The original quote was about kids in the high school classes of 2021 and 2022 missing out on scholarships.  Not everyone can go elsewhere.  It's a trickle down -- if 200 or so players use their extra covid year in D1, then the extra high school players trickle down to D2, but the same can happen at D2, which means now 400 players trickling down.  When you get to the lowest level, you will have a lot of players who otherwise would have gotten a scholarship that won't.

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't know how much this plays into things but from what I understand Race, TJD, Miller are all really close, Rob is in that group too but he's been hurt this year. They all might want to leave together or stay. 

Could be why those 4 were 4 of the 6 players who didn’t get suspended for Northwestern. Stuck together. 

23 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

The original quote was about kids in the high school classes of 2021 and 2022 missing out on scholarships.  Not everyone can go elsewhere.  It's a trickle down -- if 200 or so players use their extra covid year in D1, then the extra high school players trickle down to D2, but the same can happen at D2, which means now 400 players trickling down.  When you get to the lowest level, you will have a lot of players who otherwise would have gotten a scholarship that won't.

Part of it. There are plenty of schools who need scholarship players. If coaches are telling kids to come to a school knowing they won't have a spot, then shame on the coach. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier1984 said:

Could be why those 4 were 4 of the 6 players who didn’t get suspended for Northwestern. Stuck together. 

And we all know that Anthony Leal was the evil, secret mastermind of the curfew violation party. Lord knows what threats he made to buy everyone's silence!

;)

2 hours ago, Trish said:

Race - Transfer

TJD - NBA, Second round pick. G- League bound but he'll be fine

Rob - Staying

Kristian - transfer 

Logan - Transfer 

Durr - Transfer

None of these would surprise me, but it would mean that Jordan G. is our entire returning front line. I think this opens up 3 spots we could fill from the portal? I suppose we'd have a good selling point...big minutes up for grabs!

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Part of it. There are plenty of schools who need scholarship players. If coaches are telling kids to come to a school knowing they won't have a spot, then shame on the coach. 

I think we aren't understanding each other.  This is what I'm saying -- in terms of everyone getting an extra year if they played during 2020-21:

Let's say that on a roster, 12 players played in 2020-21 -- three freshman, three sophomores, three juniors, and three seniors.  If just one a player in each class decides to play an extra year, then that would mean for the next four years one less scholarship is available.  But that's true everywhere -- so even if the excess players transfer, they are just taking a spot that could have went to another player.  If of last year's seniors took a covid year, that's 358 less available scholarships in D1.  But the same could have happened at D1 - if one senior at each D2 school took an extra year, that's 358 less available scholarships in D2 already.  Now if the incoming seniors who would have normally gotten a D1 scholarship have to drop down to a D2 scholarship, that's actually 716 scholarships shorted at the D2 level for kids that were normally D2.  now obviously I'm just using some raw numbers and the actual numbers would be different, but I wasn't in favor of giving the extra year because it created an imbalance of players (plus I didn't like the reasoning of it....the season wasn't cancelled, they still played almost all of the games, and they had a chance to win a title).  And eventually players are dropping levels until eventually they are at a level that doesn't provide scholarships.

Now, do I hope to see fifth year seniors and fifth year transfer seniors come to IU if they help the team?  Of course.  But I would have preferred that the players weren't given a blanket fifth year.

2 hours ago, Trish said:

Race - Transfer

TJD - NBA, Second round pick. G- League bound but he'll be fine

Rob - Staying

Kristian - transfer 

Logan - Transfer 

Durr - Transfer

I could see no reason why Race would transfer.  He would be the focal point underneath at IU and already is given the freedom to shoot from deep as well.  IMO, he's either back, he graduates and looks to play overseas, or he graduates and looks to get on with the next part of his life.

25 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I think we aren't understanding each other.  This is what I'm saying -- in terms of everyone getting an extra year if they played during 2020-21:

Let's say that on a roster, 12 players played in 2020-21 -- three freshman, three sophomores, three juniors, and three seniors.  If just one a player in each class decides to play an extra year, then that would mean for the next four years one less scholarship is available.  But that's true everywhere -- so even if the excess players transfer, they are just taking a spot that could have went to another player.  If of last year's seniors took a covid year, that's 358 less available scholarships in D1.  But the same could have happened at D1 - if one senior at each D2 school took an extra year, that's 358 less available scholarships in D2 already.  Now if the incoming seniors who would have normally gotten a D1 scholarship have to drop down to a D2 scholarship, that's actually 716 scholarships shorted at the D2 level for kids that were normally D2.  now obviously I'm just using some raw numbers and the actual numbers would be different, but I wasn't in favor of giving the extra year because it created an imbalance of players (plus I didn't like the reasoning of it....the season wasn't cancelled, they still played almost all of the games, and they had a chance to win a title).  And eventually players are dropping levels until eventually they are at a level that doesn't provide scholarships.

Now, do I hope to see fifth year seniors and fifth year transfer seniors come to IU if they help the team?  Of course.  But I would have preferred that the players weren't given a blanket fifth year.

Right I get that, but how many teams have an extra scholarship every year? Or multiple? Your top recruits won't have to worry about anything. Players going to the MAC and SWAC might have to look around. But there is plenty of space throughout the country for players. 

Wish everyone the best no matter what happens. Based on playing time, new recruits, draft projections, the transfer portal, etc. it's tough to guess. 

One thing I'm curious about is if CMW will pursue another guard in the portal at the end of the season. We need more guard help than what CJ Gunn and JHS can provide next year. 

TJD - I think he stays. He is not close to getting drafted. The staff is trying to get him into the mind set that he's a sophomore, that's why he is listed as one. I imagine he'll test the NBA waters and get feedback for how to improve him game (the broad strokes we all already know), and he'll return to work on those aspects.

Race - Taking the opportunity to speak at senior night makes me think he's leaning toward leaving. Opens the door for more JG (good, bad or otherwise). 

Michael - I think he goes somewhere else for more minutes. 

Parker - A little surprised to learn he'll give a speech tomorrow based on the journey he's had in his college career, though maybe he isn't jiving with this staff (ie, the suspension, the benchings). He has been more active driving the ball in the second half of the season, which makes me think he's taking to the coaching. 

Kopp - He hasn't provided what we brought him in for. He's too one dimensional and too hesitant to pull the trigger in his one dimension. Nothing would surprise me, but I think his minutes could be best used by someone else. 

Rob - Such a heartbreaking career. Would be a little surprised if he stayed, but not leaning into the senior night speech was interesting. He could find himself behind X and JHS.

Lander - Maybe he goes, maybe not. He has his whole career in front of him with the covid year and potential redshirt year. If he were to transfer, where would he go? I would think IU is still his best bet if he wants to play high level college ball. 

Logan - Don't know why he'd transfer. Staff really wanted him to stay committed last year. He needed a season to gain weight and learn from experienced players. I think he can bring it in spurts next year. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Right I get that, but how many teams have an extra scholarship every year? Or multiple? Your top recruits won't have to worry about anything. Players going to the MAC and SWAC might have to look around. But there is plenty of space throughout the country for players. 

I don't really see that changing much, though -- I think teams with scholarship spots open will continue to keep them open.  I don't think they are keeping them open because they couldn't put a body there.  I think they are open because a lot of coaches would rather have it empty so that they don't have to worry about a guy on the end of the bench complaining about playing time.  Not just that, but now they have players on their squad that can stay for five years so they keep the spot open in case one wants an additional year.

Of course the top players aren't going to effected, never implied that.  All I have said is that the next few classes will have significantly less scholarship opportunities then the ones prior and the ones that will follow them....and I don't agree with the NCAA in giving everyone the extra year.

3 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I could see no reason why Race would transfer.  He would be the focal point underneath at IU and already is given the freedom to shoot from deep as well.  IMO, he's either back, he graduates and looks to play overseas, or he graduates and looks to get on with the next part of his life.

Or he could transfer to a program that will actually make the dance. We’re looking pretty weak next year. He’s been here since 2017 and has never been dancing, I imagine he’s ready to move on especially with his best friend going pro. 

2 hours ago, ziggyiu said:

Wish everyone the best no matter what happens. Based on playing time, new recruits, draft projections, the transfer portal, etc. it's tough to guess. 

One thing I'm curious about is if CMW will pursue another guard in the portal at the end of the season. We need more guard help than what CJ Gunn and JHS can provide next year. 

TJD - I think he stays. He is not close to getting drafted. The staff is trying to get him into the mind set that he's a sophomore, that's why he is listed as one. I imagine he'll test the NBA waters and get feedback for how to improve him game (the broad strokes we all already know), and he'll return to work on those aspects.

Race - Taking the opportunity to speak at senior night makes me think he's leaning toward leaving. Opens the door for more JG (good, bad or otherwise). 

Michael - I think he goes somewhere else for more minutes. 

Parker - A little surprised to learn he'll give a speech tomorrow based on the journey he's had in his college career, though maybe he isn't jiving with this staff (ie, the suspension, the benchings). He has been more active driving the ball in the second half of the season, which makes me think he's taking to the coaching. 

Kopp - He hasn't provided what we brought him in for. He's too one dimensional and too hesitant to pull the trigger in his one dimension. Nothing would surprise me, but I think his minutes could be best used by someone else. 

Rob - Such a heartbreaking career. Would be a little surprised if he stayed, but not leaning into the senior night speech was interesting. He could find himself behind X and JHS.

Lander - Maybe he goes, maybe not. He has his whole career in front of him with the covid year and potential redshirt year. If he were to transfer, where would he go? I would think IU is still his best bet if he wants to play high level college ball. 

Logan - Don't know why he'd transfer. Staff really wanted him to stay committed last year. He needed a season to gain weight and learn from experienced players. I think he can bring it in spurts next year. 

Our walk on got in before Logan did two weeks ago. That screams volumes. 

1 minute ago, Trish said:

Our walk on got in before Logan did two weeks ago. That screams volumes. 

Huh? We have a walk-on big that got in before Logan?

i must have missed that 

3 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

None of these would surprise me, but it would mean that Jordan G. is our entire returning front line. I think this opens up 3 spots we could fill from the portal? I suppose we'd have a good selling point...big minutes up for grabs!

He won’t be

12 minutes ago, Trish said:

Or he could transfer to a program that will actually make the dance. We’re looking pretty weak next year. He’s been here since 2017 and has never been dancing, I imagine he’s ready to move on especially with his best friend going pro. 

He’ll dance this year