Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Replacing Assembly Hall

Came across this interesting article in the Indy Star today about how Assembly Hall was nearly replaced.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/11/04/indiana-basketball-there-plan-replace-ius-assembly-hall-new-arena-hoosiers/6282066001/

It’s likely a moot point for the foreseeable future after all the recent renovations, but there are a lot of good arguments for replacing Assembly Hall. The lower deck has a lot of bad seats. An arena like Banker’s Life (or whatever it’s called now) doesn’t have a bad seat in the house. It’s a great place to watch a game. Replacing Assembly Hall would objectively create better views for the fans. The arena, though renovated, still had the same old bones. I can see why they wanted it replaced.

Despite that, I never want to get rid of Assembly Hall. It’s unique. It’s iconic. A cookie cutter new arena undistinguishable from the dozens like it around the country wouldn’t feel right. Long live Assembly Hall! 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Came across this interesting article in the Indy Star today about how Assembly Hall was nearly replaced.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/11/04/indiana-basketball-there-plan-replace-ius-assembly-hall-new-arena-hoosiers/6282066001/

It’s likely a moot point for the foreseeable future after all the recent renovations, but there are a lot of good arguments for replacing Assembly Hall. The lower deck has a lot of bad seats. An arena like Banker’s Life (or whatever it’s called now) doesn’t have a bad seat in the house. It’s a great place to watch a game. Replacing Assembly Hall would objectively create better views for the fans. The arena, though renovated, still had the same old bones. I can see why they wanted it replaced.

Despite that, I never want to get rid of Assembly Hall. It’s unique. It’s iconic. A cookie cutter new arena undistinguishable from the dozens like it around the country wouldn’t feel right. Long live Assembly Hall! 

I've wanted a new arena for awhile. But even with a new one, I wouldn't want to tear down Assembly Hall. It could definitely still be used. 

25 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I've wanted a new arena for awhile. But even with a new one, I wouldn't want to tear down Assembly Hall. It could definitely still be used. 

If it was going to happen, it should have been torn down right after Miller was released, ending the last debacle, and a new one announced with the hiring of CMW.

Edited by Joe_hoopsier

If it was going to happen, it should have been torn down right after Miller was released, ending the last debacle, and a new one announced with the hiring of CMW.
No it should have been torn down when knight was fired. Crean had some big moments there but everyone else especially archie has tarnished it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just don't bring up replacing Memorial Stadium. Don't even think about going there. 

In the 61 years it has been open, there's gotta be at least -- oh, six or seven or so -- memorable moments. 

Beautiful fall afternoons. Stadium one-third full. Hoosiers getting poleaxed.

Precious memories. 

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm not saying they should replace SSAH, but it's not as if the only two options are keep the building or build what everyone else is building. Some new facilities do a great job of providing modern conveniences (like better site lines) while artfully, respectfully paying homage to the past. 

We've probably all sat in some less than desirable seats in AH at some point, but I don't think anything a new arena could provide would be worth leaving behind the uniqueness, character, and history AH offers.  I feel like every arena in our conference built in the 90's or later looks exactly the same and basically just resembles a smaller NBA arena.

For instance, Nebraska has the newest arena in the B1G by quite a bit (opened in 2013), and if we tore down Assembly Hall to build something like this uninspiring thing I would be a little downhearted as a fan.

image.thumb.png.5b7e5bfb7277939252745da6546df53a.png

2 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

We've probably all sat in some less than desirable seats in AH at some point, but I don't think anything a new arena could provide would be worth leaving behind the uniqueness, character, and history AH offers.  I feel like every arena in our conference built in the 90's or later looks exactly the same and basically just resembles a smaller NBA arena.

For instance, Nebraska has the newest arena in the B1G by quite a bit (opened in 2013), and if we tore down Assembly Hall to build something like this uninspiring thing I would be a little downhearted as a fan.

image.thumb.png.5b7e5bfb7277939252745da6546df53a.png

You could replace the floor in that picture with any NBA floor and I’d probably believe you if you said it was that team’s arena. You’re SO right about the unique architecture of Assembly. It may not be the best place to watch a game, but it’s one of the 3 coolest hands down. The bad seats give it its charm. 

It’s takes all of my strength to not, as a mod, dump this thread.
Not because anything is against board rules or inappropriate.
Solely because any talk of getting rid of Assembly Hall is heresy.

I agree

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Assembly Hall is less than perfect as a place to watch a game from some places, but replacing it would be mistake.

When Indiana is good. the home court advantage there is one of the best in the country.  The angle of the stairs is several degrees beyond what OSHA and other regulations would allow today.   WAY steeper (and as a result, fans are "on top" of the floor) than can be built now.  Therefore louder.  The pic of Nebraska's arena is about how anything new would look.    Keep upgrading it, but replacing it is a bad idea for myriad reasons.