Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - SF Bryson Tucker to INDIANA

Disclaimer: not a feel good post.

Sucks that this is where I'm at as a fan, can't even feel a modicum of excitement when a 5* McDonald's All American commits. Yet here we are. 

Tucker's game is clearly in the interior, and excels in the midrange more than perimeter. I foresee more clogged lanes given our front court situation. 

Has Woodson ever watched this kid play in person? Or did he just notice there's a 5 star kid that hasn't committed, and threw a bunch of other people's money at him? Feels like it would help to know what the player is like in a game situation, but that would require putting in time to be a recruiter.

Regardless, seems like a good player, and should definitely raise our floor next year. 

Just having a hard time with the whole 3 high schools in 4 years kind of thing, and doubt he's the answer we're looking for.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

I like that Woody was able to replace Liam with what seems like a better player.

I'm not sure about this but I do like to have potential NBA level talent on the roster.  If things go well this is a big hit.  It could go a bunch of ways to be honest but i'm excited to see talent in Candy Stripes.  Just hoping it all looks different in action.  

Bryson excels in the midrange and to be honest that worries me.  Pairing that with Perkins as our potential lead point guard.  is not embracing the 3 point game.  I think Woody is bound and determined to prove that 80's basketball > then modern basketball.  

I love watching our talented players.  I expect this to be another one and really hope its WITH Mgbako instead of IN PLACE of Mgbako.  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Two of those three do not want to play the position we fans want them to play. We'll see if I'm wrong but part of the negotiation for one of them and an ongoing negotiation for the other is to play where they want. MM is a 3 he says, MR is a 4 not a 5 in their opinions. That doesn't mean they won't play those spots some but they feel they are 3's and 4's. 

I agree but there were definitely times where MM played the 4 and MR the 5 last season.  Better roster flexibility IMO puts them in a position to see more time at the 4 and 5.  

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I'm not sure about this but I do like to have potential NBA level talent on the roster.  If things go well this is a big hit.  It could go a bunch of ways to be honest but i'm excited to see talent in Candy Stripes.  Just hoping it all looks different in action.  

Bryson excels in the midrange and to be honest that worries me.  Pairing that with Perkins as our potential lead point guard.  is not embracing the 3 point game.  I think Woody is bound and determined to prove that 80's basketball > then modern basketball.  

I love watching our talented players.  I expect this to be another one and really hope its WITH Mgbako instead of IN PLACE of Mgbako.  

I hope as well that it’s with Mgbako, but I also prefer that if Mgbako it’s nice to have a player like Young there and an open spot to try and replace some things that MM did.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I agree but there were definitely times where MM played the 4 and MR the 5 last season.  Better roster flexibility IMO puts them in a position to see more time at the 4 and 5.  

Yup, and people tend to lose sight of the fact that labels are meaningless. 1-5 was literally created to simplify diagraming and teaching sets. It’s not about labels, it’s about scheme. Anybody think Reneau would have a problem playing the role labeled as a 5 in Oats’ or Moser’s systems? Of course not. If the staff has shown these guys schematic changes that opens the floor and creates operating space, call them whatever you want and they’ll be fine. Hell, call Reneau a PG if he wants. Introduce your entire lineup as PG’s if they want. It doesn’t matter.

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

1 thing I just realized we’ve never talked about around here: You won’t see videos of Tucker playing travel ball because he never played travel ball. He did a couple of top 100-type camps and played some international team ball, but otherwise his summers were all skill development work and school. He was so far ahead academically that last spring he was considered an almost certain reclass. At 1 point he was pretty much universally penciled into Mich St’s ‘23 class. Make no mistake, he’s kind of a different kid. 

Really? That is pretty awesome. The last time I remember hearing about that happening was with Yogi Ferrell.

Maybe he can be Diamint Blazi's tutor.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Really? That is pretty awesome. The last time I remember hearing about that happening was with Yogi Ferrell.

I remember reading somewhere Tucker being dragged that he was only taking a single class each semester at Bishop O’Connell when in reality he didn’t have to take any and he was only doing it to be eligible to play as a senior.

54 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Tucker won’t turn 18 until this summer so think it wouldn’t have made sense for him to reclassify even though he wa ahead on credits. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

In terms of where he scores on the court, he’s similar to JHS.

That was my impression too. And some YouTube video is pretty impressive (of course anyone's highlights can be impressive at that level)

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

In terms of where he scores on the court, he’s similar to JHS.

This is what I was thinking and as much of a proponent of the perimeter game as I am, this is not necessarily a bad thing. While the mid-range shot is on stats less valuable than outside shooting, it absolutely does help space the floor if you have a legit solid regular midrange shooter - like JHS was. If he has game like that, it's a plus. Still need perimeter shooting, but it's still a plus and maybe a big one as he develops (again, kind of like JHS, who made major strides in his game starting around the mid-point).

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Yup, and people tend to lose sight of the fact that labels are meaningless. 1-5 was literally created to simplify diagraming and teaching sets. It’s not about labels, it’s about scheme. Anybody think Reneau would have a problem playing the role labeled as a 5 in Oats’ or Moser’s systems? Of course not. If the staff has shown these guys schematic changes that opens the floor and creates operating space, call them whatever you want and they’ll be fine. Hell, call Reneau a PG if he wants. Introduce your entire lineup as PG’s if they want. It doesn’t matter.

Yes, and a 2 and a 3 are basically the same position, they just play opposite sides of the floor -- that often gets lost in the "wing" discussion. It's how they're played, schematically, that matters.