Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s fine Scotty.  Just reading tea leaves and being a fan.  Somethings are tells and somethings aren’t.  If we miss on Queen, we will transition to the next recruit. We will flip Catchings (lol) or go after X, Y, Z. It’ll all be fine by Indiana standards. 

I just don't stress out about things that I have no control over. We will get players through the portal and probably get some soring signees

He picked that 7’3 Jacobsen kid to Wisconsin like last night…..andddd that kid committed Purdue like 20 minutes ago 

To his credit he rescinded his pick early yesterday, early.

As far as Queen goes, it isn’t over until it’s over. Maryland may well lead, but maybe we want him bad enough to make a strong offer. Who knows. But Trilly is a darn good judge of where a recruitment is at the moment. He hasn’t GIF’d it yet. Retain hope until GIF comes out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

To his credit he rescinded his pick early yesterday, early.

As far as Queen goes, it isn’t over until it’s over. Maryland may well lead, but maybe we want him bad enough to make a strong offer. Who knows. But Trilly is a darn good judge of where a recruitment is at the moment. He hasn’t GIF’d it yet. Retain hope until GIF comes out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Rescinding picks is the problem. Then the "experts" get to claim, 2nd, 3rd, 4th bite an accurate predicton.

23 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Rescinding picks is the problem. Then the "experts" get to claim, 2nd, 3rd, 4th bite an accurate predicton.

People are knocking him. He’s missed 2 of 97.  Plus this one although it was hardly a miss. He got bad info and then realized it the day before the commitment. So if we want to call it a miss, fine.  He’s missed 3 of 98.  

He has not been your usual random crystal ball guy. His accuracy has been nothing short of amazing.  I mean, to each their own with how much they want to put into him, but he’s as inside as anyone can be.  And it’s because he has multiple sources all over and he cross references them. It’s not a 1 man show.  

HE DIDN’T GIF Derik Queen.  That’s when his numbers are 95/98.  So, our odds are better than that at this point. 

He also never GIF’d Fland to IU although he made 2 references that IU lead.  And I believe we did.  So the Queen recruitment could turn out to be Fland in reverse.  

I won’t “freak out” until the roster is set. I’ve long stated the Transfer Portal is the gift of all gifts.  I much prefer the transfer portal in general but some balance is necessary between the two. The TP will always benefit the deepest pockets. And by many accounts we have some deep pockets, so I will not freak out unless we miss in both recruting windows.  And we won’t under this staff and this current NIL set up.  All it means to me, is the pressure will be on for the staff and the portal is the last chance.  The nerves will ratchet up a little bit come Spring. The staff has publically stated they wanted 3-4 recruits this cycle and then fill from the portal.  IF we get 1, that’s a derivation from the staffs expectations and they will need to pivot and find success. We’ve got a big recruitng staff and budget.  If Ware and Mgbako have the seasons they are capable of this year recruitng will get exponentially easier for us going forward, I think. 

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I won’t “freak out” until the roster is set. I’ve long stated the Transfer Portal is the gift of all gifts.  I much prefer the transfer portal in general but some balance is necessary between the two. The TP will always benefit the deepest pockets. And by many accounts we have some deep pockets, so I will not freak out unless we miss in both recruting windows.  And we won’t under this staff and this current NIL set up.  All it means to me, is the pressure will be on for the staff and the portal is the last chance.  The nerves will ratchet up a little bit come Spring. The staff has publically stated they wanted 3-4 recruits this cycle and then fill from the portal.  IF we get 1, that’s a derivation from the staffs expectations and they will need to pivot and find success. We’ve got a big recruitng staff and budget.  If Ware and Mgbako have the seasons they are capable of this year recruitng will get exponentially easier for us going forward, I think. 

I think for me the key reason why the transfer portal can’t always be our salvation and we need to have success in HS recruiting is that the best players rarely hit the transfer portal. 

We might get a good guard maybe one that will be better than Fland in November. Doubtful we could get one better than him in March 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think for me the key reason why the transfer portal can’t always be our salvation and we need to have success in HS recruiting is that the best players rarely hit the transfer portal. 

We might get a good guard maybe one that will be better than Fland in November. Doubtful we could get one better than him in March 

Disagree. Hunter Dickerson was literally the best player available in the recruiting market last season and it seemed like there were about 10-15 other guys in the portal that should be absolute difference makers for their teams. Whether it’s dudes moving up from low/mid majors or P5 guys looking for better fits, there will be very good players available in the portal. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier Roots said:

Disagree. Hunter Dickerson was literally the best player available in the recruiting market last season and it seemed like there were about 10-15 other guys in the portal that should be absolute difference makers for their teams. Whether it’s dudes moving up from low/mid majors or P5 guys looking for better fits, there will be very good players available in the portal. 

Only 10-15 potential difference makers across the 60 or so high major programs that will all potentially be vying for them makes for really tough odds. 

4 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

Only 10-15 potential difference makers across the 60 or so high major programs that will all potentially be vying for them makes for really tough odds. 

Same tough odds as the 10 difference making Freshman that those high majors are chasing.   Recruiting difference makers is always going to be a battle 

40 minutes ago, Hoosier Roots said:

I think you might be overstating the number of elite 5 star quality players that are hitting the transfer portal.  Especially true for guards. 

And i never said there weren’t impact players. But for example had we whiffed on JHS last year. who hit the transfer portal last year who could have replaced him. 

27 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

I think 10-15 guys that have a pretty good chance to be star level players for good teams along with plenty of guys who have proven that they can be decent players at the college level isn’t a bad market to have to turn to in my opinion. Helps that you have past college performance to judge these guys on. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think you might be overstating the number of elite 5 star quality players that are hitting the transfer portal.  Especially true for guards. 

And i never said there weren’t impact players. But for example had we whiffed on JHS last year. who hit the transfer portal last year who could have replaced him. 

I think Tyrese Hunter and Nijel Pack were in the portal that year. 

Not saying we should only rely on the transfer portal, I just think it’s a pretty good place to turn to. Anyways derik queen isn’t in the transfer portal so it doesn’t matter. 

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Kendric Davis, Pack, Hunter, Malachi smith, Tristan newton, Ramey, Baylor S( went to Creighton), Marc sears, etc.   plenty of talent out there.   At the time JHS wasn’t looked at as a 1 and done. If they would  of whiffed my guess is they would if went harder at one of the guards in the portal.    Recruiting transfers is just as important as high school kids in todays college basketball world 

28 minutes ago, Hoosier Roots said:

I think Tyrese Hunter and Nijel Pack were in the portal that year. 

Not saying we should only rely on the transfer portal, I just think it’s a pretty good place to turn to. Anyways derik queen isn’t in the transfer portal so it doesn’t matter. 

15 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Kendric Davis, Pack, Hunter, Malachi smith, Tristan newton, Ramey, Baylor S( went to Creighton), Marc sears, etc.   plenty of talent out there.   At the time JHS wasn’t looked at as a 1 and done. If they would  of whiffed my guess is they would if went harder at one of the guards in the portal.    Recruiting transfers is just as important as high school kids in todays college basketball world 

A lot of those guys are 5 inches shorter than JHS and still in college so I’m going to guess they would not have had nearly the same impact.  

By definition a transfer isn’t going to have the same impact as a one and done 

55 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Same tough odds as the 10 difference making Freshman that those high majors are chasing.   Recruiting difference makers is always going to be a battle 

I agree with you, and that wasn't the point.

I disagree with the previously stated position that the 10-15 difference makers in the portal come spring are enough to offset the swings and misses with high school recruits in the fall. 

It's easier to maintain success, show development, create a culture and much more when successfully reeling in high school kids. 

I like the portal. I can be a great boost for a program. I just don't believe it has the same sustainable benefits as being great at recruiting high school kids.