Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

33 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Yep went in on three guys and only got one. 2024 was supposed to be our big monster class. Strategy may need to change unless you want to scramble every spring in the portal.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

So far we have went in on many, many guys and gotten one, but Derik Queen is most certainly not one of the ones we've missed on at this point. Because he hasn't announced anything yet.

So far we have went in on many, many guys and gotten one, but Derik Queen is most certainly not one of the ones we've missed on at this point. Because he hasn't announced anything yet.
Seems we went after three the hardest though as the focal points.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And so far we are one for two.

When you’re going after five stars, that is a fantastic success rate. One for three is pretty good too.

But it wasn’t 3.  We tried Harper, Bidunga, Newell pretty hard and got a foot in the door.

We tried to get involved with Edgecomb, Boateng, and Ngongba. 

Either way, I don’t care how it gets done, just need to build a serious roster that can contend. Fortunately Spring recruiting now affords many opportunities. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

1 minute ago, mike vannice said:

Seems as if Trilly is hunting clicks. All quiet on the Derek Queen front. Guess he is waiting for signing day. Glad the Joe Tipton  Instagram thing faded away.

Except the Tipton thing only didn’t materialize (yet) because Queen didn’t want to partake. If I was a Maryland fan, I’d view that as a positive.  

I never thought we were getting Queen, honestly. I can say that I have more optimism now than I did a few weeks ago. My interpretation of Trilly’s article is that Queen and his camp are keeping things extremely close to the vest and he hasn’t heard anything to suggest a changing wind. 

I don’t allow myself to get all worked up over recruiting anymore. I KNEW we weren’t going to land (3) 5 star recruits bc we’ve never been the program to do such a thing. If we can get 1-2 every now and then and continue our portal success, I’m happy. 

2 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Other teams will certainly try and poach him especially if we don't sign anyone else and we only have a so so season

If he was worried about the recruiting class he would have waited to commit to see who we got in this class. People starting freaking out about things that are made up in a posters mind and has no merit to it.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

But it wasn’t 3.  We tried Harper, Bidunga, Newell pretty hard and got a foot in the door.

We tried to get involved with Edgecomb, Boateng, and Ngongba. 

Either way, I don’t care how it gets done, just need to build a serious roster that can contend. Fortunately Spring recruiting now affords many opportunities. 

I’m with you

. @Hornsby said we were one for three that we went after hard. We’re one for two so far, but one for three ain’t bad.

However, I started by saying we’ve gone after a lot more than three.

and yes… I feel like it’s my recruiting slogan; it’s who you get, not who you miss on.

I just can't believe how some of our fans can talk themselves into things when there has not been any news at all. Social media can be good in some cases but when it comes to recruiting it causes people to to overreact to every little thing.

15 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

Seems as if Trilly is hunting clicks. All quiet on the Derek Queen front. Guess he is waiting for signing day. Glad the Joe Tipton  Instagram thing faded away.

I don’t think that’s the case. He gave updates on several players. It’s just the Queen one wasn’t much of an update. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I just can't believe how some of our fans can talk themselves into things when there has not been any news at all. Social media can be good in some cases but when it comes to recruiting it causes people to to overreact to every little thing.

It’s fine Scotty.  Just reading tea leaves and being a fan.  Somethings are tells and somethings aren’t.  If we miss on Queen, we will transition to the next recruit. We will flip Catchings (lol) or go after X, Y, Z. It’ll all be fine by Indiana standards. 

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Except the Tipton thing only didn’t materialize (yet) because Queen didn’t want to partake. If I was a Maryland fan, I’d view that as a positive.  

I don’t see it that way. If they did it they weren’t even going to discuss his recruitment. However cooler heads prevailed and realized it just wasn’t a great idea. Which it wasn’t for various reasons. 

100% landing McNeely was my first priority so anything else happening was just icing on the cake for me. Knowing what we have now and also our coaching staff, I like our chances to bring in someone great from the portal or a de-commit. I think we will be just fine and going forward well win more of these battles.

Edited by Soulsnipes

Just now, ap2345 said:

I don’t see it that way. If they did it they weren’t even going to discuss his recruitment. However cooler heads prevailed and realized it just wasn’t a great idea. Which it wasn’t for various reasons. 

Could be. It was odd regardless. I imagine Trilly and Tipton talk.  Trilly knows a lot of what Tipton knows. 

1 minute ago, Soulsnipes said:

100% landing McNeely was my first priority so anything else happening was just icing on the cake for me. Knowing what we have now and also are coaching staff I like our chances to bring in someone great from the portal or a de-commit. I think we will be just fine and going forward well win more of these battles.

I agree in principle. The staff is going to extinguish all avenues to try to put together a strong roster. I do have faith in that.  We haven’t resorted to settling yet. We recruited starters and transfers. The vision was clear.  This year, we are projected around 40.  And I like this team.  I want to be better and so does this staff.  Just need to see it happen.