Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey BGleas,

I know you haven’t been there for awhile, but I’m curious about your opinion:

How long a leash do Ainge and Stevens have? “Massholes for life” or “you better start winning soon”

I think they have a pretty long leash. Wyc and Danny love Stevens, and they don't make decisions on fan pressure. 

With that said, 9 years is a long time for an NBA coach. Wyc and Danny know that this season isn't on Stevens, its more on Ainge. 

But, I think if Ainge leaves it will be a mutual agreement to retire, not a firing. But I think Wyc believes in him, and Danny can get this back on track quickly. 

I've actually always thought there was a greater chance that Danny would retire and Stevens would become President/Coach, than there was of Stevens coming back to college. 

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Stevens goes before Ainge. Easily. But he can get another coaching job easy, too. Rest of your theory sounds plausible. 

Very possible. The NBA is not my cup. The current Celtics team is an island of misfit toys. Either way no changes are made this year unless there’s a big falling out or they drop out of the playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It didn’t bother me one bit, what he said anyway.  I thought it was funny.  Brad is just not super witty on camera and looked nervous and uncomfortable saying the things.  You don’t think it was PR and I don’t think it was Brad, maybe it was Mayor Pete....LOL

To kind of set the stage. Those pregame coaches media availabilities are very informal and its the same media people every night. 

Every single game it's basically the same media guys. It's like groundhogs day. The coach and the media almost always make some awkward jokes/banter before the quick Q/A gets going. 

It's not like a formal press conference. My guess is Stevens knew he was talking to the Boston media, the same guys as always, it was routine, etc., and he tried to make it funny and it kind of fell flat. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think they have a pretty long leash. Wyc and Danny love Stevens, and they don't make decisions on fan pressure. 

With that said, 9 years is a long time for an NBA coach. Wyc and Danny know that this season isn't on Stevens, its more on Ainge. 

But, I think if Ainge leaves it will be a mutual agreement to retire, not a firing. But I think Wyc believes in him, and Danny can get this back on track quickly. 

I've actually always thought there was a greater chance that Danny would retire and Stevens would become President/Coach, than there was of Stevens coming back to college. 

That possibility...Ainge retiring and Stevens upgraded makes sense in this scenario of do I stay or go.  JMHO

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Never thought about that. That could be where this is headed at some point. Maybe Stevens has dreams of being a GM and getting away from the coaching part completely. 

Just now, BGleas said:

To kind of set the stage. Those pregame coaches media availabilities are very informal and its the same media people every night. 

Every single game it's basically the same media guys. It's like groundhogs day. The coach and the media almost always make some awkward jokes/banter before the quick Q/A gets going. 

It's not like a formal press conference. My guess is Stevens knew he was talking to the Boston media, the same guys as always, it was routine, etc., and he tried to make it funny and it kind of fell flat. 

Didn’t know that.  Yeah I was only upset that he said no to IU not that he said he’s a Masshole.  I’ve never heard that saying before.  I’ve said it in another thread, I’ll always like Brad and the way he coaches.  Hope he wins multiple NBA championships. 

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Didn’t know that.  Yeah I was only upset that he said no to IU not that he said he’s a Masshole.  I’ve never heard that saying before.  I’ve said it in another thread, I’ll always like Brad and the way he coaches.  Hope he wins multiple NBA championships. 

Yeah, Masshole is a pretty common phrase upcthat way. 

I hope he wins a bunch of titles too :)

3 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

Never thought about that. That could be where this is headed at some point. Maybe Stevens has dreams of being a GM and getting away from the coaching part completely. 

I think he'll still coach for a long time, but could see him as the President/Coach like a Popovich. 

The Celtics have one of the brightest cap guru's in the league as their GM (i think that's his title now, we used to share a cubicle), so that part would be covered. 

34 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It’s over, all I’ll say is that wasn’t Brad Stevens at the presser yesterday.  I think that was a damage control presser from a PR guy for the Celtics.  No way that was Brad, no way.  It’s time to move on to the next!

This post is a good example of why other fan bases/national media give so much sh*t to IU fans. 

Just now, TadQueasy said:

That is not fair and not true. 0708 has done a good job of being as real as possible here, and he doesn’t deserve ignorant shots like this

The idea that Boston wrote him something and told him to say it and Brad didn’t like it or believe it but was just like “sure OK I’ll say it” is asinine and delusional. 

8 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

The idea that Boston wrote him something and told him to say it and Brad didn’t like it or believe it but was just like “sure OK I’ll say it” is asinine and delusional. 

Happens all the time, LOL.... wow out of touch a little I see.

14 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

This post is a good example of why other fan bases/national media give so much sh*t to IU fans. 

10 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

I’m sure there as never been a coach in the NBA or any other sports team that was told to say something by a PR guy.  This was NOT the case this time as @BGleas put that to bed.  He worked there and I trust what he says.  I think he would also would agree some PR guys have to tell certain coaches what to say.