Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's just it...He DOESN'T have a "dumpster fire record" at all...See my post on the last page...

How is 3 winning seasons in 8 good? Maybe not a dumpster fire but it’s not good and lends no confidence that he’d succeed at IU. 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's just it...He DOESN'T have a "dumpster fire record" at all...See my post on the last page...

NBA coaches get passed around like blunts. If he was seen as a good head coach in the NBA then he would’ve been hired by someone between 2014 and now. He hasn’t been. He’s a fine assistant coach, but that’s not what he’d be hired for at IU. You hire the best candidate available, not the first IU guy who walks through the door. If Mike Woodson is the best candidate available... Yikes.

10 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

Doesn't matter the coaches resume. If he's a former IU player some of our fans will do the mental gymnastics necessary to justify it. Does it bring added value to be a former player ? Sure it definitely is a plus but you got to have the coaching chops and record to back it up. If I could get anyone else who has a much better resume why would I settle for the guy with a dumpster fire record just because he played here.

Exactly like how Woodson has some great coaching record in the nba, yet only has 3 winning seasons in 8 years. 

11 minutes ago, madmax said:

Context doesn't change the overall record or lack of recruiting experience, or experience coaching college ball in general.

It does change how one should interpret the overall record. 

If coach A and coach B had the same record at two teams in the same league with a balanced round robin style schedule, a priori one would assume that the coaches are pretty equivalent. If I then add the additional information that Coach A has a starting 5 of Lebron, Seth, Davis... and Coach B's best two players are IUFLA (no offense intended if you are actually a good player) and myself then one might reassess that coach B is much better. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He literally checks zero of the boxes. Well, I guess he checks the “played basketball 40+ years ago for Bob Knight” box. He’s 62 years old and never coached at the college level or recruited in his life. 

He actually checks multiple boxes: former IU player, NBA coaching experience, and was a pretty damn good shooter/scorer - something our current roster desperately needs coaching on.

Does it make him a top level candidate? I'd think not because of his lack of experience at the college level.  Still, his coaching acumen is no worse that some names that have been thrown out there.

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

id say its the opposite way around.

I doubt the team’s been told. I would guess Kendrick tweeted then Lander saw it. Lander texted Kendrick to see what he knew. Then Lander tweeted that he liked what he heard that’s purely speculation but it’s based on the timing of the tweets.

1 minute ago, mdiu28 said:

If Woodson didn't go to IU, would the Woodson defenders still want him? 

NO. We wouldn't even be talking about him. Why isn't he in the conversation for other college jobs if he's so great? 

We would not be talking about him because he would not be interested in the job.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

NBA coaches get passed around like blunts. If he was seen as a good head coach in the NBA then he would’ve been hired by someone between 2014 and now. He hasn’t been. He’s a fine assistant coach, but that’s not what he’d be hired for at IU. You hire the best candidate available, not the first IU guy who walks through the door. If Mike Woodson is the best candidate available... Yikes.

This, this this. 

I'm sure Mike Woodson is a fine man and terrific coach. Is he THE best coach IU can acquire? Does anyone (likely including Mike Woodson) believe that? No, not one person in the entire world does. Hire the best you can get, which does not include Mike Woodson. 

1 minute ago, pumpfake said:

He actually checks multiple boxes: former IU player, NBA coaching experience, and was a pretty damn good shooter/scorer - something our current roster desperately needs coaching on.

Does it make him a top level candidate? I'd think not because of his lack of experience at the college level.  Still, his coaching acumen is no worse that some names that have been thrown out there.

How?  3 winning seasons in 8, how on earth is that considered successful? 

1 minute ago, mdiu28 said:

If Woodson didn't go to IU, would the Woodson defenders still want him? 

NO. We wouldn't even be talking about him. Why isn't he in the conversation for other college jobs if he's so great? 

Because that’s just the way it works. Juwan Howard wouldn’t be at Michigan if he didn’t play there. Patrick Ewing wouldn’t be at Georgetown if he didn’t play there. Not saying it’s the right or wrong move, but that’s just how these things work. 

Hire him as an assistant coach then. High school recruits don’t know who Mike Woodson is. IU fans under the age of 30 barely know who Mike Woodson is. Mike Woodson is a terrible candidate, to be quite honest.

Bob Knight is gone. The days of Bob Knight basketball are over. We need to figure out a way to make IU basketball a successful 21st century program, not hire a guy who will make fans feel warm and fuzzy because he reminds them of the good ole days.
We've had 20 yrs of the NOT "good old days". Seems to be working real well. Same people blaming the curse of RMK.....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Indiana8585 said:

If Woodson wasn’t a former IU star people would be shocked and angry if we were linked with an nba coach who had his record. Especially without any college coaching experience. 

Yes but being an alum always makes a difference. If Howard wasn’t a Michigan alum should he have gotten the Michigan job replacing Beilein. Probably not. I don’t want Woodson but being an alum always plays a factor.

6 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

How is 3 winning seasons in 8 good? Maybe not a dumpster fire but it’s not good and lends no confidence that he’d succeed at IU. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

As I said, note the improvement from year 1 with the Hawks to year 6...

Also, his first year of coach of the Knicks, he replace Mike D'antoni who was 18-24...He finished the Knicks out with an 18-6 record...

Edited by IUFLA