Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

43 minutes ago, Treesh said:

And if those "big" guys say no. Then Indiana Basketball has indeed fallen off. Jay Bilas may finally be right. 

Striking out this time around will tell us what we need to know. 

Why is that and indication on IU because guys are happy where they are at.  You even said it yourself that Musselman won't leave Arkansas because it is a good job.  I bet UCLA fans wasn't thrilled with the Cronin hire but he has them in the sweet 16 in year 2.   If it just about going to the highest bidder or the best programs Mark few wouldn't still be at Gonzaga.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why don't you find another team to root for then if you are this unhappy with the program.  Fans like you are the ones that give this fan base a bad name and why we are a laughing stock nationally.  If you don't like leave and leave the actual IU fans to root for the team.  We were always told to root for the name on the front of the jersey and not the back so I will do just that.  Not to call you out but fans like you make me sick to my stomach and it embarrasses me that IU has fans like you.

I wish I could thank this post more than once. Entirely too much bitching going on from people without a clue as to what is actually happening.

28 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He also got the GOAT quarterback on his team almost immediately. I don't think Tom Brady would be coming to IU with Mike Woodson. I don't really see the point of pointing to anecdotes and saying well it worked for them so it might work for us too. We need this hire to be a good one. If people think the fan base is bad right now, imagine how bad they'll be if this next hire flops too. Are we really going to take a giant risk and hope it pays off? We can't afford that. We need as close to a sure thing as we can get or we can forget about being anything more than Nebraska football, and Mike Woodson is as far from a sure thing as there is.

I post on this website every day and I'm a bad hire away from becoming a casual fan. Why waste my time caring so much about a program that can't get out of its own way? If I, and guys like Treesh, feel that way, imagine how current casual fans feel. We've never had more than a taste of success in our lifetimes. Crean's 3 sweet 16s are the highlight of our IU fandoms. 

Remember, that GOAT quarterback was just a decent QB at Michigan ... who was drafted #199 in the 6th round... so you need a coach who can spot raw talent and recruit.

Just now, Treesh said:

I know I'm overreacting but come on. We're losing 4 out of 5 starters?

FRANK

RACE

AL

TJD

We need a big name hire to get transfers in. 

I could care less if we suck the next 2 years if we get the right guy. Of course I don’t want them to transfer, but ultimately if Dolson hiring a good guy takes a long time I’d rather he be patient then rush a hire just to keep our current roster from transferring.

Just now, Treesh said:

FRANK

RACE

AL

TJD

Are we losing them?  They still may come back. It would be silly for them to not explore all options given the uncertainty. 

why do we as a fan base overreact to everything??

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I don't think Mike Woodson is going to generate the excitement in the fan base or recruits. I also believe IU needs to have a proven P5 coach with less risk at this point and time. I am on record as not thinking any of the "IU guys" are in a position to take over this program currently. IF Dolson goes hard after Beard, Muss, Drew, etc. and strikes out on all of them I might understand a Mike Woodson type hire. However, if he is not talking to all of those guys first I think this is a big mistake. One other thing to think about...what happens in 3-4 years of Mike Woodson is not cutting it? Will Dolson have more pressure to fire an "IU guy" than an Archie Miller?

Obviously Dolson needs to determine if Woodson has the personality and energy to bring in recruits. We simply do not know there and fans will come back when we are winning. Proven power 5 is relative - I do not know details on the discussions with Dolson, but winning in the SEC can (and not due to playing style...) can be very different than winning at IU. If the Perea story is true, I will only support Drew if he is actually hired. Until then, threatening someone with deportation is a no-go in my book. 

However the bolded part is one of the reasons I think Woodson is the lowest risk hires we have. If he is not cutting it in 5 years, he can just retire. If he is doing well,  we can get 5 more good years out of him. There is limited risk. 

I am not Woodson or bust, there are lot of names that excite me on our list (I do no get the panic crowd). And I will support our coach, regardless of who he/she is, until they cease to be our coach (I was still behind CAM until the end... especially because he did not cheat).

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

I'm starting to think the Woodson talk has legs and everyone is jumping ship.

I just don't think they know anything so they want to see what options they have. The problem will be when a school calls and says we want you but you have to make a decision before this other kid or you won't have a spot. Then they decide to leave before IU even hires a coach. 

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Your whole "I'm a better fan than you" schtick is honestly getting really tiring. Fans are allowed to have expectations for the teams they root for. IU has failed to meet those expectations for the past two decades. The only embarrassing thing here has been IU basketball for the past 20 years.  That's why we're a national laughing stock. 

And the last 20 years IU went outside the IU family and it has not worked.  So I am to the point why not go back to the philosophy that has worked in the past.  We bring up names like Oats and Musselman as great hires but those two have only done it for a couple of years at a power 5 conference.

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

FRANK

RACE

AL

TJD

I think you know and not giving you a hard time, but just because get on the transfer list doesn't mean they're transferring -- this is basically normal, with the coach fired and it yet being unknown who the replacement will be. Depending on who we get, any or all of these could return, we just don't know.

My question is, at what point do we need to have a coach in place, to ensure they can have a chance to pound the transfer market? My concern is we continue to drag this out, and miss the mark on the big transfers. 

Coaches are connecting with transfers, building relationships, and the last thing we want to do is be late to that party...if the IU players in the portal aren't wowed by the coach, and decide to transfer, we have to make sure we can field a freaking team. 

3 minutes ago, IUCane said:

Are we losing them?  They still may come back. It would be silly for them to not explore all options given the uncertainty. 

why do we as a fan base overreact to everything??

They are more than likely gone come on. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

And the last 20 years IU went outside the IU family and it has not worked.  So I am to the point why not go back to the philosophy that has worked in the past.  We bring up names like Oats and Musselman as great hires but those two have only done it for a couple of years at a power 5 conference.

What has any of the Indiana family names EVER did in a power 5 conference? 

18 minutes ago, Treesh said:

The Indiana fan base in general is toxic. Ever visited Facebook Indiana pages or Twitter? I know you're older in age and might not appreciate the changing viewpoints of Indiana Basketball but the times have changed. 

Additionally, it's a message board. If you think we're all going to be on the same page then you're drinking some strong apple juice in the morning. It's our choice to sit on our phones and laptops and share who we think should be the next coach for this reason and the next. If you don't like my thoughts then I suggest you don't attend any Indiana games or visit Twitter.. or Facebook or I guess in this case message boards. 

I am 50 and have seen what has worked at IU and what has not so I am in favor of trying what has worked again.  I have seen what good basketball looks like and in college today isn't it

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I think you know and not giving you a hard time, but just because get on the transfer list doesn't mean they're transferring -- this is basically normal, with the coach fired and it yet being unknown who the replacement will be. Depending on who we get, any or all of these could return, we just don't know.

I know how it looks. I get testing the waters. Most kids would and probably should but.. the timing is interesting to me.