Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm quoting your bracketology posts here with a question for two guys who are relatively keen watchers of these programs:

If you had to assess which guy is most ready to make the jump and potentially succeed for 20 years at an extremely beloved P5 program, who would you choose between

• Darian DeVries and
  • Josh Schertz 

Feel free to add to your assessment

• DMay
  • None of the above

If you're willing to bite on this one, I'd much appreciate not just the 'who,' but also the 'why.'

DeVries.  138 wins so far and counting in his 6th year with Drake.  Ties to McDermott.  

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

My immediate answer without thinking too hard was DeVries. He's been at the D1 level a lot longer, worked under two very good head coaches (Altman and McDermott) for over 15 years at Creighton, has some NCAA tournament experience, and a really solid record at a school that wasn't exactly a March Madness regular before he got there (he has 2 of their 6 all-time appearances in 5 years). I admittedly know very little about his demeanor off the court and how he'd handle everything that comes with leading a certain beloved P5 program. With his son being out of Drake soon, I'd be looking for him to make a move up though, especially if he makes the tournament again this year.

Then I thought about it a little more and in the past few years I've really started to buy into the "HIRE WINNERS" mantra and...Josh Schertz has a winning % approaching 80 in 15 years as a head coach, is the same age as DeVries with more experience being in charge of a program, and has folks that are way basketball-smarter than I salivating over what he's doing offensively. I've said this to you guys on the mod board, someone is going to hire this guy and he's going to make them very happy.

In fairness to my final point in the DeVries paragraph, I think Schertz reads a little too much social media based on some of his press conferences. He's made no bones about calling out fans when he thinks they're wrong and this is in Terre Haute where, I kid you not, there are about 40 people who truly, deeply care about that program. Those are probably just some edges that need smoothing out since this is his first D1 gig, but other than that he's a very personable guy and seems to enjoy the "kissing babies" part of the operation. Or, he's at least not Archie.

Am I pushing for IU to hire Schertz? Idk, I think for now I'm just answering your question, but...

Hire winners.

IMG_4941.gif

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Hire winners.

A lot of guys win at the lower level, though. I like it to a prize fighter climbing up the ranks. When Dusty May gets to the ACC or B1G likely every coach there will be better than the coaches in his current league, for example.  

So how do you sniff out the Bo Ryan’s, Brad Underwoods, Thad Mattas, etc.. from the Archie Millers of the world? I think it is as much of an art as a science. Having an AD who knows how to practice that art is key, imo. 

14 hours ago, Trish said:

The only loss from this staff would be CC. Jordan Hulls is just getting started in his career. I’m sure he’s hoping Woodson improves because a new coach likely won’t keep him around. 

CC has a spot on the staff as long as he wants one. No matter the coach.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think the major problem for Woody right now is the 25 class. I’ve heard that 3 different families have complained about Woodson not coming to one of their kids games like other head coaches. Two of these kids should be slam dunks for IU. Maybe Woody knows he doesn’t want to do it anymore after this season. 

If they miss on the one from Southern Indiana then that would be the biggest mess up and miss by an IU staff since Crean missed on Guy which should of been a slam dunk by IU 

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think the major problem for Woody right now is the 25 class. I’ve heard that 3 different families have complained about Woodson not coming to one of their kids games like other head coaches. Two of these kids should be slam dunks for IU. Maybe Woody knows he doesn’t want to do it anymore after this season. 

Interesting point. It would be one thing if these were out of state guys (that's for Rosemond and Hunter)...but these are in State. 

19 minutes ago, str8baller said:

A lot of guys win at the lower level, though. I like it to a prize fighter climbing up the ranks. When Dusty May gets to the ACC or B1G likely every coach there will be better than the coaches in his current league, for example.  

So how do you sniff out the Bo Ryan’s, Brad Underwoods, Thad Mattas, etc.. from the Archie Millers of the world? I think it is as much of an art as a science. Having an AD who knows how to practice that art is key, imo. 

Totally agree. I guess my point there was: don't write off Schertz because he's mostly been a D2/mid-major guy. If a guy is a slam dunk hire according to your basketball criteria as an athletic director/department, hire him.

Of course it is MUCH more nuanced than that, especially at a place like IU.

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

If they miss on the one from Southern Indiana then that would be the biggest mess up and miss by an IU staff since Crean missed on Guy which should of been a slam dunk by IU 

Agreed. They are an IU family, but not sure their fans of our style of basketball.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

One name I’d keep an eye on is Tony Bennett. Word is he’s not happy that the Virginia administration hasn’t taken to NIL like other schools. He might want to make a change. I know his family history with IU. I just know his name has been mentioned by some.

What other names are being mentioned?

Tony Bennett? Sure. Can't turn down a guy who has won a title, not to mention a ton of games in the ACC.

Can we tolerate an offense scoring 22 points by halftime though? Idk. Also, he's very sink or swim. Been upset by quite a few lower seeded teams, but then again who hasn't. 

Just get a college coach. DeVries checks a lot of boxes too.

One name I’d keep an eye on is Tony Bennett. Word is he’s not happy that the Virginia administration hasn’t taken to NIL like other schools. He might want to make a change. I know his family history with IU. I just know his name has been mentioned by some.
I thought he was who we were hiring when we hired crean.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If we have to watch Sisley tear it up at Purdue then I'm just done caring. 

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I was a big Tony Bennett fan a few years ago, but the bloom seems to be off his rose a bit. Don't know if it's UVA not taking to NIL or what. I do remember reading we contacted him when he was at Wazzou (I can't remember if it was when we hired Sampson or when we hired Crean), but in addition to the fact that we fired his sister, he supposedly didn't want to coach at a place like IU, where he's in a fish bowl and basketball is everything to everybody.

That always seemed odd to me, because while he doesn't necessarily have a huge personality, he is a handsome fella (I'm secure enough in my masculinity to say that), he's well-spoken, he's very bright and seems very likeable. Maybe he's not the kind of guy who likes to hob-knob with alumni or press the flesh or make public appearances -- just wants to recruit and coach and leave it at that.