Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

I think in my ideal lineup the 3 is a Troy Williams/Geronimo/OG type who can shoot, finish at the rim, wreak havoc on defense. It’s hard to find those guys, though, and if they can’t hit 3s they’ve gotta be 4s.

Also, lots of times those guys are best at the 4 anyway, because they play big enough to let you put more shooting out...by playing a 3rd guard. (If either your 4 or 5 can bang 3s and guard well, too, it’s less of an issue).

There aren’t many college teams who can really hurt you if you play a 6’5” guard at the three and take a 6’8” forward off the floor. The equation changes if you’re rolling out two guys who barely clear 6’ though.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I guess.

I’d rather a Geronimo (Troy Williams) type player be our 3. A TJD be our 4 or 5, and another similar player to TJD be our 5. Then give me 2 guards that are triple threats.

Playing Leals or Galloways at the 3 isn’t ideal. I really soured on Galloway last season. Can’t shoot at all. Nice driver, but that doesn’t work well at his size and skills against B1G quality players. Leal, at least, might be able to shoot it consistently. But lacking that much size and athleticism at your 3 spot especially when neither guy has an elite skill isn’t a recipe for success.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not as high on Geronimo as most here.  At least, I'm not sold on his ability to shoot.  10 three point shots isn't much to gauge a guy on and his 5 of 18 from the line says to me there might be some mechanical issues that will show up with a larger sample size.  That said, he's a plus rebounder for his size and is capable of defending the 3 and 4.

That said, I'm higher on Jerome Hunter than most.

In terms of Galloway, I wouldn't sleep on him improving.  Kid is an absolutely worker who will absorb coaching.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I have some early concerns with the whole portal thing, development Vs chasing portal players. 
Guys like Galloway (shooting needs development), Hunter (develop D), etc. have maybe a shorter timeline to develop. Do want to see team improvement through the portal, don’t want to see NBA-style trade market.

A guy like Vic couldn’t shoot early, shot like in the 20’s from deep, junior year shot plus 40 percent from the arc. Any reference to Vic is kind of the outlier because of his huge strides in development, but the signs were there, elite athleticism and D to go with good free throw form and steady development, lots of promise.

Vic is an outlier but there are lots of guys with high level talent and upside that can get passed over in this shiny new thing approach to team building. 
Galloway is an exceptional player with a strong work ethic, really good floor vision and downhill skill. Absolutely needs to develop a shot, but really should have that opportunity on what he has shown as a player before running into the portal, imo - long rant but seeing early signs of a shiny new thing instead of development approach

Not disputing your premise as I agree with the idea of developing who you have but how can we know if Galloway has a strong work ethic?  Seems a great kid and I don’t have any reason to suspect he isn’t willing to work but I don’t know that I have seen anything to say he has a great work ethic. 

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Not disputing your premise as I agree with the idea of developing who you have but how can we know if Galloway has a strong work ethic?  Seems a great kid and I don’t have any reason to suspect he isn’t willing to work but I don’t know that I have seen anything to say he has a great work ethic. 

I’m going from early practice feedback from players and the way he developed over the first half of the season to work his way into a starting role for a bit. Then teams scouted him and sagged off and he couldn’t hit shots, and maybe he hit that freshman wall. I think his work ethic is there just needs a lot of work on his shot, mechanic is off. If he can develop a shot ....

5 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Past history from high school speaks to Galloway’s work ethic.

De'Vion Harmon - Solely from his comments in the link below, if Texas offers, IMO that's where he goes.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/DeVion-Harmon-transfer-Oklahoma-NBA-Kentucky-Indiana-Texas-Oregon-164230305/

Indiana: “You know how the Hoosiers are. They called me and they’re supposed to have one of the coaches call me later and that will become a more clear message from them. They just said to come join Trayce Jackson-Davis and be the one-two punch.”

College stats:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/devion-harmon-1.html

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Guess we are truly going after another SG.

Staff must really lack faith in our guards.

We have Leal, Galloway, Phin, Lander, Stewart, XJ. 6 guards already.

I guess we should prepare for 3 guard lineups.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

If we just slap a "forward" label on Stewart when he starts at the "3"... is it still a big deal? I guess I don't understand the problem with our "3" being 6'5? 

And I really lack faith in our guards, as well. 

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Borzello - Marquette transfer Theo John is headed to Duke. This was the expectation when he entered the transfer portal earlier this week.

Rothstein - Wake Forest transfer Jahcobi Neath has committed to Wisconsin, per his Twitter page.

Haven't seen that spelling yet. Lol 

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Borzello - Marquette transfer Theo John is headed to Duke. This was the expectation when he entered the transfer portal earlier this week.

Rothstein - Wake Forest transfer Jahcobi Neath has committed to Wisconsin, per his Twitter page.

I still remember Juwan Morgan kicking his @$$ a few years ago. Also watched him plenty since, will be interesting to see how much he actually plays at Duke because if it is a lot they might be in trouble. 

If we just slap a "forward" label on Stewart when he starts at the "3"... is it still a big deal? I guess I don't understand the problem with our "3" being 6'5? 
And I really lack faith in our guards, as well. 
I can see RP gaining his confidence working with Fife getting back to his preconcussion days.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk